Cape Liberty Cruise Port visit 4-25-2015.

captdave

I paid a visit to Cape liberty yesterday morning. Was dropping the wife off at EWR for a flight to New Orleans for the week.

They were doing a dry run of personal at the brand new Terminal Building it seems. Everything looks great, way better than before with the tent.

They did have a parking area with cars already using it within EASY walking distance from the Terminal. For regular cars the parking was fine. No one was outside at the parking area so I have NO information on costs and such...sorry.

I'm guessing you can drop off the family and luggage and drive the 100 yards to parking. There may have been a distant lot but I didn't really look for it.

They have a security contingent located next to the New Terminal, located in the old Tent Terminal. Security personal were driving around the whole time I was there, not bad.

The outside of the New Cape Liberty Terminal looked completed and really nice. Pavement near the Terminal is new and perfect, parking area is old paving and far from perfect. The road in to the Terminal is really bad at parts, watch the potholes. Zero dollars were spent on the road coming in, and it's junk. (if you drive an old junker please ignore the last part, not important to you).

I did a photo shoot before sunrise and a bit after yesterday. If you are coming into NYC on the Summit on your return please catch the sunrise over The City. I took a few photo's while on the Cape Liberty Cruise Port Dock, you don't want to miss the view.

17095333929_d793cc7921_c.jpg

Things still look great after sunrise (yes, I did darken this up a bit for effect).

17257008246_0117e2367f_c.jpg

CaptDave

I paid a visit to Cape liberty yesterday morning. Was dropping the wife off at EWR for a flight to New Orleans for the week.

They were doing a dry run of personal at the brand new Terminal Building it seems. Everything looks great, way better than before with the tent.

They did have a parking area with cars already using it within EASY walking distance from the Terminal. For regular cars the parking was fine. No one was outside at the parking area so I have NO information on costs and such...sorry.

I'm guessing you can drop off the family and luggage and drive the 100 yards to parking. There may have been a distant lot but I didn't really look for it.

They have a security contingent located next to the New Terminal, located in the old Tent Terminal. Security personal were driving around the whole time I was there, not bad.

The outside of the New Cape Liberty Terminal looked completed and really nice. Pavement near the Terminal is new and perfect, parking area is old paving and far from perfect. The road in to the Terminal is really bad at parts, watch the potholes. Zero dollars were spent on the road coming in, and it's junk. (if you drive an old junker please ignore the last part, not important to you).

I did a photo shoot before sunrise and a bit after yesterday. If you are coming into NYC on the Summit on your return please catch the sunrise over The City. I took a few photo's while on the Cape Liberty Cruise Port Dock, you don't want to miss the view.

17095333929_d793cc7921_c.jpg

Things still look great after sunrise (yes, I did darken this up a bit for effect).

17257008246_0117e2367f_c.jpg

CaptDave

Hi thanks for the update ,i was wondering what you meant by regular cars , i have a tacoma will it be different for me?

How was the traffic off the turnpike with the construction....
Getting from EWR to Cape Liberty at 5:00 am was no problem. At 7:00am when I went north to Liberty State Park (my first time there) traffic heading west toward EWR was very bad on I-78. When I left Liberty at 4:00pm the traffic heading I-78 west was still very bad so I took the back roads to Rt 3, thanks God it was daytime.

I'm not from the EWR area so this extra insane traffic was unexpected for me.

CaptDave

Hi thanks for the update ,i was wondering what you meant by regular cars , i have a tacoma will it be different for me?

Tacoma is a normal car to me. In some parts of the country the cars below are normal cars, like in Boca, Scottsdale & Monterey. If you have a McLaren to a Bugatti...keep it at home. Me personally, I wouldn't bring my M3 down that road (if I had one).

17077870916_a31d02159a_c.jpg

17113910112_fed824da21_c.jpg

CaptDave

Getting from EWR to Cape Liberty at 5:00 am was no problem. At 7:00am when I went north to Liberty State Park (my first time there) traffic heading west toward EWR was very bad on I-78. When I left Liberty at 4:00pm the traffic heading I-78 west was still very bad so I took the back roads to Rt 3, thanks God it was daytime.

I'm not from the EWR area so this extra insane traffic was unexpected for me.

CaptDave

Not sure but I think the skyway is closed westbound this month so that could add to the problem.

Not sure but I think the skyway is closed westbound this month so that could add to the problem.

The wife has co-workers who live near or in the city. I will try to find out how long this traffic problem will be. Wife is away in New Orleans for a week so it may be a bit.

I definitely don't want to go through that traffic nightmare again, it was bad.

CaptDave

Right next to the brand new Cape Liberty Cruise Port Terminal is the Tear Drop Memorial. It's so close it's not to be missed.

Arrive early and spend at least 5 minute's here. Great view of lower Manhattan and you can get shots of the Celebrity Summit before you depart.

16670180193_32700c5ca5_c.jpg

CaptDave

How far is the terminal from Newark International?

EWR Terminal C to Cape liberty Cruise Port Terminal is 10.2 miles, 20 minutes with no traffic (that's the hard part to figure out in NJ).

With no traffic it's an easy drive with a Garmin. Newark is not an area you want to get lost in. There is no reason to drive this at night, EVER!

The Cape Liberty Cruise Port / Tear Drop Memorial area seems to be a safe location, even late at night or early morning. Think of it as one of those 5 start resorts on Haiti, you don't leave the grounds.

One street down from Cape Liberty Cruise Port is a somewhat safe strip mall. Wendy's, Dunkin Donuts (poor service) and a Starbucks in the Stop & Shop supermarket (that's quite good). A bunch of other stores also, all safe to visit.

South Cove Commons

1 Lefante Way

Bayonne, NJ 07002

Need a Wal-Mart before the cruise, this is just a short distance from the other mall (a little farther away). Lots of other stores here, had lunch at the TGI Fridays (worst Fridays I've ever been to, safe but bad food).

Bayonne Crossing Shopping Center

321 Bayonne Crossing Way

Bayonne, NJ 07002

Keep your doors locked while driving in places like Newark, trust no one. I have never had a problem.

Anyway, the brand new Cape Liberty Cruise Port Terminal is fantastic.

CaptDave

Tacoma is a normal car to me. In some parts of the country the cars below are normal cars, like in Boca, Scottsdale & Monterey. If you have a McLaren to a Bugatti...keep it at home. Me personally, I wouldn't bring my M3 down that road (if I had one).

17077870916_a31d02159a_c.jpg

17113910112_fed824da21_c.jpg

CaptDave

definitely leaving the boca at home , what is the best way to get there from cruise terminal in nyc?

Is there a chance to buy some last-minute goodies ( water, snacks) in the new terminal?

Not in the terminal. The closest place is in the shopping center mentioned by "captdave", but you can't walk there. You'd have to have transportation such as a taxi to get to and from the shopping center :

South Cove Commons

1 Lefante Way

Bayonne, NJ 07002

Not in the terminal. The closest place is in the shopping center mentioned by "captdave", but you can't walk there. You'd have to have transportation such as a taxi to get to and from the shopping center :

South Cove Commons

1 Lefante Way

Bayonne, NJ 07002

My info was for people driving.

NOTHING is near the Terminal, which is a good thing. Criminals have just about nothing to do there.

Don't just wander about in this part of Jersey, have a plan.

There is a different mentality here in this part of NJ near NYC. If you leave a car unlocked or running you are actually responsible for making the vermin steal. Local judge will just call you stupid for not being on constant alert.

Just be careful out there.

CaptDave

My info was for people driving.

NOTHING is near the Terminal, which is a good thing. Criminals have just about nothing to do there.

Don't just wander about in this part of Jersey, have a plan.

There is a different mentality here in this part of NJ near NYC. If you leave a car unlocked or running you are actually responsible for making the vermin steal. Local judge will just call you stupid for not being on constant alert.

Just be careful out there.

CaptDave

Thank you for the warning. So the best thing obviously is to take a cab from the hotel to the port and buy any small necessities we might need ( some pre-packaged snacks for shore excursions) at the first port stop or firmly put the idea away because there's always too much food to be had on a cruise ship anyway.... ;)

Drving directions from the turnpike and video.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

The ramp is straight across the toll plaza. Here's a video. No real street signs.

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship

Is there road construction going from exit 14 off the Turnpike? Would it be easier to come up 440 from the south? We will be staying in Woodbridge, Nj, so either way will work but traffic brings out the worst in me.

Right next to the brand new Cape Liberty Cruise Port Terminal is the Tear Drop Memorial. It's so close it's not to be missed.

Arrive early and spend at least 5 minute's here. Great view of lower Manhattan and you can get shots of the Celebrity Summit before you depart.

16670180193_32700c5ca5_c.jpg

CaptDave

This look great! And looking at the satellite maps it does look really close to the terminal. Is there a walkway or something that makes it easy to walk over there from the terminal? We'll be getting dropped off at the terminal by a car service, and we'll have our carry-on luggage and a stroller. But I was thinking we could try to get there early and check it out. Or maybe even get checked in for the cruise, but then exit and go check this out instead of sitting in the terminal waiting to board.

This look great! And looking at the satellite maps it does look really close to the terminal. Is there a walkway or something that makes it easy to walk over there from the terminal? We'll be getting dropped off at the terminal by a car service, and we'll have our carry-on luggage and a stroller. But I was thinking we could try to get there early and check it out. Or maybe even get checked in for the cruise, but then exit and go check this out instead of sitting in the terminal waiting to board.

Visit before or after the cruise. Once you do security it would be a pain to leave.

See that brand new elevated gangway, half that distance is the Tear Drop Memorial to my left and slightly behind.

The Memorial has a ramp walkway accessible to all. It is across a newly paved parkling lot, very easy to get to.

17292922311_aa8bd86a2a_c.jpg

CaptDave