Back from Breakaway today

Ninenout2002

Am going to post a short review after I get caught up with work this week but some initial comments:

This was our second ever cruise, our first having been on the Breakaway in December 2013. That first trip was on a very full ship but just magical all the way around. We weren't expecting to have the exact same experience but believed it would be close. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case...not to say we didn't have a good time but if this had been our first experience then I don't think we would have gone again on NCL.

Overall, the staffing seemed short and uninformed. They seemed to make things up as they went along. One example is that We signed up for the slot tournament after asking the rules and we were told it's $20 per person, qualifying held on Monday, three minutes per round and the top points person in each round moved on to the finals on Saturday. Turns out it was two minutes per round, additional qualifying was held Friday AND Saturday, and worst of all only the top six scores would play in the finals. So after Monday I was the highest point person in my round but lowest of the day. By Friday I was eliminated. Wouldn't have been an issue if I had been told this from the beginning - I would have waited to play until later in the week but no one cared that we had been given a false set of information. I was told that I could play again if I wanted to spend another $20. It just left me annoyed and definitely not in the mood to play more.

I resent being charged an 18% gratuity for my husband's cigar purchase. Literally the guy opened the case - he didn't select the cigar, he didn't cut the cigar, he didn't light the cigar, etc. What service was performed that was deserving of a gratuity? I purchased a single cupcake - 18% gratuity added. For putting it in a bag? They may as well start charging an 18% gratuity for clothing and gift purchases as well! It's not the money - it's the point. I tip well, I tip very well for excellent service. I don't think that opening a case or putting a pastry into a bag is any more deserving of a tip than a cashier at the local grocery store is. Unless said cashier is ringing me up, packing my bags and loading them into my car they're not getting a tip for ringing up my items!

Lots of Smoking on the balconies and I'm guessing in the rooms around us to the point that our room and the hallway reeked, children/ teens literally running up and down the hallway, about 20 teens congregating outside the buffet pushing each other and shouting at the tops of their lungs - just a lot of rude and disrespectful behavior...staff said nothing.

Didn't order room service due to the "convenience fee" which was something we had enjoyed on our first cruise - a lot of people we encountered weren't happy about the fee. Going by guest services there seemed to be quite a few people complaining about the convenience charge and the mandatory 18% charges.

We didn't want our first cruise to end and this one, our honeymoon cruise, we were quite ready to be done after our day in Nassau.

Welcome home & thank you for sharing your thoughts. Still wanted to believe that your honeymooning was great, remember the positive and that you made the best of the vacation.

You point about 18% gratuity being added for a cupcake purchase is well taken - I can't think of any other local upscale bakery doing that - and they get away with that because it's on the Breakaway. The stubborn ones here on CC just will not want to hear it, yada yada.

It's home sweet home, relax and look ahead. Look forward to reading more & take your time in doing the review. When I came back last month, I was ready to ditch our review halfway thru ...

Just off breakaway and can confirm the prevalence of smoking on balconies, and also all along waterfront establishments. As someone who is an occasional smoker I can manage but it was certainly noticeable and I can see how it can be offensive to non-smokers. Getting through doors by the bar outside maltings was particularly bad as that seemed to be the place for smokers to hang out at night.

I did see lots of teens hanging out but generally not too much drama just the occasional elevator with all the buttons pressed. I did hang out late several nights and did notice that the security staff did not seem to be enforcing the curfews.

I had a good time but did notice some short comings in staffing/service in speciality restaurants and alternate dining Rooms (savor and taste).

Best service we noticed was the staff in the buffet. Very friendly and accommodating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as I said, it's not that we didn't have a good time - we enjoyed our ports, had great food, met some very nice people. This was "our" experience and certainly others will have different views. We are by no means experienced cruisers but it just seems that NCL is lacking informed staff members, staff in general and creating revenue by whatever means they can think of regardless of merit.

Smoking on the balconies!!!!

I hope you marched right down to guest services!!!

On my January ba cruise there was a typo in the dailies about smoking allowed on balconies and immediately brought it to guest services attention

They were very upset and corrected the daily by the next day

Sent me a fruit basket as a thank you

I can't honestly believe there was smoking on the balcony!!!

Who was running this ship anyway?

You needed to bring this up the line until it was stopped as fire on a ship is the big concern... Not the air you breath

Is it possible that your balcony was over the outdoor cigar bar/smoking area and you just thought it was balcony smoking?

I am upset though that you didn't complain until it was stopped if the smell was not due to the cigar bar

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Smoking on the balconies!!!!

I hope you marched right down to guest services!!!

On my January ba cruise there was a typo in the dailies about smoking allowed on balconies and immediately brought it to guest services attention

They were very upset and corrected the daily by the next day

Sent me a fruit basket as a thank you

I can't honestly believe there was smoking on the balcony!!!

Who was running this ship anyway?

You needed to bring this up the line until it was stopped as fire on a ship is the big concern... Not the air you breath

Is it possible that your balcony was over the outdoor cigar bar/smoking area and you just thought it was balcony smoking?

I am upset though that you didn't complain until it was stopped if the smell was not due to the cigar bar

I believe the smoking 100%. On our last cruise on the Sun we were in a mini suite so I had a real good view of the cabins below and toward the back of us. At any given moment while at sea or in port I could count 6-8 people smoking. In Cozumel we were next to the Epic. I had set up my camera on the balcony to get video of us pulling out of port. I counted 23 balconies on the Epic where people were smoking as we pulled away from the dock

There is a possibility that some of the smoke was coming from waterfront on deck 8, as we were on starboard deck 13 mid. Not sure of OP's location. But also would smell smoke other non-peak bar times, and very strongly,

which would suggest a more local source. Agree that primary concern is with fire.

Just off breakaway and can confirm the prevalence of smoking on balconies, and also all along waterfront establishments. As someone who is an occasional smoker I can manage but it was certainly noticeable and I can see how it can be offensive to non-smokers. Getting through doors by the bar outside maltings was particularly bad as that seemed to be the place for smokers to hang out at night.

I did see lots of teens hanging out but generally not too much drama just the occasional elevator with all the buttons pressed. I did hang out late several nights and did notice that the security staff did not seem to be enforcing the curfews.

I had a good time but did notice some short comings in staffing/service in speciality restaurants and alternate dining Rooms (savor and taste).

Best service we noticed was the staff in the buffet. Very friendly and accommodating.

Maltings on the waterfront and fat cats are PERMITTED smoking areas. NCL has forced the "congregation" by disallowing smoking on balconies. I do not smoke on my balcony so therefore I chose a cabin on deck 8 near the waterfront for easy access to smoke my morning cigarette and coffee. Where would you like the smokers to go? Overboard? Don't bother answering.

Geri

Edited by FootballParent

I believe the smoking 100%. On our last cruise on the Sun we were in a mini suite so I had a real good view of the cabins below and toward the back of us. At any given moment while at sea or in port I could count 6-8 people smoking. In Cozumel we were next to the Epic. I had set up my camera on the balcony to get video of us pulling out of port. I counted 23 balconies on the Epic where people were smoking as we pulled away from the dock

I believe the op and you when you say there was smoking

However on my January ba cruise they were mortified at the smoking typo I pointed out

IMHO if there is smoking on the balcony it must be reported as it us a fire hazard and any guest services/hotel manager/security/captain on a ship that does nothing about it should be removed

Anyone that sees balcony smoking must take dated and timed pix of the incident

Btw....just wondering if they allow balcony smoking on Oceania?

This will make a big difference as to how this is handled is my guess. Lol

Edited by luvtheships

As previous poster pointed out, the Waterfront area by Maltings is one of the like three or four places that people can smoke freely on the entire ship. Unless they ban smoking completly on the ship, no one should be complaining on the amount of smoke from that area.

The balconies smoking is another issue. It wasn't banned my last few cruises, but it is now. I will be meeting up with the regulars by Maltings on my next cruise.

Fair point on the gratuity for cupcakes and cigars, but do you typically tip for a bartender to hand you a beer? Same amount of work.

The bartender pours the beer into a glass, and hands it to me. Maybe a tad more work to get the head just right.

When we go to a bakery on land, is there a tip jar on the counter? If so, the tip is optional.

No, NCL should not add a tip for handing you a cigar or bagging a cupcake if you're standing at the counter. If being delivered to your table by a server, then yes.

Just my thought.

As for the tipping at the cake shop/coffee shop, I usually give a little tip there when I buy my pastries and latte because they have to make my coffee. I guess there is no way to remove the charge if you don't get a specialty coffee?

As for the Cigar Bar, well, I think there is no excuse for that. I get the guy is there to assist and provide a specialty service, but I agree that is a stretch in my opinion.

Our BA balcony last month was deck 10 FWD (all the way front) starboard & smoke wasn't an issue for us when we're out there (docked) and no problem while cruising at sea - our neighbors weren't doing it, that was good & we are directly over some of the extended balconies & mini's below us, deck 9 and 8.

Waterfront, deck 8 is possibly one source but there is an area on deck 7, FWD - outside via the doors beyond the Box Office/Main Theater, where some of the smokers hangout & puff their lungs - the odor/smoke just seemed to linger (as I was out there taking snapshots while we're at Port Canaveral - it might be the source of smoke for the OP if they're above that area.

Here's that spot - IMG20150324_194544%20%28768x1024%29.jpg

Edited by mking8288

On our cruise this month, you could smell the smoke in the hallways. I think people were smoking other stuff too.

It makes me shake my head when I read about short staffing, espercially in the specialty restaurants.

There should be no reason for this especially since they just added an 18% gratuity, and also raised the daily DSC.

Sounds like a money grab to me.

Bill

Fair point on the gratuity for cupcakes and cigars, but do you typically tip for a bartender to hand you a beer? Same amount of work.

I would think a little more work for the bartender - cleaning the bar, washing the glasses, disposing of the bottles, cutting up limes (Corona :)) and other related tasks to serving the beer. Maybe not a lot more, but certainly more than putting a cigar in a bag.

I believe the op and you when you say there was smoking

However on my January ba cruise they were mortified at the smoking typo I pointed out

IMHO if there is smoking on the balcony it must be reported as it us a fire hazard and any guest services/hotel manager/security/captain on a ship that does nothing about it should be removed

Anyone that sees balcony smoking must take dated and timed pix of the incident

Btw....just wondering if they allow balcony smoking on Oceania?

This will make a big difference as to how this is handled is my guess. Lol

Absolutely NO SMOKING on the balconies on Oceania..

Jancruz1

Absolutely NO SMOKING on the balconies on Oceania..

Jancruz1

Jancruz..... Do you have any opinion as to why Ncl may or may not be enforcing the balcony smoking rules as the op suggested?

Personally I think it's sloppy management and the crew just doesn't care anymore

could it be possible that stewards/security/maintenance workers have been cut or are so unhappy with the changes that they are looking the other way?

I truly hope not

Edited by luvtheships

Jancruz..... Do you have any opinion as to why Ncl may or may not be enforcing the balcony smoking rules as the op suggested?

Personally I think it's sloppy management and the crew just doesn't care anymore

could it be possible that stewards/security/maintenance workers have been cut or are so unhappy with the changes that they are looking the other way?

I truly hope not

I can only say fom past experience this is NOT how FDR runs a ship..there should be NO smoking on balconies and IMHO when someone from NCL picks up this thread, something on NCL will change..Smoking on balconies is a fire hazard..if you dont believe that ask Princess..

Why this is happening I honestly dont know but knowing the people at NCL shortly you should see a difference..

Jancruz1

PS..This is only my informed opinion..

I truly hope not

I do think ncl does enforce it. At least my room steward did. Not that we were smoking on it but he might have seen the carton I bought and mentioned to my husband smoking wasn't allowed on the balcony. Which we already knew courtesy of cc not NCL.

I can only say fom past experience this is NOT how FDR runs a ship..there should be NO smoking on balconies and IMHO when someone from NCL picks up this thread, something on NCL will change..Smoking on balconies is a fire hazard..if you dont believe that ask Princess..

Why this is happening I honestly dont know but knowing the people at NCL shortly you should see a difference..

Jancruz1

PS..This is only my informed opinion..

Well we certainly agree on this point

I was told a few posts back to calm down about the fire issue...um ok.... but in reality I wanted my point read and listened to and sometimes that means stressing things....which undoubtedly gets misconstrued as overreaction by some. Lol

I too believe that as soon as Ncl reads this thread..and they do read them...it is doubtful we will hear if many more balcony smoking issues

It looks like we be smokin more than just cigarettes by the sound of the last few posts

Oh and smokers do not have any rights to smoke other their homes ...cars ...while walking on a sidewalk ....and maybe a few other places....

Where I live you have zero rights to smoke in or around buildings... Public or private....stores...malls...public parks and beaches....and most private parks and beaches as well

And numerous other places

Bottom line "smokers rights" are non existent however smokers are allowed to smoke in certain places and designated areas

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6