Port Everglades to FLL for 10:30 am flight, possible?

misskittykat

Hi Our ship is docking at Port Everglades at 7:00 am. Is it doable to be able to make a 10:30 am flight at FLL? We would self disembark and probably a taxi to FLL. Don't really want to hang out at FLL for hours till the next mid afternoon flight. Thanks!

Hi Our ship is docking at Port Everglades at 7:00 am. Is it doable to be able to make a 10:30 am flight at FLL? We would self disembark and probably a taxi to FLL. Don't really want to hang out at FLL for hours till the next mid afternoon flight. Thanks!

Possibly, assuming you have no problems disembarking and FLL security lines are not out the door and down the sidewalk (which I have seen). The real question is what will be your back up plan if you miss the flight?

On the other hand, what about extending your vacation a few hours by taking a cruise line excursion (Everglades, Flamingo Gardens, etc.) that will drop you off at the airport in the early afternoon? That is a lot less stressful compared to worrying throughout your cruise whether you'll make an early flight.

Possibly, assuming you have no problems disembarking and FLL security lines are not out the door and down the sidewalk (which I have seen). The real question is what will be your back up plan if you miss the flight?

On the other hand, what about extending your vacation a few hours by taking a cruise line excursion (Everglades, Flamingo Gardens, etc.) that will drop you off at the airport in the early afternoon? That is a lot less stressful compared to worrying throughout your cruise whether you'll make an early flight.

I agree with the comment. I've seen the line to clear customs and immigration at FLL take 2 to 3 hours . Why not relax and enjoy a few hours on an excursion and take a later flight . If possible stay overnight and take that flight the next day.

An 8AM arrival doesn't mean you can leave at 8AM. If you are coming from a Trans Atlantic cruise , the crew gets cleared first before the ship is allowed to disembark passengers .

We have done this and been at the gate as early as 8:30 AM, however things can go wrong, so you do need to have a backup plan. Know what options you have with your airline (and what their policies are).

What would we do with our luggage if we took an excursion though?

Your luggage is put the cargo bay of the bus your on for the whole excursion. Then they will drop you and your luggage at the correct terminal for the airline. These excursions are usually bought on board. They will tell you what the earliest your flight can be for certain excursions. Time is usually 1PM for domestic and 3pm for international. These times can vary by cruise line.

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks for the suggestions. I never thought of a shore excursion after I get off the ship. My flying experiences are very limited usually from Bwi to Mco for Disney trips.

We've had 11:30 flights and made it to the airport in plenty of time. However, I do remember a long disembarkation (& we're Platinum) due to a delay at Customs. The computers broke down. I did start to worry. For that reason, I'd be very leary about a 10:30 flight.

We enjoyed the Everglades tour a few years ago. At that time, it was available for flights from FLL after 3:00.

We were in the walk off group (carry own luggage) at 7:40 last Saturday on Caribbean Princess. At least 5 ships in port, Oasis, Liberty, Indy, Royal Princess and a Carnival. Spent about 10 minutes at customs. Line for cab was about 15 minutes but grew considerably longer after we got there. Some traffic on way to FLL was about 10 minutes.

Was sitting at FLL at 8:30am for 11:20 flight. Still glad that I didn't book earlier though.

We have done this but we do self walk off. We do not check any luggage with airline, traveling only with carry-on, we print boarding pass at last port or on ship depending on the day. We usually get TSA pre-approved so shorter lines. Taxi to the airport.

We have traveled a lot so we don't stress.

I would not recommend this for people traveling with kids, older folks, or those that worry a lot. As long as we catch the flight I don't care if I'm the first to board or the last. Some would have a hard time with this.

I hate when people who book early flights get all antsy in line as if they are the only ones who need to rush.:rolleyes:

Edited by monicajay

What would we do with our luggage if we took an excursion though?

There may also be an option to check your luggage home direct from the ship. I know I read something about that with our upcoming RCI cruise, gives you your boarding passes as well.