Summit's return to New Jersey, a nice surprise.

captdave

I think if I lived near port I would spend $19 per day for the week, instead of paying $100 each way for a car service.

Not all car service is that expensive. I use a company that provides excellent service and costs less. It will only be $25 more for me to use the car service. Factor in gas and tolls, it may actually break even. Plus I do not have to deal with any potential construction, traffic or anything else. For me, it is a small price to pay for a stress free end to my vacation. :D

I always enjoyed taking the bus shuttle. It is the only time that I can ride a bus to go across a street. :rolleyes:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

When you are disembarking the ship and after going through customs- is there any place past customs where there is a bathroom you can use without going back through security? I will be boarding a shuttle bus and might have to wait quite a while for it to leave.

Laura

When you are disembarking the ship and after going through customs- is there any place past customs where there is a bathroom you can use without going back through security? I will be boarding a shuttle bus and might have to wait quite a while for it to leave.

Laura

There use to be, but I have not seen the new terminal that opened last November. Not sure when you are cruising. I will be there in 3 weeks and can let you know then.

And one more - poor quality picture, but shows where she's docked in Bayonne.

[ATTACH]348156[/ATTACH]

I looked for a Port Liberty webcam today and they don't have one. I did watch the NY Harbor webcam and saw her sail out....7 more weeks and we'll be on the Summit.

Now that they have a new port, maybe they'll install a webcam.

There are definitely bathrooms accessible from the outside. We were standing in front of zone 12 with out luggage waiting to be picked up and there was an entrance to men's and women's rooms right there.

As for those who are celebrating the end of the shuttle bus era in Bayonne.......don't get too excited.

I left Summit yesterday after doing my 5th Repo. this was by far the worst disembarkation process I have ever seen on ony cruiseline.

We stood in a windowless metal hallway for at least half an hour. the line for customs was probably 500 people long. Thankfully we got a porter and wizzed by the huge huge line.

and for those that think they are going to make 9:00 am flights out of Newark or 10:30.....trust me you don't want to risk it at this port.......

Self assist early walk off did not start until sometime between 8:30 and 9:00. I had luggage tag 18 and was called about 9:30. If I had waited without a porter I am sure it would have been another 30 to 45 minutes. I was in the car at 10:30.

Edited by cherylroslyn

There are definitely bathrooms accessible from the outside. We were standing in front of zone 12 with out luggage waiting to be picked up and there was an entrance to men's and women's rooms right there.

As for those who are celebrating the end of the shuttle bus era in Bayonne.......don't get too excited.

I left Summit yesterday after doing my 5th Repo. this was by far the worst disembarkation process I have ever seen on ony cruiseline.

We stood in a windowless metal hallway for at least half an hour. the line for customs was probably 500 people long. Thankfully we got a porter and wizzed by the huge huge line.

and for those that think they are going to make 9:00 am flights out of Newark or 10:30.....trust me you don't want to risk it at this port.......

Self assist early walk off did not start until sometime between 8:30 and 9:00. I had luggage tag 18 and was called about 9:30. If I had waited without a porter I am sure it would have been another 30 to 45 minutes. I was in the car at 10:30.

Wow, I wonder if it was because it was the repo cruise? that is late for self assist to leave. Usually they are all off the ship by 8:00 AM.

Our last few disembarkations from Summit in New Jersey we have been off the ship at 8:30 and in the car driving home by 9:00 AM. We usually have green 3 or 5 tags

Cheryl I hope you had a great cruise other than disembark! I thought about you all day friday I saw that it was raining in Bermuda and had hoped the day previous you had some warmer sunshine weather xoxox

Wow, I wonder if it was because it was the repo cruise? that is late for self assist to leave. Usually they are all off the ship by 8:00 AM.

When we did self assist out of Bayonne it was the same thing they did not start until 8:30/9:00 it seemed to take forever.

Our last few disembarkations from Summit in New Jersey we have been off the ship at 8:30 and in the car driving home by 9:00 AM. We usually have green 3 or 5 tags

Just read another report about Summit disembarkation being horrible yesterday. I wonder why?

It's likely because the cruise started off in Puerto Rico - I understand repositioning cruises may not represent what normal disembarkation may look like.

Just read another report about Summit disembarkation being horrible yesterday. I wonder why?

We were very late getting to the port because of traffic in the Hudson. We linked up to the dock at approximately 7:40. In my opinion the should have kept us on the ship longer rather than have us stand in the huge line inside the cavernous windowless hallway. If it had been summer I think people would have been passing out.

DinaS I am not sure it has anything to do with the fact that this is a repo incidentally. As I said in my post this was my fifth northbound repo on Summit from Puerto Rico, but my first in this brand new port. None of the other repo cruises were delayed like this and I'm not even talking about the traffic in the Hudson....that can happen at any time and in fact we had traffic in the Hudson in 2012. The rest of it was a complete cluster ****.

Edited by cherylroslyn

Cheryl I hope you had a great cruise other than disembark! I thought about you all day friday I saw that it was raining in Bermuda and had hoped the day previous you had some warmer sunshine weather xoxox

Sarah I was in Bermuda on Thursday and Friday and I did not see one rain drop. In fact I have sum poisoning on my nose from not wearing sunblock on my face on Friday. Temps were cool and it didn't seem too bad.......

I had spent the week in the Caribbean without a single burn and then I end up getting a severe burn in 72 degrees in Bermuda during the "off season".

We were very late getting to the port because of traffic in the Hudson. We linked up to the dock at approximately 7:40. In my opinion the should have kept us on the ship longer rather than have us stand in the huge line inside the cavernous windowless hallway. If it had been summer I think people would have been passing out.

I am not sure it has anything to do with the fact that this is a repo incidentally. As I said in my post this was my fifth northbound repo on Summit from Puerto Rico, but my first in this brand new port. None of the other repo cruises were delayed like this and I'm not even talking about the traffic in the Hudson....that can happen at any time and in fact we had traffic in the Hudson in 2012. The rest of it was a complete cluster ****.

We have sailed out of Cape Liberty 11 times. The only time we had problems disembarking was our Silhouette cruise and that was round trip from Bayonne (no repo). The Quantum has been sailing out of that terminal for 6 months and I have not read any horror stories about disembarkation. This leads me to believe it's Celebrity's fault and not the terminal.

Celebrity obviously wanted you off the ship and since you docked late, I bet they were still off loading luggage, etc.

You are right they should have kept you on the ship in your designated waiting area until the terminal was ready to receive passengers.

Sarah I was in Bermuda on Thursday and Friday and I did not see one rain drop. In fact I have sum poisoning on my nose from not wearing sunblock on my face on Friday. Temps were cool and it didn't seem too bad.......

I had spent the week in the Caribbean without a single burn and then I end up getting a severe burn in 72 degrees in Bermuda during the "off season".

Good lord!!! :eek:Thanks for the heads up though I'll be sure to bring tons of sun block!

When I looked at the live Bermuda cam Friday afternoon it was cloudy and gloomy looking like it had been raining.

We were on the Quantum last month and both embarkation & disembarkation were very quick and smooth. We arrived in Cape Liberty at about 5:45-6:00AM and were off the ship by 8:00AM. And that was after the self assist and suites guests.

No problems with luggage retrieval or immigration. Any problems experienced last week with the Summit were probably Celebrity's fault, not the port's.

Yes, the dreaded shuttle is definitely gone. There are gangways leading from the terminal directly to the ship.

Indoor parking garage is still under construction and will be opening later this year. This was from the porter who assisted us with our bags.

Both drop-off and pick-up areas are greatly improved and are not as chaotic as they were at the old terminal.

Why would that make a difference?

It didn't make any difference. I have taken this exact cruise 5 time from Puerto Rico repositioning to NJ......this was a total mess. We were late one other time due to traffic in the Hudson River, but this debarkation process took way too long and was a complete joke.

This terminal is new-- yes- but it's still in the middle of no where land. Its a container facility, that since WW2, is finally starting to see renewal.

We also got off the Summit last week-- the ship was late getting in but once the tug got us free from the mud we docked with no further incident.

The transportation - leaving the ship- is horrendous. We were self assist off the ship and had a line of 20 or 25 couples waiting in front of us for cabs. There were 6 cabs. Not sure what the other 1800 people did who check there bags did but we opted for a gypsie cab. $85.00 bucks for 4 to EWR. Worth every penny. We can only guess how long the line "got" for transportation.

Why is Cele and RCI opting for these out of the way places-- we left SJU from a terminal located in LALA land. There's several piers at OL San Juan but no they cheap out by parking (docking) across the bay. Samo for when they go to Freeport BAH. another hell hole. Cele out of SEA same stuff, 5 miles out of town. Not the best spots but I'm sure some bean counter made the numbers work.