Any changes in the past six years?

lumofny

We're booked on the Dawn in August 2016 and It'll have been six years since we last took a cruise (which was also on the Dawn). Have there been any changes onboard we should know about? Some of the pictures look like the interior has been renovated and I don't remember Blue Lagoon in the location it presently is - did it move? I thought it used to be a 'walk through' arrangement, or am I thinking the Spirit?

The last time we sailed I believe prepaid tips were $10pppd. Now it looks like they are $12.95. Last time we sailed they said they didn't do ship pins any more but it looks like those have been brought back also.

Any other changes anyone can think of the Dawn has undergone?

We're booked on the Dawn in August 2016 and It'll have been six years since we last took a cruise (which was also on the Dawn). Have there been any changes onboard we should know about? Some of the pictures look like the interior has been renovated and I don't remember Blue Lagoon in the location it presently is - did it move? I thought it used to be a 'walk through' arrangement, or am I thinking the Spirit?

The last time we sailed I believe prepaid tips were $10pppd. Now it looks like they are $12.95. Last time we sailed they said they didn't do ship pins any more but it looks like those have been brought back also.

Lots of changes on Dawn in past six years ..... for starters see this Press Release from May 23, 2011

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_052311

Judging by the changes over the last few weeks, I guess there could be 2000 changes by the time you travel.

To put some humor into this, I would say to OP - 1,800 of the changes of which remained disputed and neither confirmed nor officially denied since many unpublished rules remained contradictory due to silence. :D

Okay, let me see:

No more chocoholic buffet (midnight buffet are long gone)

No more "White Hot" party

No more bubble wine or juice at the gangway for embarkaton

Possibly no more nighly chocolae mints, I say possibly ... ;)

Ship pins are back & different (we had to go down to see the CC for ours ... they figured that it was our 2nd. sailing on the same ship, BA, and assumed we don't need them again)

Look for seafood night instead ... New England lobsters are better, we are going to be in Plymouth, MA this weekend for a waterfront "bake" feast on land, fresh & tasty, in season now and a bit pricey. Excuse the cruiseline for not serving even small chunks of lobster in the buffet (that's where they're served in some sort of pasta ...) OP might find some lobster bisque - and, of course, the specialty restaurant will gladly serve lobster with an additional upcharge on top of the cover, and, 18% autogratuity.

The Asian fusion restaurant is now free with a new/different & shortened menu, and, long lines but by most accounts reporting, not worth the wait - being from New England, I recommend stopping at Kneeland Street, Boston area instead for superior dining, either pre- or post- cruise.

Room Service is no longer free except for cont'l breakfast items from 6 AM to 10 AM and ... takeout orders at O'Sheehans (the renamed Blue Lagoon, now relocated to Deck 8 AFT above the "lobby") will possibly be prohibited or banned, by orders of NCL (this is unconfirmed & non-verified, of course :rolleyes: - so, please note it with pinches or grain of salt)

Satellite internet on the ship is possibly faster, still expensive but coverage is said to be improved.

It's all Pepsi products now and flavored water added as free choices in the buffet.

Lastly, disclamer: information are offered as a general guide, subject to change with and without written or verbal notices, at any given time - informed consent not required nor expected.

O'Sheehans (the renamed Blue Lagoon, now relocated to Deck 8 AFT above the "lobby")

AFAIK, the Dawn does not yet have O'Sheehans. Deck 8 above the lobby is still Blue Lagoon and Moderno.

That change may be part of the next scheduled drydock.

Edited by Pikaia

No more "White Hot" party

This seems nitpicky, but might be helpful for someone trying to pack. :)

Some ships have switched over to a "glow" party instead of a White Hot Party, but Dawn is not (yet?) one of them. There are current (April) cruise reviews from Dawn passengers that include mentions of the White Hot Party.

Edited by Pikaia

• 3 months later...

The Dawn no longer has the Spinnaker lounge at the top of the ship in the bow.

That area was made into cabins during one of Dawn's drydocks.

Room service on all NCL ships is now $7.95 except for a limited continental breakfast: juice, pastry/muffin, coffee/tea.

The sailing have longer sea days and shorter time ashore for port calls, some pax are happy & just see it as extended CTN.

Ship will be cruising at a slower speed, which can translate to a smoother ride at sea - some pax will call it enhancement.

Ship pins are available, but they might not be placed automatically in the stateroom for you - go to GS or Latitude/ShoreEx desk and ask, they should have them.

All a matter of points of reference & state of mind, YMMV.

(For real, real old-timers, bring your own disposable shower caps & of course those NCL-logo'd shoe polish cloth, used to be provided at no charge in every stateroom ...)

Edited by mking8288

The Spinnaker lounge on Deck 12 forward has been replaced by suites and inside staterooms. The Spinnaker lounge is now on Deck 7 aft, where the gift shops used to be. The Gift Shops are forward on Deck 7 where Dazzles used to be.

The Blue lagoon which used to be a walk through quick service on the starboard side of deck 7 aft has been moved to port side deck 8 mid ship across from where the Salsa Tex-Mex restaurant used to be. The Salsa restaurant has been replaced by Moderno's. The Photo Gallery is where the Blue Lagoon used to be.