Embarkation Question - Re: Time

ExpatBride

I've contacted NCL via email and so far haven't received a reply. I'd call, but I really want a reply to this one in writing.

While I'm waiting, I hope someone here has some insight. Here's the story...

I've booked a train ticket that would have me arrive at the port 3 hours before we sail. I've now been notified by the train operator that there will be track work on that day. With the anticipated delay, I still expect to make it to the dock at least 2 hours ahead of sail away, however the track work is a variable I hadn't considered when making my reservation. If I'd known this, I would've given myself a bigger buffer.

I've contacted the rail company and they are not allowing ticket changes at this time and I'm concerned that if there are additional delays that we might not be onboard within 2 hours before we sail.

What happens if we arrive prior to sailing, but less than 2 hours before?

Whereas it's technically possible to be denied boarding, unlikely. I've seen persons boarding 30 minutes before departure. I would email NCL (not sure who) and explain the possibility of your being inside the two hour window. At least they would be aware of the possibility of late guest arrival.

Phew! I'm feeling much better, thanks. I don't even sail until June, but I'm already checked in! I can't imagine that I won't make it there within an hour... or even an hour and a half of sailing time.

Hopefully NCL will get back to me with an "official" answer because I've read different rules in different places.

Edited by ExpatBride

Phew! I'm feeling much better, thanks. I don't even sail until June, but I'm already checked in! I can't imagine that I won't make it there within an hour... or even an hour and a half of sailing time.

Hopefully NCL will get back to me with an "official" answer because I've read different rules in different places.

Just keep in mind that it says being on board the vessel no later than 1 hour prior to departure. I have heard of people who were left behind because they arrived at the check-in counter too late, the ship had not sailed yet but they were not allowed on board and had to watch the sailaway from the pier... It is almost the same as you can experience regarding flights, the gate is closed and they don't let you on board the plane, even though it is still at the gate and you can see it from the window next to the gate.

Do you really want to take the chance of missing the cruise instead of just purchasing new train tickets, for an earlier time....???? And also - I don't know which port you will be sailing from - some ports have the deadline that all embarking passengers must be on board the ship 2 hours before the scheduled sailing time, and some ports have the 1 hour deadline. What it is for your particular cruise, is printed in your e-docs.

Edited by TrumpyNor

Do you really want to take the chance of missing the cruise instead of just purchasing new train tickets, for an earlier time....????

Gathering info and weighing my options :)

Edited by ExpatBride

I see that you live in Denmark - if your cruise is departing from Copenhagen, then the deadline is only 1 hour. At least that is the case for my own cruise (on the Star) with departure/embarkation in June from Copenhagen.

If you are taking Amtrak, you can easily change your train , maybe a day earlier??? I wouldn't take the risk as east coast trains are routinely late without track issues.

I see that you live in Denmark - if your cruise is departing from Copenhagen, then the deadline is only 1 hour. At least that is the case for my own cruise (on the Star) with departure/embarkation in June from Copenhagen.

Good to know, thanks! I'm also sailing the Star in June and I'm coming from Aarhus that day. DSB just announced the track work yesterday, I'm going to keep a close watch on delays closer to the date and if worse comes to worse, I'll rebook, but I can't imagine I'd be delayed a full 2 hours.

If you are taking Amtrak, you can easily change your train , maybe a day earlier??? I wouldn't take the risk as east coast trains are routinely late without track issues.

I'm in Denmark, sailing from Copenhagen, but thanks :)

Edited by ExpatBride

Gathering info and weighing my options :)

Hmmm..

Which train and which cruise ?

edited...

Sorry, late post...

I see you will not be taking Amtrak to Copenhagen.:-)

BTW,

I once had a train from Germany to Rotterdam and was told the trains were always on time.

When our train arrived too LATE for our connection, we were told it was not late, it was rescheduled.:-)

Edited by $hip$hape