Celebrity Customer Service/Relations

Killiepie

Hi. This is no more than an observation. I have been on a good number of previous Celebrity cruises which I have enjoyed. I booked a Western Caribbean cruise on Equinox departing Fort Lauderdale on 5th April 2015 way back last year. A week prior to departure I unfortunately picked up a viral infection which after doctors advice left me no alternative but to cancel the cruise together with a weeks stay post cruise in Miami. Nothing was refundable either from Celebrity ( except pre-paid gratuities + taxes ) the airline or hotel. I have an insurance claim in course at present and should at some time see the return of the bulk of monies spent. Celebrity were informed immediately regarding the position. I thought that I would have at least received an acknowledgement from Celebrity with maybe a modest incentive to re-book a future cruise at a kean price which I probably would have taken up. As I say no more than an observation but I would have thought Celebrity Customer Relations could have been more pro-active.

Because it would be a nice thing to do...

What should they have done? If you think some sort of OBC on a future cruise..how much? if a discount on a future cruise..how much? and so on.

Their policy is very clear...and people cancel for far more heart wrenching reasons....it happens, and probably more often than any of us would want to know.

My gut tells me that whatever OBC or discount they offered would have those that said...that wasn't enough.

Sorry, but I'm sorry the OP had to miss the cruise, but I think Celebrity did what they clearly said they would do and, other than express their sympathy/compassion, I think they handled this correctly and fairly.

Edited by ghstudio

Did the airline or hotel offer any credit or incentive to rebook with them??

I am always amazed when folks expect the cruise lines to "give" some compensation when they cancel but appear to accept that the airline or their non-refundable hotel doesn't give them anything:confused:

Just an observation but, why would you have thought Celebrity Customer Relations could have been more pro-active?

Because it would be a nice thing to do...

So would my wife and I offering to pay double for our cabin, naw, don't think so.

Your hotel was not refundable? Most hotels you can cancel up to 24 hours or at least only pay for one night. Airlines usually will charge you a fee to change to a later date. Not sure what kind of ticket you purchased.

I believe the OP is from the UK. Sorry Killiepie you had to cancel. As you say you are insured as most Brits would be - why, because when we book flights overseas to have affordable travel, it is non refundable and even if you did want to go to the USA in the near future, the airlines do not offer rebooking incentives. Likewise, our hotel bookings to get a fair rate are non refundable.

I understand why you might have wanted even a one liner to say sorry to hear you could not make it, the cruiseline has potential to make even more money from you by offering you nice words and the invitation to rebook again within a timescale. I therefore can totally see where you are coming from in your post

After all, when you are well enough to travel, armed with your claim money, you can look anywhere, Celebrity could by a very small gesture have secured your business

Edited by uktog

Hi. This is no more than an observation. I have been on a good number of previous Celebrity cruises which I have enjoyed. I booked a Western Caribbean cruise on Equinox departing Fort Lauderdale on 5th April 2015 way back last year. A week prior to departure I unfortunately picked up a viral infection which after doctors advice left me no alternative but to cancel the cruise together with a weeks stay post cruise in Miami. Nothing was refundable either from Celebrity ( except pre-paid gratuities + taxes ) the airline or hotel. I have an insurance claim in course at present and should at some time see the return of the bulk of monies spent. Celebrity were informed immediately regarding the position. I thought that I would have at least received an acknowledgement from Celebrity with maybe a modest incentive to re-book a future cruise at a kean price which I probably would have taken up. As I say no more than an observation but I would have thought Celebrity Customer Relations could have been more pro-active.

We had to cancel back to back cruises in South America last Spring a few days prior to our flight to Argentina. We did not expect or receive anything from Celebrity other than the help they offered us with our refunds on gratuities and excursions and filing for our insurances. Since it was two separate cruises it was two separate filings. The people at Celebrity were most helpful on all accounts.

However this is a vacation but it is also a business transaction between two parties. They held up their end of the bargain very nicely and they were kind, patient and efficient. That is all one can expect.

Thank you.

If you have submitted an insurance claim, and IF you bought the proper amount of insurance, you should get ALL of your non-refundable money back.

Why would Celebrity offer you EXTRA money or incentive? The insurance is used to make you whole (in other words, you shouldn't benefit by getting MORE money than you paid).

Celebrity, the airline, and the hotel have all been paid - they don't need to offer you anything to rebook since they have your money.

uktog I agree with your reply. In overall terms Celebrity, in fact, may well have resold the cabin, so in that case, would have received twice (or a fair percentage) of the new passengers fare. OK, the original passenger hasn't lost out after factoring in his insurance, however Celebrity lacked foresight in offering him. say, 1/2 deposit on any future booking, in order to hopefully retain his business - after all, isn't this logic in running a successful business. I myself was in this position a few years ago & was offered a small discount if I sailed with Princess within a year. I couldn't take up their offer due to further health problems, but I was impressed with their offer-both parties satisfied!!!

We had to cancel a cruise on QE2 due to my knee surgery, which was brought forward by 5 months. Fortunately, it was 1 day before we were due to pay in full, so I only lost my deposit,, which I was able to claim a large percentage back; not all as we had an excess on our insurance.

I got no ( nor did I expect) compensation from Cunard.

When Celebrity cancelled our Century Cruise, due to the redeployment of the ship to Singapore, we only received $100 OBC each!