Alaska Cruises--How Do People Dress Onboard?

Luvsnorkeling

I understand that when we go ashore in Alaska we will need to dress warmly and in layers. However, when on the ship and it is summer time, do people wear heavy clothing or do they dress like they would in summer back home since inside the ship (I assume) it is warm?

Would like to wear short sleeved shirts and light weight clothing rather than sweaters and flannel. But will that look odd and out of place?

Also have heard that on formal nights on Alaska cruises passengers tend to dress less formally than on cruises in other parts of the world. Is that true?

Thanks for all input!

The key to Alaska is layers... Bring a windbreaker and sweater for windy or drizzly days out on deck during sea days and for the trip out to Mendenhall Glacier.

Dockers, short sleeve shirts etc are all fine- you won't be out of place. Just have a sweater or sweatshirt in case you get cool- and since the weather is unpredictable bring some shorts too.:D

Nothing basically looks out of place on a cruise ship. :D I don't own many thinks for colder weather any longer so I just layer items when touring.

People cruising Alaska are not usually as formal since their luggage space is at a premium due to all the extra clothing they bring with them but they still manage to put something together to look nice.

We are doing a northbound on the Grand and southbound on the Star with land tour inbetween in September. Doing 5 days in Seattle before and 5 days in Vancouver after. Luggage space being a premium, we are not doing formal night. Will be wearing nice jeans in the MDR with a pretty top or sweater the rest of the time, and will either eat in the buffet or specialty restaurant on formal night.

We just did a Celebrity round trip out of Buenos Aires to Antarctica this February. Went from summer temperatures down to freezing. The ship was warm inside, but it was cold on the balcony and open decks. Since we werent getting off not really a problem, but it was very cold the day we were in the Falklands and went to see the penguins.

So layers, layers, layers. I wore leggings under my jeans, and on top tshirt, denim shirt, sweater or fleece vest, down jacket (LLBean one that packs into its own pocket) and breathable rain jacket to cut the wind. Brought a wool hat and gloves.

I do love that Princess has a self service laundry. You simply can't rinse out jeans in the sink and expect them to dry by morning.

You may be pleasantly surprised at how cold it isn't in Alaska, except in Glacier Bay which is, let's face it, a huge ice box. When we went in May a few years ago, the shipboard sightseeing in Glacier Bay was really the only place we really had to bundle up on our balcony, adding layer upon layer, including blankets!

The rest...Caribbean tropical? No, not nearly, but, while it might be chilly on some excursions (whale watching springs to mind), I found that tights under my jeans and a sweater under my windbreaker, along with thin gloves and a hat (or hood) for good measure was more than sufficient.

On the ship, I wore what I would wear spring and fall indoors at home (New England).

Edited by srlafleur

I always take my Thinsulate underwear to Alaska. They don't add any bulk to clothing, but can provide that extra warmth necessary outdoors. I've always been comfortable in jeans, shirt and a sweater except by the glaciers. I pack a extra pair of casual shoes in case one pair gets wet.

You may be pleasantly surprised at how cold it isn't in Alaska, except in Glacier Bay which is, let's face it, a huge ice box. When we went in May a few years ago, the shipboard sightseeing in Glacier Bay was really the only place we really had to bundle up on our balcony, adding layer upon layer, including blankets!

The rest...Caribbean tropical? No, not nearly, but, while it might be chilly on some excursions (whale watching springs to mind), I found that tights under my jeans and a sweater under my windbreaker, along with thin gloves and a hat (or hood) for good measure was more than sufficient.

On the ship, I wore what I would wear spring and fall indoors at home (New England).

Cruising to Alaska next Saturday. Thank you for the information you've posted. I didn't even think about tights under my jeans. Also, tights would take up less space in the suitcase.

Cruising to Alaska next Saturday. Thank you for the information you've posted. I didn't even think about tights under my jeans. Also, tights would take up less space in the suitcase.

;)I wear tights under all my pants from about the beginning of November through to April! Not too hot for indoors (most of the time my office is chilly) and adds a sufficient layer of warmth for the walk to parking, even in the coldest weather, with the added advantage of not being bulky.

I would also recommend looking at the 7 -10 day weather forecasts for several ports, as close as possible to departure. That way you'll have a pretty clear idea of what to expect, just in case something out of the norm is expected.

Edited by srlafleur

The interior of the ship Caribbean or Alaska temperature wise was similar, the difference is of course planning that you could/will pop outside where temperatures can be from 40's to 80's and highly variable.

Bring hat/gloves and as others said layered for going outside, but inside the ship you might as well be in a big mall in Minnesota in the winter or summer, dress the same if you like.

That is why it is "different strokes for different folks".....I don't own

tights.......don't plan to buy any either;)

I sail to Alaska next week...well, one week from TOMORROW:D:)....been

before but not for 6 years.......I do the layering thing:)

There were lots of passengers wearing jeans, sweaters, and sweatshirts on our Alaska cruises. Alaska is very informal even in the Main Dining Rooms (except on Formal Nights).

As stated above layers works. I start with UndeArmour Basic 1.0 and with jeans as an outer layer, I stay warm. I also purchased two USB hand warmers from Amazon to keep my fingers warm while on those long whale-watching boat rides.

That is why it is "different strokes for different folks".....I don't own

tights.......don't plan to buy any either;)

I sail to Alaska next week...well, one week from TOMORROW:D:)....been

before but not for 6 years.......I do the layering thing:)

There were lots of passengers wearing jeans, sweaters, and sweatshirts on our Alaska cruises. Alaska is very informal even in the Main Dining Rooms (except on Formal Nights).

As stated above layers works. I start with UndeArmour Basic 1.0 and with jeans as an outer layer, I stay warm. I also purchased two USB hand warmers from Amazon to keep my fingers warm while on those long whale-watching boat rides.

Ah, yes. It IS a bit different for you southern-tier-warmer-states folks, isn't it? :D

So layers, layers, layers. I wore leggings under my jeans, and on top tshirt, denim shirt, sweater or fleece vest, down jacket (LLBean one that packs into its own pocket) and breathable rain jacket to cut the wind. Brought a wool hat and gloves.

I do love that Princess has a self service laundry. You simply can't rinse out jeans in the sink and expect them to dry by morning.

Unless you're hiking in muddy terrain you could wear the same pair of jeans all week on a cruise and never need to wash them. If by chance you get wet while out on an excurision hang them up when you get back and they'll be dry in the morning.

coming out of the closet here ... there are days working outside that I need that one extra layer ... Silkskins

Sierra Trading post usually has good deals.

I've read several comments about people wearing nice jeans with a blouse or sweater in the MDR on all but formal nights. I don't honestly see why I'd need to take heels and dress pants. That would certainly leave more room in the suitcase for shopping! My fear is we'd be seated with people who'd be offended...LOL.

I take a cami or two to wear under my tops. Also take up little room and provide a layer for warmth

Agree with the above. Did Alaska a bunch of years ago and the only place really cold was when cruising the glaciers.

Besides that, think about your excursions. Anything moving on the water will be cooler, like whale watching and hanging out on a platform on the train from Skagway.

I've read several comments about people wearing nice jeans with a blouse or sweater in the MDR on all but formal nights. I don't honestly see why I'd need to take heels and dress pants. That would certainly leave more room in the suitcase for shopping! My fear is we'd be seated with people who'd be offended...LOL.

People of the ship won't be offended, it's just the vocal people on this board that tend to get their feathers ruffled if they think anyone isn't going to live up to their expectations of dressing. I haven worn heel in years on any ship and certainly don't intend to start now. I've got enough problems without a sprained ankle due to a rocking ship.

I don't know how the dancers on stage do it. :)

I agree that overall the dress on Alaska cruises is significantly less formal than in other parts of the world. The climate on the ship is comfortable for the most part (I usually carry a sweater for the dining room, show room, lounges, etc--but I am from Arizona so I have thinner blood than most!!). In terms of wearing your usual summer clothes while on board you would not look out of place in short sleeves or shorts. I might feel a little silly in a Hawaiian print shirt or a sundress, but for the most part I would say wear what you are most comfortable in! During the day I usually wear leggings or jeans with a blouse and then I have a sweater with me if I go up on deck. I have worn black pants, a nice sweater, and flats into the dining room many times in Alaska and felt appropriately dressed. When I go into port I wear whatever I was wearing on the ship and put my jacket or windbreaker on top depending on the weather. I like to remember that on days I do not do a shore excursion (usually in ports I have already been to multiple times) I usually end up shopping and it can be quite warm in the shops so having my warm layers be easy to get off and on is important!