Children Shouldn't Travel

Lerin

If any of you are like me, then you've probably heard a bazillion times that you are crazy for traveling with a baby/toddler/young child...

Most often the reason given is, "They aren't old enough to remember..."

If I'm feeling particularly irritated I will respond, "So by that logic, then I should also beat my 6 month old with a stick, starve him and lock him in a cage...since he won't remember it." /sarcasm :rolleyes:

A friend of mine who cruises more than we do just sent me the link below. It's a blog which includes sections on travel with a baby and toddler. It's not cruise specific, but does address some of the criticism and reasons that many of us face. (At the end of the linked article are links to two other posts of interest)

Just thought CC parents would be interested. :)

http://www.rookiemoms.com/10-things-ive-learned-from-taking-a-toddler-around-the-world/

Most often the reason given is, "They aren't old enough to remember..."

I think that becomes somewhat relevant when parents plan a kid-centered vacation (like an amusement park) when a kid is truly too young to care and the parents won't enjoy it on its own merit. Or they are deciding against a trip that they both would enjoy because it doesn't have kid-oriented activities (like sightseeing or museums), but the baby doesn't need kid activities yet. That's just stupid.

My DH and I were married over 5 years before having kids. During that time we took at least one big trip with multiple smaller trips each year. We even found out we were pregnant with our first child on our 5 year anniversary trip in Las Vegas. Many, many people told us our traveling days were done. They were wrong. Both our kids flew by the time they were 6 months old. We did the 27 hour road trip to Florida with DS when he was 2 (and I was pregnant) and he was better behaved at the wedding we drove down there for than some of the adults that flew down there. My kids were great travelers. DD was a little bumpy before she could talk but after that there were no issues. My kids grew up normally taking one long vacation (7-10 days) and multiple weekend or long weekend trips through out the year. They are now 18 and 20. They may not remember all the trips we took when they were younger...but DH and I do. We cherish every moment of them and have the pictures and video to back up those memories. I loved seeing the world with them through their eyes and don't regret for a minute traveling with them when they were younger.

I thought traveling to kid places with young kids was silly before I had a kid. What I didn't realize was, that even though I didn't remember going to amusement parks at 3, it didn't mean I didn't love it at the time and having those experiences shaped me as I grew. Not to mention the joy it provides to the parents to watch your child have amazing experiences.

Families travel ALL the time! On all kinds of trips and to all kinds of places!

You don't travel for the kids...you travel for the adults...and the kids come along for the ride.

Family travel is very important to us, though I don't believe we travel for the adults with the kids tagging along. We travel for the entire family. :)

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Many, many people told us our traveling days were done. They were wrong.

Ditto here. We travel, which of course includes cruising, much more now than before the kiddos came along. We also enjoy it more. Seeing the world through a different lens (kids) is quite enlightening.

We don't travel without our granddaughter. She's nearly five and has been to Hawaii, the Caribbean, Disneyworld, as well as to numerous places/vacation within Canada.

She may not remember, but we certainly will. :)

In fact, on our last vacation without her (2012), my husband became grumpy and moody in the second week. When I asked him what was wrong, he said he missed our granddaughter. He couldn't wait to get back home. That's when I/we knew that there wouldn't be any vacations without at least one grandkid in tow.

Edited by CanadianDee

A short time after I gave birth, a good friend (who was childless) suggested exposing my daughter to experiences such as foreign languages because it increases the synapses in the brain (probably something learned while going for her M.S. in audiology).

To me, it makes sense to take your kids as many places as possible even when they are young. Take photos that you can show them when they're older. And you often will be surprised at memories they do retain (I still remember some things that happened to me some 50 to 58 years ago).

What isn't amazing to me is the number of CC members who don't want to see a kid on the same ship as them. As if that's going to ruin a trip for them. To me, some of their statements seem very immature (are they just going to ports where everyone there will be over 18?).

We get the same "they won't remember it" from friends and family too...my response is always "but I will!" We didn't travel as much when our older 2 were young, but by the time our 3rd "unexpected blessing" arrived we didn't put our lives on hold. She enjoys looking at the photos and asking about her early travels.

We've tracking with our daughter since she was 6 months old, first cruise at 7 months. She'll be two at the end of May and we'll take her on her 4th cruise in September. The "they won't remember it" particularly annoys me. Sure she won't but WE will! It's about making memories as a family not just for one member. Will my daughter remember spending all day in the water with me in Costa Maya when she was 9 months old? Absolutely not. Will I ever forget it and was it worth every penny? You're darn right. Will I ever forget that the first time she ever reached up and hugged me back was on a vacation? Absolutely not. Not to say we don't make memories at home but why not make memories together everywhere. This is also not to say we won't ever take a vacation without her...we talk about it all the time but when push comes to shove we chicken out. I travel for work and it's hard just being gone 3 or 4 days and I just can't justify leaving her for a whole week or more. (This probably will change as the terrible twos take hold!)

I have not, however, worked up the courage to take her on a plane. I have visions of toddler melt-down and disrupting 150 other people's flight. I really miss flying as it cuts down on options tremendously but I'm just not willing to chance it right now. Maybe in another year or so, since I also don't want to go too long before exposing her to it.

I think that becomes somewhat relevant when parents plan a kid-centered vacation (like an amusement park) when a kid is truly too young to care and the parents won't enjoy it on its own merit. Or they are deciding against a trip that they both would enjoy because it doesn't have kid-oriented activities (like sightseeing or museums), but the baby doesn't need kid activities yet. That's just stupid.

This has been my take on it as well. For example, we were in Anaheim for almost a week when DS was two. We didn't take him to Disneyland. DH and I aren't theme park people ourselves and we decided he just wouldn't get enough out of it to justify the cost. He did already enjoy inexpensive local amusement parks, but he wouldn't enjoy Disney any more than that. When he's five, we'll take him.

He first flew at four months old. Flights and hotels really aren't that bad.

Edit: We did leave him with grandma at age 3 and took a trip just for us. It really wouldn't have worked to bring him along -- incredibly crowded 3-day event, late night activities, catching up with childless friends (and a few who left their own home). But he'll usually come along.

Edited by cadien

This has been my take on it as well. For example, we were in Anaheim for almost a week when DS was two. We didn't take him to Disneyland. DH and I aren't theme park people ourselves and we decided he just wouldn't get enough out of it to justify the cost. He did already enjoy inexpensive local amusement parks, but he wouldn't enjoy Disney any more than that. When he's five, we'll take him.

He first flew at four months old. Flights and hotels really aren't that bad.

Edit: We did leave him with grandma at age 3 and took a trip just for us. It really wouldn't have worked to bring him along -- incredibly crowded 3-day event, late night activities, catching up with childless friends (and a few who left their own home). But he'll usually come along.

This last paragraph reminds me of another thing people often say here: leave them with grandma. Well, not all of us have this option or want to use this option.

Our son took his first flight at 3 weeks old (my brother was getting married and I wanted to be there, otherwise I might not have been so brave). He just took his first cruise in February - practically the day he was old enough at 6 months!

It's been so easy traveling with a baby! I know more challenges will come as he reaches the toddler age, but we've been very blessed so far.

I could not believe how wonderfully the RCCL staff and other guests treated us. By the end of the cruise, everyone knew my son's name and went out of their way to say hello - it was like traveling with a celebrity! It probably didn't hurt that he looked very dapper in his tuxedo onesie on formal night :)

I agree that the adults will remember, and that should be good enough - but I also will add this: my early childhood was spent traveling internationally with either or both parents. It was no big deal, and to me very normal. I also lived near a border, so crossing into another country could be achieved in less than an hour. Again, no big deal.

Fast forward to married life, and I discover I am married to a man who never traveled. Never left his home state until moving at 12 to another home state he didn't leave. Well, there's a real FEAR that developed in him toward travel. He didn't know how. Panic set in when we crossed the border into Canada (accidentally) and we changed plans and decided to take another route out of the country. After much exposure, he is now a happy cruiser and will take any trip I throw his way.

I contend that a child develops many skills, abilities, experiences, expectations and such from being exposed to travel. These are not just the immediate day to day travails. Exposure to early travel sets them up for being open to the future adventures of life.

Just wanted to chime in. My co-workers can't understand that I enjoy traveling with my kids! I'm about to take my boys on a cruise(2nd time for my oldest ones and 1st time for my youngest) and I am so excited to share the experience with them. We have fun looking back at pictures we took on previous vacations and sharing memories. I just ignore what everyone says and will continue to expose my boys to new experiences:D.

I agree that the adults will remember, and that should be good enough - but I also will add this: my early childhood was spent traveling internationally with either or both parents. It was no big deal, and to me very normal. I also lived near a border, so crossing into another country could be achieved in less than an hour. Again, no big deal.

Fast forward to married life, and I discover I am married to a man who never traveled. Never left his home state until moving at 12 to another home state he didn't leave. Well, there's a real FEAR that developed in him toward travel. He didn't know how. Panic set in when we crossed the border into Canada (accidentally) and we changed plans and decided to take another route out of the country. After much exposure, he is now a happy cruiser and will take any trip I throw his way.

I contend that a child develops many skills, abilities, experiences, expectations and such from being exposed to travel. These are not just the immediate day to day travails. Exposure to early travel sets them up for being open to the future adventures of life.

I have to say that my background is similar to your husbands. I did not travel out of Michigan until our honeymoon when I was 22 and we flew across the country to California. I fell in love with traveling and DH and I made it a priority before and after kids to travel. I wanted to give my kids the experiences I missed and we did doing at a minimum 1 7-10 day trip, usually out of state, a year with many more long weekend trips. Now my oldest will be turning 21 next week. He has been on 10 cruises and land trips around Lake Erie, New York, South Carolina, Florida, Nevada, Arizona, California, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and a lot of long weekends in and around Michigan...and he has turned into a home body. He would prefer to stay home than to travel. My point is everyone is different whether we travel as a child or didn't. Maybe he will change when he is older but my DH's parents who did do some out of state trips with their family when DH was younger absolutely hated traveling too. After taking our first trip on our honeymoon, I couldn't imagine not wanting to travel. If DS ever gets married and has kids, it may be Grandma and Grandpa showing them the world :D.

Edited by Warm Breezes

This last paragraph reminds me of another thing people often say here: leave them with grandma. Well' date=' not all of us have this option or want to use this option.[/quote']

We don't have that option, either. We did hear statements to that effect mumbled by a few grumpy FOPS on our recent RCI cruise. I can understand that not everyone wants to be around children on their vacation, and that's their opinion. However, I think that Carnival, NCL, and Royal DO want children and families on their ships. Otherwise, why would they include activities, venues, and children's programs onboard? They know very well that while the kids may not spend any money onboard themselves, their parents will. incidentally, the three cruise lines I mentioned also show photos of FAMILIES and CHILDREN in their brochures and on their websites, and also specifically list various things available for the not-yet-adult demographic. I would think that booking a vacation in a setting that markets to families, and then being upset that there are families around is beyond ignorant. For those that don't want kids onboard, don't book on a cruise line that markets to families. You are only setting yourself up for disappointment, and I won't feel sorry for those people.

I've even read reviews on here on CC where people were complaining about "all of the children" on Disney. DISNEY? WTH DID YOU EXPECT? Shady Acres Retirement Community full of mobility scooters and a barge full of prune juice? LOL Just kidding, BTW. Have met some wonderful older folks on our cruises, as well as some rude ones that I'd never want to be on a ship with ever again - same as some families, and younger people. There are great people from all walk of life, as well as some real jerk wads too.

We don't have that option, either. We did hear statements to that effect mumbled by a few grumpy FOPS on our recent RCI cruise. I can understand that not everyone wants to be around children on their vacation, and that's their opinion. However, I think that Carnival, NCL, and Royal DO want children and families on their ships. Otherwise, why would they include activities, venues, and children's programs onboard? They know very well that while the kids may not spend any money onboard themselves, their parents will. incidentally, the three cruise lines I mentioned also show photos of FAMILIES and CHILDREN in their brochures and on their websites, and also specifically list various things available for the not-yet-adult demographic. I would think that booking a vacation in a setting that markets to families, and then being upset that there are families around is beyond ignorant. For those that don't want kids onboard, don't book on a cruise line that markets to families. You are only setting

yourself up for disappointment, and I won't feel sorry for those people.

I've even read reviews on here on CC where people were complaining about "all of the children" on Disney. DISNEY? WTH DID YOU EXPECT? Shady Acres Retirement Community full of mobility scooters and a barge full of prune juice? LOL Just kidding, BTW. Have met some wonderful older folks on our cruises, as well as some rude ones that I'd never want to be on a ship with ever again - same as some families, and younger people. There are great people from all walk of life, as well as some real jerk wads too.

Very well said

I have heard that before and at first myself got caught up worrying that I am spending all this money and she wont remember it...but then I changed my view and decided, even if she doesn't remember it, my husband, in-laws and I will. Who cares if she doesn't remember? The memories are with us and the good time we had on the trip with her. She had fun and it was worth the money and I already have plans again for next year.

DH and I were on a cruise last month (his first) and our DD6 wanted to come so bad. We are planning on taking her next May on the Breeze (fingers crossed).

Will it be a completely different cruise experience than what we had? Yes. We won't be able to lay around all day tanning and drinking, but we know that going in and WANT to engage with her so she gets as much out of her cruise experience as possible.

It also gives us parents a chance to be a kid again and go on the slides, play mini golf, and visit Thrill Theatre over and over (and over!) again :)