General Opinions of Carnival

My partner and I, now in our late 40's, have only sailed one Carnival ship. This time we're trying a new ship and port yay! But while I always look at other lines when planning our cruises, I can't get past the benefits their cruises offer for the price and so always seem to always end up back at Carnival. Love the little perks like free room service and robes in the room, as well as the cheerful service, itineraries - and the variety of food. So I would say if you appreciate a value then Carnival will go over well with you.

I will echo some of the others - the only thing we find lacking is the entertainment. But then we are the sort that DOES salivate over other line's culture lectures, art collections, demonstrations and sexy libraries. However we aren't willing to pay the higher prices for that.

The one show we ever peeked in on was weird in a sort of sesame street meets stripper way...I think we would have stayed only the music sent us screaming. Now if we ever found a cruise line that played punk instead of rock and pop - well that might be a different story - slam dancing on the lido? Sign us up and we'll pack our doc martins :-) ROFLOL! That would be a sight. Nah, we know that we have eclectic tastes - so it doesn't bother us at all that the entertainment is a little lame.

Everyone on our two cruises, on one of their smallest oldest ships, was always enjoying themselves whether they were enjoying a snooze on the promenade, a drink in the cigar bar or the contests by the pool. The ship was clean, the rooms spacious and comfortable, and plenty of places to get away and plenty to be with the crowd. You can see by my signature our dates are off season. On those cruises we never experienced "hordes" of children or of drunks :-) Just one or two to make you smile and shake your head and think "bless their hearts" and then you went on your way.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

While we usually sail Carnival, we did go with NCL once for the itinerary they offered. Everything with cruises tend to be subjective. I found NCL to be very similar to Carnival. Both lines have things that they seemed to do well. I think the cabins on Carnival are nicer than what we had on NCL. NCL does entertainment better, and they do a better job at having their senior officers interact and be visible to the passengers. NCL had more variety on their buffet, but the quality wasn't as good. Carnival has more places on the ship to get food that's included than NCL did. MDR food was about the same. NCL does tend to put a lot more focus on their specialty/upcharge dining. We only went to the Asian restaurant on the Dawn, and the food there was about the same quality as what we've come to expect on Carnival as to what is included.

I can only address Carnival vs NCL. I enjoyed both. The cabins were larger on Carnival -- which was especially noticeable when we had inside cabins, less of an issue with a balcony. For me, the buffet was better on NCL but the dining room food was better on Carnival. I also found the steakhouse better on Carnival, but only ate there once on NCL so it might have just been a bad night there.

As others have said, the evening entertainment is better on NCL.

Both provide nice vacations at good prices. I haven't sailed HAL yet but I'm thinking about it for next year. RCI's biggest ships sound like a lot of fun, but the price always has made me turn in another direction. I love getting great value and saving money on my vacation.

Enjoy your first Carnival cruise!

I have been fortunate to have had the opportunity of traveling via the cruise industry on several occasions. My cruise experience has been with:Royal, Holland, and my preferred line NCL. Everything from transatlantic repositioning, Alaska, Medaterriaan, and various Caribbean Islands, and both Bahamas, and Bermuda. This will be my eleventh cruise and my first adventure with Carnival. After I confirmed my reservation, I have been warned by several friends and family that since this line is less expensive than other lines it caters to the family and 20-30 crowd. Don't misunderstand my concern. I am only in my 50's so age and families are not a concern. My concern is the quality of service, food, entertainment, and stateroom accommodations. I ask those who have utilized other lines and has been on Carnival your thoughts please. I thank you in advance.

I would bet that most, if not all, of the negative comments about Carnival are from those who have never sailed on Carnival. Probably got their opinions fro other sources. Carnival gives a great cruise for a great price. I love Carnival. For my money, I feel that I get a great cruise. I have had no complaints. But, to be honest, I go for the relaxation adventure and I am not picky about food, etc.

After trying several other lines, Royal, NCL, Hal, Carnival fits our needs the best. We don't mind paying more when you get more, but when that's not the case, why do it? Also Carnival pricing allows the rest of our family to cruise with us from time to time. The few loyal Royal friends we have always tickle us when the turn their nose up at Carnival. Once we talk them into a Carnival cruise, they admit it was not what they thought. Also as with all lines, the time of year you go determines the mix you have on the ship. Some cruises the ship is almost dead by 9:30 or 10. Others will have activity till early in the morning.

I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise.

I have been fortunate to have had the opportunity of traveling via the cruise industry on several occasions. My cruise experience has been with:Royal, Holland, and my preferred line NCL. Everything from transatlantic repositioning, Alaska, Medaterriaan, and various Caribbean Islands, and both Bahamas, and Bermuda. This will be my eleventh cruise and my first adventure with Carnival. After I confirmed my reservation, I have been warned by several friends and family that since this line is less expensive than other lines it caters to the family and 20-30 crowd. Don't misunderstand my concern. I am only in my 50's so age and families are not a concern. My concern is the quality of service, food, entertainment, and stateroom accommodations. I ask those who have utilized other lines and has been on Carnival your thoughts please. I thank you in advance.

Carnival was my introduction to the cruise vacation world. I've enjoyed all my sailings on the whale tail ships. But my cruising tastes have changed over the years, and I now prefer longer cruises (10+days). Carnival's prices shine in the 7 day or less cruise market- not so on longer sailings. For instance, I priced an 8 day sailing on the new Vista for December 2016. Basic balcony is over $1300pp with a $250 obc from the travel agent as the only perk. In contrast, I booked the Celebrity Eclipse 10 day sailing same December timeframe for $1580pp Concierge balcony, but receiving free alcoholic drink package, $300 obc from Celebrity, free gratuities from Celebrity, and $250 obc from trave agent.

It's a no brainier for me. The added value can't be ignored even by the most loyal of passengers. I'll still cruise Carnival, but not exclusively.

Tony

Carnival was my introduction to the cruise vacation world. I've enjoyed all my sailings on the whale tail ships. But my cruising tastes have changed over the years, and I now prefer longer cruises (10+days). Carnival's prices shine in the 7 day or less cruise market- not so on longer sailings. For instance, I priced an 8 day sailing on the new Vista for December 2016. Basic balcony is over $1300pp with a $250 obc from the travel agent as the only perk. In contrast, I booked the Celebrity Eclipse 10 day sailing same December timeframe for $1580pp Concierge balcony, but receiving free alcoholic drink package, $300 obc from Celebrity, free gratuities from Celebrity, and $250 obc from trave agent.

It's a no brainier for me. The added value can't be ignored even by the most loyal of passengers. I'll still cruise Carnival, but not exclusively.

Tony

More of an apples to oranges comparison here.

Vista is a brand new ship sailing itins that Carnival doesn't normally do. Brand new ships and unusual itins always command a higher price.

A better comparison would be the HI cruises out of Los Angeles. Sometimes Princess is cheaper, sometimes not.

Edited by SadieN

Sometimes Princess is cheaper, sometimes not.

Our last cruise was on Princess. Carnival was 30% more for a similar itinerary departing on the same day. And although we were first timers on Princess, we felt more pampered than as Platinums on Carnival.

I love carnival. I have had nothing but great service, food and entertainment from them with an affordable price. I have sailed a few times on RCL (friends decisions since they are diamond with them) and have been disappointed (first time was a complete let down, other times were better) I would have thought, after paying $3500 on a 7day cruise, I would have great food and entertainment and would be blown away, I wasn't impressed and we had a few problems with the service and our room. Sure royal has beautiful ships, but I cant see myself spending money like that again on a cruise. Maybe I went in with too high of expectations after hearing all the great things about rcl and was disappointed. All I can say, don't listen to others, and form your own opinion. Have a great cruise!

Our last cruise was on Princess. Carnival was 30% more for a similar itinerary departing on the same day. And although we were first timers on Princess, we felt more pampered than as Platinums on Carnival.

Exactly my point. I never bash Carnival, and like I said, I've enjoyed all of my cruises taken. But I find it humorous at times when folks say- "go ahead- pay double Carnival's price and sail on Princess, Celebrity, etc..."- when in fact there's some fantastic deals out there if you only look.

Loyalty isn't all that and a bag of chips. Having a great cruise experience/vacation is. :)

Tony

Edited by tgmtgm

Just a short note of appreciation for taking the time and effort of responding to my inquiry. I did not realize that some of you had a very strong opinions of what I was informed by friends and family. If it caused undo frustration for you I apologize. Many are correct in their response that you and you alone make the cruise an adventure. I am going with positive expectations. By the way I was asked which ship I will be patronizing. It is the Splendor. Thanks again and happy travels!

I have been on 11 cruises in the last 5 years. Five on Carnival and 6 on 4 other lines. Carnival is my favorite. Have taken cruises from 4 to 8 days. Not only are the longer journeys great but so are the shorter ones. I have never been disappointed with the service, food, cabin or ship on any of them.

Carnival overall has the best pricing, which for me is fortunate as I get a great cruise experience and have to pay less at the same time. It is a win win for me.

I have enjoyed my 3 cruises on NCL, but not as much as Carnival. Carnival always makes me feel at home, with a smile and welcoming attitude from the crew.

If you like NCL, then you will also like Carnival. The same casual vibe on both of them, but Carnival has the edge.

Which Carnival ship are you taking?

Any questions? jsamuel2@tampabay.rr.com

I love rcl. Just got off my three Carnival ship today. I think the size of the ship is very important. If you sail the big ship with your favorite cruise line and sail a smaller ship with another cruise line, most likely you will say the other cruise line suck. I really enoy my cruise on the victory. My first pick is still rcl, but I would sail carnival again. Always go on with a open mind.

I usually approach all cruise lines with an open mind and we are not loyal to any one cruise line! I like trying new things and new itineraries and ships so that kind dictates my choice. I recently went in a Carnival cruise and was shocked at the low quality of entertainment and general state of their ships! Terrible! Had plumbing problems throughout the ship the whole cruise, which was adamantly denied by the cruise line, and the entertainment was so poor I basically just read out on the super small serenity deck. I won't be cruising Carnival for a loooong time, if ever again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carnival Corp owner of many cruise lines including CCL markets their cruise lines to different markets. CCL is the lowest level and compete directly with NCL. CCL markets to the younger cruisers and families with young children and to the cost conscious. As anyone who has paid attention to the ads, it is the "fun line". Princess another Carnival Corp line competes with RCL while HAL competes with Celebrity. Carnival Corp recently announced that they were going to decrease somewhat the overlap and hence competition between their various cruise lines.

While we have come to like Princess better, we do frequent CCL and RCCL. Our first adventure on the Elation was horrible and stands today as the worst by far cruise we have ever been on. It was many years before we ventured onto another CCL ship which turned out to be a world's difference. The silly pool games are easily avoided. The many families with young children are a bit much to us empty nesters but tolerable in smaller numbers. Our last cruise with 260 or so kids aboard was tolerable. The quality of the food in the MDR which is always a personal opinion is passable but the design of the MDR leaves much to be desired. These are a few of our observations of one CCL ship.

Carnival Corp owner of many cruise lines including CCL markets their cruise lines to different markets. CCL is the lowest level and compete directly with NCL. CCL markets to the younger cruisers and families with young children and to the cost conscious. As anyone who has paid attention to the ads, it is the "fun line". Princess another Carnival Corp line competes with RCL while HAL competes with Celebrity.

I agree with most of this except how RCI isn't in competition with CCL or NCL, but instead Princess.

RCI has the flowrider, rock climbing walls, bumper cars, ice skating rinks all to attract families and kids.

I don't think Princess is out there marketing their ships to families like RCI, CCL & NCL do.

CCL does lack with stage shows, but offers more in terms of Comedy and other adult themed entertainment.

As I stated earlier people think discount cruise line mostly because of the cost Carnival charges for their cruise fares.

In reality though Carnival can offer the best prices because they flood the market in the Caribbean and ultimately compete amongst themselves with all the ship's they have going there from Florida, up the east coast and Gulf of Mexico ports.

While NCL & RCI have multiple ships to the Caribbean they can't compete on the prices because they're ship's fill up quicker because they have less supply to offer that particular market.

When it comes to Alaska or the Mediterranean though those two lines and others can compete with and even beat Carnivals price a lot of the time because of what they offer there opposed to Carnivals 1 ship.

Carnival knows what they have and are unapologetic of it. They have fun, (mostly)family oriented cruises to not that unique of destinations from a litany of ports that can reach said destinations quick and affordably.

They may not be the grandest, they may not be the biggest and they may not be for everyone, but if you enjoy having a good time, relaxing,exploring new places, and getting away from everyday life for 3-14 days you will have a great time on on Carnival.

To me it's not worth comparing every cruise line to one another because they're all similar and different in their own unique ways and its fun to try them all to see which fits our mold the best. Same goes for ships on the same line. If it were all the same it would be very boring, like going to Nassau or Cozumel for the 10th time.

OP you should have fun on Carnival If you go on knowing it's not going to be like your other cruises. It may seem the same on the surface, but the little things are what makes each cruise line their own.

Bottom line is that we aren't all made of money so I think the majority like to find a good value when they make a vacation decision.

And when the food, accommodations, amenities, entertainment, atmosphere and overall experience give you that value, you jump at it.

Is it perfect, no. But what is. Is is fun and enjoyable without breaking the bank, yes. That's what makes it worthwhile

Edited by LuckyZ

Since 1995, I have sailed 18 cruises and all with Carnival (I guess that tells you where I am headed). My next cruise has already been purchased for the Breeze in 2016. I am already planning what 2017 Carnival cruise I will buy while on the 2016 cruise (A Vista cruise).

I like Carnival and the bigger and newer the ship, all the better. As some one already mentioned, the entertainment (Theater) is certainly not what it was years ago but there have also been many new amenities added to make up the difference. You just can not experience a better and more economical vacation than a yearly 8 day cruise.

It's even better if you live in Florida and can easily drive to a port like Miami or Ft Lauderdale. That takes out much of the cost and the hassle. Just a 2 hour run and we are on the ship. Then add the Platinum perks and let the fun begin.

Edited by richfret

We have never been disappointed with Carnival, fun atmosphere, plenty going on, people tend to move, dance and participate in fun activities. My daughter sailed with us on HAL, she felt Carnival was more relaxed and fun. Only cruise I would complain about would be Princess 7 day Mexican Riveria, the demographics was very senior, the pace was geared to very senior, even the food was bland, lol. We are seniors, and we missed the funny games Carnival did on the Lido. But, the cruise and the ports were fun, so there you go, fun is where you make it.

We concur, we have always found that those who "knock" CCL have never cruised CCL! We are in our 60's, have sailed RCI, Princess, Disney, NCL and Carnival. We travel during times when school children are in school, not over break time (don't flame us, we have children and love them too...LOL) so we find the demographic on CCL to be our age group and not a lot of young families or college pariters. We find the food much better on CCL, but the entertainment can be better on RCI and some other lines. As for service and crew, it has been the same on ALL the lines....not better, not worse. Don't be afraid, just try it and you may like it too!

Carnival is awesome. Great food and service along with some of the largest cabins at sea. They always make me feel welcome and I always feel at home. It is so ironic that Carnival offers great pricing along with great service and great food. I would think Carnival would be a higher price with the incredible cruise experience they provide. Awesome cruise line. Thanks Carnival. I appreciate.

I'm another that's only cruised carnival. We are in our mid 50s. We have found no reason to look at a different cruise line. It sounds like most other cruise lines are nickel and dimeing everything. I hope carnival doesn't start doing that.

Some people who only cruise Carnival because of pricing may find out, like I did, that other lines can offer better value on occasion. One has to be a savvy shopper and willing to compare similar voyages on similar type ships.

Just as there are cruisers who knock Carnival and have never sailed on one of their ships, there are Carnival cruisers who knock other lines without ever boarding a non Carnival ship. I generally disregard any comparisions either group tries to make.