Aft Cabins on Rhapsody of the Seas

I am booked on Greek Isles Cruise in August from Rome .

Booked Suite W Class and was assigned Junior Suite Aft Cabin ( Full View ) on deck 8.

Booking agent at RC said room / balcony might be bigger .

Any downside to this location ? Does boats wake effect view ?

Any other advantages or concerns ?

The balcony on the aft stateroom is larger than the same category staterooms that are side-facing.

Downsides are personal. Some complain of vibration. It is a longer walk to the elevators/stairs.

Edited by clarea

We had an aft JS on Rhapsody last September on our way to Hawaii and we loved it. You get loungers with the larger balcony. There is less wind when out at sea. There is some water noise from the ship's wake but to me it is like white noise and very relaxing.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Booked Suite W Class and was assigned Junior Suite Aft Cabin ( Full View ) on deck 8.

We had cabin 8596 corner aft on Rhapsody in May of last year for Alaska. Greatest balcony EVER! We had a party of 10 and we could all fit on the balcony with lots of room to spare. In fact we loved it so much that we booked 8102, center aft balcony for the Greek Isles this Sep. Nothing impedes the view from these balconies and they are huge. We didn't experience any negative effects from the stacks like some have on some ships. The only drawback was the long walk to anywhere on the ship. But we absolutely loved the cabins. You will too. Also, if you are on the starboard side, part way up the hall there is a door to a set of stairs that goes up to the spa. It is a great shortcut to the Solarium, the spa, the fitness center, and the Park Cafe when it is open.

We had cabin 8596 corner aft on Rhapsody in May of last year for Alaska. Greatest balcony EVER!

I am SO glad to hear you say that! We have an AFT balcony on the Jewel this June for Alaska. I have heard that it is a great place to be and we just lucked out when we booked our cruise. I don't mind the long walk to get around . . . have to burn up those extra calories somehow! Now I am even more excited - if that is possible!:D

Awesome for you!!!!! Congrats :D

HUGE advantages vs. disadvantages imo

Advantages:

• Unbelievable views, best of anywhere on the ship for any balcony imho (what cabin# did you get?)
  • "Secret" staircase deck 8 up through the Vitality Spa in order to easily get to the Solarium and Park Cafe.
  • yes, HUGE balconies... especially if you received a corner aft you will have the experience of a life time, especially entering or leaving ports.

Disadvantages:

• Long walk to the centrum & elevators, but still shorter walk than Radiance,Voyager,and especially Freedom Class aft staterooms
  • You will feel likely feel a heavy vibration when the side thrusters are used docking and leaving. It never bothered me, I really liked it! Part of the experience of learning the mechanics of the ship and feeling how she moves

There are likely many other ads/disads others may point out to follow

Have a great cruise! :D

• 3 months later...

We're thinking of booking this room but was a little worried we'd feel a lot more movement if we a have a few rough days at sea. We're doing a Greek itinerary from Venice. Does any one think this may be a problem? The reason I ask is because we had a few rough sea days on our very first cruise which was on FOS, caribbean itinerary (February time).

We're thinking of booking this room but was a little worried we'd feel a lot more movement if we a have a few rough days at sea. We're doing a Greek itinerary from Venice. Does any one think this may be a problem? The reason I ask is because we had a few rough sea days on our very first cruise which was on FOS, caribbean itinerary (February time).

We had the aft cabin last year and booked one again for Greek Isle's next month. We had a smooth sailing so can't say about "rough seas." I am not prone to motion sickness so it probably wouldn't bother me. The balconies are huge on Vision Class. Well worth the walk. But if you are concerned about feeling too much motion you might consider moving toward the middle of the ship and a lower deck. The ship basically will "pivot" around the center of gravity when pitching. So the extreme ends will likely feel more motion. Like an airplane, if you sit in the tail the motions are more pronounced.

We've been at the aft of a Vision ship quite a few times- and in heavy weather- the whole ship moves.... Basically, we didn't notice it any more in our cabin than anywhere else on the ship.

It does vibrate more- but that helps me sleep a lot. Which is great.

Last year, we were in 8096 in Alaska- best cabin ever. So we are in 8596 next month in the Med.

We've been at the aft of a Vision ship quite a few times- and in heavy weather- the whole ship moves.... Basically, we didn't notice it any more in our cabin than anywhere else on the ship.

It does vibrate more- but that helps me sleep a lot. Which is great.

Last year, we were in 8096 in Alaska- best cabin ever. So we are in 8596 next month in the Med.

That's great info, thanks. I've gone ahead and switched our room to 8096. We had the choice of all the aft suites. Really looking forward to it. Thanks again

We were in a standard aft balcony cabin directly below the junior suites on Rhapsody in May. Perfect position with no obstruction and a lovely view of the wake. The ship isn't large, so the walk to midship isn't long. We didn't notice any vibration. The only downside, which wouldn't stop me booking the cabin again, was the lack of a breeze. It did get very hot on the large balcony with sunbeds, but I asked for, and was given a large fan by reception (you need an extension lead).

Edited by suekay

I just did Rhapsody to Greece from Rome. The seas were very calm (except on the one excursion to Delos-- but I didn't feel it on the ship). I had an inside cabin, though.

I adore aft balconies and will book them whenever possible. The extra space is well worth it - both in the JS and in the balcony cabins one deck down. I've booked them repeatedly on Vision and Radiance Class ships.

Have a great time, take your camera - the photo opportunities are amazing.

-Holly

who has been known to have the sail-away party on her aft balcony with small roll calls....

I've just done a cruise onboard the Rhapsody in the JS 8596. The balcony is really huge and the only day we had problems with the vibrations was yesterday (the last day of the cruise, sea day between Chania and Civitavecchia) because the ship's speed was of more than 22 knots (we reached 22.3 knots). On the other days, with a speed of maximum 20 knots, there wasn't any problem and we really enjoyed the size of the balcony and the stairs that go directly to the park cafè. The stateroom attendant was very good too

I'm not convinced that the interior cabins are larger than the side ones, but the balconies are enormous, as others have said. We've stayed in aft cabins several times on Rhapsody and her twin sister Vision and prefer those. I don't notice excessive vibration on the portside (8096 on Rhapsody/8088 on Vision), but I did on the starboard side (8596/8588). And the center hump balcony is about the size of the cabin, with a good overhang to protect you from inclement weather or a lot of sun.

As for the long walk, if you don't have mobility issues, it's not all that long - Voyager class and up, yes, it's a hike, but Vision class not so much. Enjoy!

We had our Alaska Cruise in June and had the AFT cabin and Balcony. NO COMPLAINTS! In fact we think we would like to have it for other future cruises. Didn't mind the long walk at all. The view made up for everything! Never bother by the vibrations and we really didn't have rough seas . . . But Having been thru a hurricane on a different cruise . . when it's rough, it rough everywhere . . . back, front or middle . . . We LOVED the AFT balcony.