Liberty of The Seas - Photos from June 2014

Hi Guys!

My next cruise, Explorer OTS in October, is still five months away - so I thought I'd feed by craving by reliving my last cruise via my photos! :cool:

I don't know if any of you are interested but you can view them here:

You can also view a mini-video I made here:

Some thoughts on Liberty of The Seas:

Definitely my favourite cruise-ship I've been on.

It was big, but not too big. You could get everywhere in fairy straight-forward ways, not having to go through other venues like other ships I've been on.

1973202_303231486507052_409796243572035286_o.jpg

The Viking Crown was our favourite venue on the ship - it gives stunning views of sunsets and is the perfect place for a pre-dinner cocktail or glass of bubbly. We were surprised how under utilised it was - I don't know if people didn't know it existed. I seem RCCL isn't including Viking Crown Lounges on its new ships? That's a real shame and would definitely be a reason for us to not sail on newer ships.

champers.jpg

We also loved 'The Catacombs' the gothic themed nightclub (also called Crypt, Chamber, Vault on other ships) it was buzzing every night and people really let go and had a dance and got chatting. I'm pretty gutted that they're removing it from most of their ships now - especially at a time that OTHER cruiselines are now ADDING nightclubs. Seems a pretty poor decision.

10329681_303234496506751_7667168961594264346_o.jpg

Food quality throughout was excellent. We ate in the MDR every night apart from the night that we went to Chops Grille - which was also superb. We breakfasted in the MDR or had room service, also spot on. There wasn't a disappointing meal or course the whole cruise.

chops.jpg

Our promenade stateroom was lovely, it was my second time in a promenade stateroom - we were just above the centrum and excursions desks etc - we didn't hear any noise at all the entire cruise. It's an excellent choice for someone who wants the (illusion of) natural light but at a lower price than oceanview rooms.

viewroom.jpg

I hope to sail on her again someday - but for now, I'll have to wait until October 2nd!

Thanks for the pictures, my husband and I will be on the liberty in 29 days now to the Bahamas and Bermuda and we can't wait.....the pictures look great and we can't wait to see the ship in person. Also what drink do you recommend trying. We have the ultimate package for each of us so we are looking to try new things.

Quick thoughts on ports of call too:

Marseilles - was beautiful, easy to walk to and around - a great mix of the new city architecture and the Old City's forts and buildings. Some lovely cafes and restaurants along the Old City harbour too.

Villefranche - also stunning, a lovely quaint port town, you could spend all day there looking in the little shops and drinking wine. But it's also lucky enough to have a train station (10 min walk from the ship) that can take you to either Nice, or Monte Carlo in 30 minutes or so. We went to Monte Carlo and enjoyed walking around the F1 Grand Prix route - stopping every now and then for a glass of wine! Some EXCELLENT shopping here if you like your luxury brands.

La Spezia - This is the port city for Florence and/or Pisa. We woke up quite late this day so we decided that we would stay in the port city. What a good choice, it's a lovely city - so lush and green with some great plazas and ice cream stores. I also found a Zara so I could buy some bigger jeans!

Civitavecchia - is the port city for Rome. The train station is about a 15/20 minute walk from the ship and gets you into Rome in about 45-60 minutes (depending on which train you get). We loved Rome, but six hours is way too little time to do it justice so we concentrated on the colosseum and having some proper Italian pizza.

Naples - Oh Naples. Naples is a hole. Every single building, even the nice old ones are covered in graffiti, the streets filled with rubbish. We even saw someone urinating against the wall in a shopping mall. We spent about 90 minutes in Naples and quickly made our way back to the ship - a quiet port day on the ship was much nicer. At dinner we spoke to lots of people who'd gone to Naples and they'd had exactly the same thoughts.

Barcelona - Barcelona was our last port of call (and also where we boarded the ship). Such a lovely friendly city, great food on every street, nice flea markets to rummage through, the 'magic fountain' is a tourist trap but definitely worth a visit at night if you like bright lights, water fountains and music!

Thanks for the pictures, my husband and I will be on the liberty in 29 days now to the Bahamas and Bermuda and we can't wait.....the pictures look great and we can't wait to see the ship in person. Also what drink do you recommend trying. We have the ultimate package for each of us so we are looking to try new things.

How to choose a favourite? It's too hard!

I liked:

• Frozen Mojito - if you like mojitos and frozen blended drinks it's a no-brainer.
  • Frozen Lemonade - I recommend asking your bartender to swap the standard vodka for Absolut Mango Vodka (it's not standard but they'll do it for free on a pacakge and it's ah-maze-ing)
  • Ulitmate Bloody Mary - This is literally the best way to start ANY day. They'll let you choose the spiciness of it too - if you don't like vodka it's also delicious made with Bombay Sapphire gin.

My partner loved:

• All the champagne cocktails - there are so many different varieties and it's a great elegant pre-dinner drink

Also worth saying if you're going for a simple drink like a Gin & Tonic be sure to specify your favourite poison. It's all included and why not have Hendricks or Grey Goose instead of Gordons or Kettle One?

Edited by TheGinBoy

Hi Guys!

My next cruise, Explorer OTS in October, is still five months away - so I thought I'd feed by craving by reliving my last cruise via my photos! :cool:

Wonderful pictures and video. I LOVE Journey.

Fabulous itinerary.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Guys!

Thanks so much for this! I'll be on Liberty in two weeks and this just pushed me over the edge of excitement! :D Congratulations to you, too; what better place for a proposal!

Is that an old-style tv on the stateroom photo?

I was surprised by that too. I thought those all got switched to flat screens during the previous dry dock.

I seem RCCL isn't including Viking Crown Lounges on its new ships? That's a real shame and would definitely be a reason for us to not sail on newer ships....

Great photo album GinBoy. Looks like you had a great time :)

Before you write off no VCL on Anthem, you should book a trip on her, and then come back and let us know how you feel about Two70 vs. VCL. Try it, maybe you will not miss the VCL. I too thought no VCL was a big mistake before actually seeing it in person, but Two70 in my humble opinion for me was so much more spectacular than any VCL on any ship.

....I'm pretty gutted that they're removing it from most of their ships now - especially at a time that OTHER cruiselines are now ADDING nightclubs. Seems a pretty poor decision.

Yeah, I really liked the nightclubs too. Looks like in your signature you haven't sailed on a Radiance Class yet, where the nightclub has been up in the VCL all along... awesome venue!!! On Navigator post-refurb the night-club is up on the VCL now, and I assume will be on EOS, and it also worked out awesome for dancing and hanging out. I think you will enjoy this just as much.

Have an awesome cruise! :D

Edited by Hoopster95

Excellent photos! Thanks for sharing. I'm intrigued by the street performers in Marseilles. What's going on there?

We were supposed to sail on Liberty (in our first corner aft balcony cabin) next month, but had to cancel. Boo! But we were able to book on Oasis instead for later in the summer. Yay! One of our favorite ships!

Do try Anthem -- Two70º will make you forget all about the VCL. It's absolutely stunning.

Thank you again for sharing your photos.

Excellent photos! Thanks for sharing. I'm intrigued by the street performers in Marseilles. What's going on there?

Basically you've got a huge weighted plate (covered by cloth and hats etc), a pole connects it to a chair which the bottom guy sits on.

Then another pole goes through his sleeve and the ball, up and forms another chair for the second performer to sit on.

Then the pole from her chair goes through her sleeve and ball and up where there are two papier-mâché dummies hanging off it.

street_performer.jpg