Cruise Insurance

amberjohn

I guess we are a bit different. It seems a lot of posters are worried about the small cost of the cruise if they have to cancel. That is a non factor for us, the only thing that we are concerned about is medical insurance and the cost of evacuation in an emergency.

Always get insurance. Last 3 cruises for my daughter, we have had a bruised tailbone, cut finger and someone stepped on her toe which she had to get the nail drained. Each time, we walked out of the infirmary with a $0 bill. Each would have been 4x the cost of the insurance we paid.

Yes, my daughter maybe a little accident prone, but you never know.

I had an allergic reaction to escargot about 8 years ago, spent the night pumped with Benadryl and other iv's and again a $0 bill, would have been over $1000.

Interesting! The occasions that we used the on-board infirmary, we were billed. We needed to pay and then chase the insurance.

If you had to cancel prior to your sail date or missed the boat, can you afford to lose up to the entire cost of your cruise?...

EVERYONE here can afford to lose up to the entire cost of the cruise. Everyone.

Of course they can. They already spent the money. What they may not be able to afford is the missed good times. Missing the cruise is less expensive than actually taking the cruise since you now do not have all those onboard expenses.

BUT - the bigger question, can you afford some serious medical expenses if injured overseas?

Bottom line, people need to evaluate what they are actually buying, and what they actually need/want.

Well, to obtain a pre-existing condition waiver, most insurance companies require you to purchase within the first 2 weeks of making your deposit. If you end up cancelling for a medical reason, insurance companies can be notorious for denying claims based on "pre-existing conditions". It's up to you .... just make sure you read the policy and know what it is you are purchasing before you pay for it.

Yes, there was just a thread on the Carnival board about this. They didn't read the policy, just took someone's word and of course got denied. the guy later sounded quite proud he got his money back though, but got the news media involved so Carnival paid off.

It looks like you are probably all adults over 50?

You do not need to insure the total amount you paid just the actual cost of the cabin before tax and port so it sounds about right

But each adult pays their own I assume?

Also cruise line insurance is more expensive than the much more preferable third party Insurance

I buy travel guard and pay around $70

However if it is $80 per person and that is for a family of 2 parents and 2 kids...... It is way too much.....unless of course you are paying through the nose for you cabin.....as in haven or penthouse

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am travelling on the Breakaway in December .... i am a solo traveler...I booked a mini suite which cost $1678...I am looking at insureandgo travel insurance....now when i get a quote...and they ask me how much was the trip....do i put in $1678 or half of what the cabin is.... insureandgo quoted me a price of $136 for the week when i put in the cruise cost of $1678...the $136 cost of insurance was their premimum package....which i thought that was pretty reasonable.... would like your advice on this, as this is the first time that i am getting the insurance... I am leaving out of New York in the cold weather, and figured if something should happen, or i do get sick on the ship i will be covered.....also if i had to go to the medical doctor on the ship, it states that i am covered under this insurance, but will i still have to put out the cost for the medical doctor, and put in a claim when i return home? how does something like that work?

I am travelling on the Breakaway in December .... i am a solo traveler...I booked a mini suite which cost $1678...I am looking at insureandgo travel insurance....now when i get a quote...and they ask me how much was the trip....do i put in $1678 or half of what the cabin is.... insureandgo quoted me a price of $136 for the week when i put in the cruise cost of $1678...the $136 cost of insurance was their premimum package....which i thought that was pretty reasonable.... would like your advice on this, as this is the first time that i am getting the insurance... I am leaving out of New York in the cold weather, and figured if something should happen, or i do get sick on the ship i will be covered.....also if i had to go to the medical doctor on the ship, it states that i am covered under this insurance, but will i still have to put out the cost for the medical doctor, and put in a claim when i return home? how does something like that work?

In the past I have had to put up with smaller costs like medical doctor, dentist, etc. myself, and then received the refund from the insurance company when I came home again. But if your medical expenses were larger, there is a "SOS telephone number" on the insurance policy or insurance card, where the doctor or hospital can get the guarantee from the insurance company, and you don't have to pay anything "up front".

You would put in your non refundable cost

So you total cabin cost...less...port and taxes as they are refundable

Plus add any non refundable air or hotel or train costs

Insurance is sold in increments of $500....so for your cruise...approx $1500 is what you paid so they would look at that plus whatever other costs you may have but only the nonrefundable cost..Amtrak costs? They are non always refundable remember if you are taking Amtrak

They also consider your age...where you live...and where you are traveling to

I have found that age makes a big difference and the older you are the more costly it is

Go to insuremytrip.com and compare policies

Also bring a credit card with a high limit should you incur medical costs...hospital costs...doctor cost be it on the ship or a port.....

I think you quote sounds reasonable....I recently paid $70 for our $1500 cruise for all 3 of us....but we are talking about a19 yo and 21yo and me....the mom. Also we have no extra hotel or air costs to factor in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

It is Allianz.

I just read the Allianz policies and under the special provisions they list 4 items that must be complied with to exclude the pre existing conditions clause. One of the items is that the policy has to be purchased within 14 days of the first payment (deposit).

I would be interested in learning what policy you are purchasing. I'm sure others would be interested as well.

That is a reasonable premium. That is 8% of the cruise cost. That is what Allianz charges us. (That went up from 7% a few months ago). As the others have answered, that should cover just about all bad stuff that can happen and cost you a bunch of money. But read the info from the insurance company first. It should contain, in plain language, all that is and isn't covered, and any restrictions that might apply.