First review of Uniworld's SS Maria Theresa

Woodrowst

Just returned from the Antionette from Amsterdam to Basel. Did not think it was over the top. As a matter of fact I thought it was very tastefully done and in keeping with its name. Beautiful ship!

I agree with previous poster, I would definitely do deck 3 or 4 if i could get them. Deck 4 with the balcony with the glass that you hit a button to lower was Fabulous!

I would so love to read more about your cruise. Are you glad you did the Amsterdam to Basel direction? What was the name of your itinerary?

Can you confirm that there is a chairlift on at least one set of stairs (port or starboard) from deck 4 to the top sun deck?

Also, can you tell me (or show me) if there were PADDED loungers on the sun deck?

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

I would so love to read more about your cruise. Are you glad you did the Amsterdam to Basel direction? What was the name of your itinerary?

Can you confirm that there is a chairlift on at least one set of stairs (port or starboard) from deck 4 to the top sun deck?

Also, can you tell me (or show me) if there were PADDED loungers on the sun deck?

O&R,

I know your question wasn't for me but I sailed on the SS Antoinette last July from Amsterdam to Basel so thought I would share some thoughts. I really liked that we went from Amsterdam to Basel. The scenery became progressively more beautiful that direction and we felt the ports were better as you progressed(obviously this is a matter of opinion)

The loungers are definitely padded on the sun deck. We used them frequently and they have a canopy that can be raised over your head if needed.

I hope another poster can tell you for certain on the chair lift but I can see it in my mind but just not 100% certain.

The excursions on this itinerary are just wonderful. Should you consider this itinerary with Uniworld don't miss the "Vinegar Tasting" excursion. Sounds awful but was certainly a highlight.

If you can search for JPAlbany's review of the SS Antoinette from last year it is wonderful with pictures and day to day review.

From a few of your posts it sounds like you are definitely interested in a cabin on decks 3 or 4. I highly encourage you to consider a suite on deck 4. It is about 300 sq ft, comes with butler service(that even includes free laundry), many extras in the room from Nespresso machine, fully stocked mini bar, cookie and fruit trays daily, and much more. And the balcony with the all weather access is really nice to sit with a cup of coffee and enjoy the scenery in the mornings.

As you are researching Uniworld there is a big difference in size of suites on their three newest ships which are the SS Antoinette(Rhine), SS Maria Theresa(Danube/Rhine), and the SS Catherine(France). All 3 of these have suites of 300 sq ft with butler service. We are booked on the SS Maria Theresa for December.

Be happy to answer any other questions.

The name of this itinerary is "Castles on the Rhine"

Edited by papa B me

• 5 months later...
O&R,

I know your question wasn't for me but I sailed on the SS Antoinette last July from Amsterdam to Basel so thought I would share some thoughts. I really liked that we went from Amsterdam to Basel. The scenery became progressively more beautiful that direction and we felt the ports were better as you progressed(obviously this is a matter of opinion)

The loungers are definitely padded on the sun deck. We used them frequently and they have a canopy that can be raised over your head if needed.

I hope another poster can tell you for certain on the chair lift but I can see it in my mind but just not 100% certain.

The excursions on this itinerary are just wonderful. Should you consider this itinerary with Uniworld don't miss the "Vinegar Tasting" excursion. Sounds awful but was certainly a highlight.

If you can search for JPAlbany's review of the SS Antoinette from last year it is wonderful with pictures and day to day review.

From a few of your posts it sounds like you are definitely interested in a cabin on decks 3 or 4. I highly encourage you to consider a suite on deck 4. It is about 300 sq ft, comes with butler service(that even includes free laundry), many extras in the room from Nespresso machine, fully stocked mini bar, cookie and fruit trays daily, and much more. And the balcony with the all weather access is really nice to sit with a cup of coffee and enjoy the scenery in the mornings.

As you are researching Uniworld there is a big difference in size of suites on their three newest ships which are the SS Antoinette(Rhine), SS Maria Theresa(Danube/Rhine), and the SS Catherine(France). All 3 of these have suites of 300 sq ft with butler service. We are booked on the SS Maria Theresa for December.

Be happy to answer any other questions.

The name of this itinerary is "Castles on the Rhine"

Thank you for all the great information. Sorry it took me so long to respond, as I haven't been reading or posting much to the rivers section (or even much to Cruise Critic) in awhile.

I know someone who did "Castles on the Rhine" in the opposite direction, but it seems like the Amsterdam port at the beginning seems optimal to me, too. I am very familiar with Amsterdam, and Belgium, especially the Flemish part (love Brugge), and would enjoy beginning a trip with a week or two on land there.

Padded loungers, great! 300 square feet and butlers, also very cool. ;)

I'm looking at several different lines, and just need to decide on one or two. I haven't spent less than a month on land in Europe ever, so I want to factor that, in, too. I cannot imagine spending more time on a boat or a ship than I spend on land (it's a long flight from California), since visiting the countries is far more important to me than the cruising, so it has to be a good fit.

Lastly, how bad is it to enjoy a river cruise if one is not an early riser? (Because I certainly am not!) There will be no rushing for an early breakfast to catch an early morning tour for me. :eek:

Last year we did the Uniworld Rhine cruise...did a pre cruise in Lucerne..and then went from Basel to Amsterdam. Lucerne was a wonderful place to begin...the food, mountains, etc . Nothing wrong with Amsterdam, but so many trips begin or end there...Lucerne made it a bit more interesting. Loved the trip!

Fabulous excursions, food and wine!! A must trip!

Rick

Lastly, how bad is it to enjoy a river cruise if one is not an early riser? (Because I certainly am not!) There will be no rushing for an early breakfast to catch an early morning tour for me. :eek:

We were on Uniworld's Legendary Rhine & Moselle cruise in August. Most of our tours started at 9 AM; I think one started at 8:30. We had, I think, two days where we were still sailing in the morning so we got to sleep in.

Thank you for all the great information. Sorry it took me so long to respond, as I haven't been reading or posting much to the rivers section (or even much to Cruise Critic) in awhile.

I know someone who did "Castles on the Rhine" in the opposite direction, but it seems like the Amsterdam port at the beginning seems optimal to me, too. I am very familiar with Amsterdam, and Belgium, especially the Flemish part (love Brugge), and would enjoy beginning a trip with a week or two on land there.

I'm looking at several different lines, and just need to decide on one or two. I haven't spent less than a month on land in Europe ever, so I want to factor that, in, too. I cannot imagine spending more time on a boat or a ship than I spend on land (it's a long flight from California), since visiting the countries is far more important to me than the cruising, so it has to be a good fit.

We are just back from our 2nd Rhine cruise, this one on the AmaSerena. It was hands down the best of our 11 river cruises to date (details in my signature). We prefer to start in Basel (much easier to get home from Amsterdam) and this time spent a few days in Berlin and one in London before hopping a flight to Basel to join the cruise.

There were several mornings where we sailed until lunch time, making this a good choice for those who want some quite time in the morning. We also had a couple of overnights, which we enjoyed.

The AmaSerena has suites as well, slightly over 300 sq ft. They did have butler service. We opted for the twin balcony stateroom at 235 sq ft and were very comfortable.

We often like to split our time in Europe between the river and land when doing a river cruise. Our priority is time in the places we visit, and Europe is our favorite destination.

Edited by caviargal

I just finished a day by day review of Uniworld and the Maria Theresa for the Christmas Market cruise. Hope it will give you a good feel for Uniworld as you compare. The vast majority of excursions started at 9 am. I think there was one 8:30.