First review of Uniworld's SS Maria Theresa

Woodrowst

When you pay this sort of price, do you really think that a 'problem' like this is acceptable?

Yes. If I bought a Cat 5 room and had no drawers, I would "accept it" and move on. I would find a way to have a good time even though I was suffering incredible hardship.

Yes. If I bought a Cat 5 room and had no drawers, I would "accept it" and move on. I would find a way to have a good time even though I was suffering incredible hardship.

Perhaps you could help those of us more familiar with other lines where the basics are routinely included, just how far do you have to upgrade from a cat 5 room to qualify for drawers? Are there none in the cat 1-4 rooms either, do only suites get drawers?

I presume there is nothing lower than a cat 5, but if there is do you happen to know what else might have been removed? No wardrobe, or perhaps the mattress? :)

Seriously, yes, I get that this is not the end of the world, but even on the worst of the old ships I have occasionally been on, it has never occurred to me that I would get a cabin without a single drawer. I would never have imagined that the question needed to be asked before now, especially of a line like Uniworld.

Perhaps you could help those of us more familiar with other lines where the basics are routinely included, just how far do you have to upgrade from a cat 5 room to qualify for drawers? Are there none in the cat 1-4 rooms either, do only suites get drawers?

I presume there is nothing lower than a cat 5, but if there is do you happen to know what else might have been removed? No wardrobe, or perhaps the mattress? :)

Seriously, yes, I get that this is not the end of the world, but even on the worst of the old ships I have occasionally been on, it has never occurred to me that I would get a cabin without a single drawer. I would never have imagined that the question needed to be asked before now, especially of a line like Uniworld.

They actually make you a promise of both a wardrobe and mattress. They are on the floor plan of a Cat 5 & the pictures. Really, I am giving this topic far too much credence and time.

They actually make you a promise of both a wardrobe and mattress. They are on the floor plan of a Cat 5 & the pictures. Really, I am giving this topic far too much credence and time.

Must admit I've not jumped back into the fray out of fear of reprisals and being accused of being a cheerleader for Uniworld (which I am based on my experience with them). But Los Pepes has given me courage lol. 3 points:

#1. There are two other posters on this thread who sailed on the Maria Theresa who've indicated that Uniworld provided them the high standards which they expected. And yet there's been no acknowledgement of that fact

#2. I'm not doubting the OP's account other then we know perception is our personal reality this seems a bit unfair to assume the perception is 100% exactly as it happened per Uniworlds response(please keep the reprisals civil on this point

#3. Finally I am somewhat surprised that so many are ready to discount a companies track record and so many positive first hand accounts by those who have actually traveled with Uniworld

I will be on the Thersa in December so will see if I'm totally off base here.

Please be kind. Don't want the river cruise board to turn into the Regent board ha

#3. Finally I am somewhat surprised that so many are ready to discount a companies track record and so many positive first hand accounts by those who have actually traveled with Uniworld

It is perhaps worth noting that for at least a couple of us the main reason for our comments is the large disparity between our previous perception of Uniworld service standards and what is being described in this thread.

There doesn't seem to be any reason to doubt the fact that there are indeed no drawers in the cabin, that is a lamentable lapse in design and should be addressed as soon as possible, but obviously not something that can be fixed immediately.

The failure of the service recovery opportunity is disappointing, especially as it seems Head Office were given a chance to respond as well.

Clearly we were not there so perhaps there is more to it, but I'm struggling to see what.

I also don't think that anyone has suggested there is anything wrong with the rest of the ship (beyond personal preferences on interior design choices) or the service levels nor has anyone suggested that people shouldn't sail with them, merely make sure you have drawers in your cabin if they are something you value.

Edited by Mark_T

Looking at the deck plan schematics and comparing cat. 4-5 with 2-3 I see the difference and the issue. In the 2-3 cabins the closet has three sections and it is the middle section that contained the three drawers and a shelf which had surface area to store the quietvox system for re-charging and the safe. It had room to store some clothing. The other two sections were for hanging clothes ( with shelves above for hats,etc. In the Cat.4-5 schematic the closet has only 2 sections and I presume they were both for hanging clothes, ergo No drawers for folded clothes as the OP stated.

In the Cat.4-5 schematic the closet has only 2 sections and I presume they were both for hanging clothes, ergo No drawers for folded clothes as the OP stated.

Thanks, that is helpful.

It would seem then that we can infer at least, that you need to be in Cat 3 or higher to get the drawers.

Must admit I've not jumped back into the fray out of fear of reprisals and being accused of being a cheerleader for Uniworld (which I am based on my experience with them). But Los Pepes has given me courage lol. 3 points:

#1. There are two other posters on this thread who sailed on the Maria Theresa who've indicated that Uniworld provided them the high standards which they expected. And yet there's been no acknowledgement of that fact

#2. I'm not doubting the OP's account other then we know perception is our personal reality this seems a bit unfair to assume the perception is 100% exactly as it happened per Uniworlds response(please keep the reprisals civil on this point

I will be on the Thersa in December so will see if I'm totally off base here.

Please be kind. Don't want the river cruise board to turn into the Regent board ha

I agree completely and would add it would have been nice to have heard more about the ship, staff, fellow passengers and routing. Instead we get a three page thread on freakin' drawers. No one is saying that it would not be an irritant, but come on people.

I was actually excited when I saw this thread pop up, only to be profoundly disappointed by people obsessing over some minor issue. So far I have not garnered any insight to the ship other than Cat 5 rooms have no drawers.

I agree completely and would add it would have been nice to have heard more about the ship, staff, fellow passengers and routing. Instead we get a three page thread on freakin' drawers. No one is saying that it would not be an irritant, but come on people.

I was actually excited when I saw this thread pop up, only to be profoundly disappointed by people obsessing over some minor issue. So far I have not garnered any insight to the ship other than Cat 5 rooms have no drawers.

Maybe to you it's a minor issue but to the op it's not. Besides the no drawers we have also learned that there is a complicated lighting system that nobody can figure out. We did hear about the staff. Op wanted to be moved to a room with drawers and was told it couldn't be done despite the fact the ship was only 70% full. That's the beauty of Cruise Critic

Maybe to you it's a minor issue but to the op it's not. Besides the no drawers we have also learned that there is a complicated lighting system that nobody can figure out. We did hear about the staff. Op wanted to be moved to a room with drawers and was told it couldn't be done despite the fact the ship was only 70% full. That's the beauty of Cruise Critic

Actually it could be done, but he'd have to pay for an upgrade. I wonder if they would have offered any discount on an upgrade.

I expect either drawers or at least shelves for my clothes on any cruise ship or resort that markets multi day stays. Have to agree that the lack of these in an "upscale" setting would be a major, major fail. As I think about my travel experiences it was only in Motel Sixes and places in "Europe on $5 or $10 Dollars a Day" that lacked drawers.

On another cruise line we had a cabin problem. I told the front desk about it and during that breakfast the hotel director approached me with a solution. We left our hanging clothes hanging and quickly put the rest of our stuff in our suitcases. When we returned from our morning walking tour we had another cabin. That's the kind of customer service many of us have experienced on river cruises and it's what we have come to expect.

On a ship with empty cabins, there is no cost to the line to move someone to a better cabin.

I thought the Nepalese earthquake was tragic, but a complicated lighting system... My god! The horror!

Keep in mind two people made reference to the technology on board. That hardly qualifies as "everybody". It qualifies as two and one of them had a hissy fit over drawer space so I am suspect to begin with.

Also, the only grievance I read about the staff was that they did not offer the OP a free upgrade from the LOWEST category room for something they never implied or promised.

Besides the no drawers we have also learned that there is a complicated lighting system that nobody can figure out.

This thread is getting ridiculous. So now half the passengers on the ship are fumbling in the dark and the other half are trying to sleep all night with the lights on because nobody can figure out the light switch! :D

I don't know what category room this, but here is a video tour -

(I sure wish this woman was on this thread, she evidently knows how stuff works.)

Honestly, if one finds this thread so annoying, it is very easy to ignore it. No one is forcing you to read it or contribute.

You are correct. I also want to apologize for my tone in my last post. I read it again this morning and I regret writing it the way I did. It came across as sarcastic and condescending.

My apologies.

Honestly, if one finds this thread so annoying, it is very easy to ignore it. No one is forcing you to read it or contribute.

Yes, you are right. I kept reading thinking this would be a review as the thread title implied. I think the link I posted above is helpful information for those looking for a review.

I will look for other reviews such as the one below and ignore this one.

http://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2015/05/uniworlds-maria-theresa-day-2-cruising-the-main-danube-canal-nuremberg/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RiverCruiseAdvisor+%28River+Cruise+Advisor%29&hootPostID=6df2dca9f77e7423b71abcd13a9ceb75

I second that and will do same......Although dear Ralph seems to be sitting (or rather biking!) down on the job this time around -- I keep watching his site for a REAL review of the Maria Theresa and all I've learned so far is that he's in far better shape than I am and gets better perks (because I hate exercising and haven't done much cruising.) But I'm working on it, well, at least one of them...... ;)

Yes, you are right. I kept reading thinking this would be a review as the thread title implied. I think the link I posted above is helpful information for those looking for a review.

I will look for other reviews such as the one below and ignore this one.

http://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2015/05/uniworlds-maria-theresa-day-2-cruising-the-main-danube-canal-nuremberg/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RiverCruiseAdvisor+%28River+Cruise+Advisor%29&hootPostID=6df2dca9f77e7423b71abcd13a9ceb75

This thread is getting ridiculous. So now half the passengers on the ship are fumbling in the dark and the other half are trying to sleep all night with the lights on because nobody can figure out the light switch! :D

(I sure wish this woman was on this thread, she evidently knows how stuff works.)

This is at least a Cat. 2 room as it looks exactly like the room I shared with my wife (who is Not the videographer). It was obviously recorded upon her first entering her cabin so we really don't know whether or not she had trouble working the push button controls for the lights/ airconditioning/TV, etc as all she says is that they control everything. In fact those controls did Not control All the lights in the cabin or the A/C which had their control module just inside the door. Yes it was all explained to us verbally by a woman with a rather heavy accent when we first entered our cabin and where we were probably paying less attention to her explanations than we should have. We suggested that for future sailings they include a written description of what turned out to be a rather complicated system, perhaps unnecessarily complicated.

Agree the controls are a bit out of the ordinary....but they were very nice in explaining how the controls work. We asked more than 1 time..takes a little figuring out...think you have to realize there is a slight delay from the touch to the lights going off/on..and you think you have to touch it again..and again...You just have to relax and they work. If not, ask.

That is some seriously ugly decor. :eek:

Well I think for fun I could enjoy it just a time or 3. The bedside tables appeared to have 2 smallish drawers each. Closet as much space as some cruise ships. What's missing is the usual desk area on a cruise ship (oh that's right this is Not a cruise ship) that has from 2 to 4 drawers.

Oh well given a choice to stay home or suffer over Uniworld decor and lack of drawers ??? Guess I'd be willing to suffer :)

The "reported" interaction with the hotel staff did not sound what I would have expected from Uniworld .

Uniworld might want to see what can be done to fix this storage issue but with cabins so small that's going to be a challenge.

PS my hubby would hate the decor, I could have fun with it. Maybe a girls trip is called for (oh my storage would be an issue) ;)

To me, the decor was part of the appeal of this line. Considering the history of the areas to be visited and being in that environment thinking about how those castles and palaces were decorated 300+ years ago (at least for the select few).... And it is not like the rooms should be some "horrid" surprise based on all the advertisements prior to launch. Any-who, it takes all kinds and we are lucky to have choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is some seriously ugly decor. :eek:

The decor on their boats is definitely not appealing to me either. It is overpowering.

Decor is just one element of course and we are hoping the overall experience makes up for it.