Deciding between Disney and RCCL for first cruise?

chip2mylou

We are thinking we'd like to take our first cruise as a family this fall. We live in FL, so we have the luxury of being within driving distance of Port Canaveral, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and Tampa. Our kids are 13 and 11. Thinking about a 4-night cruise to start with. We have a very flexible school schedule, so we'd like to cruise in September or October, when it's not so crowded.

We've had Disney and Royal Caribbean recommended by friends who have cruised before. When I compare prices, it doesn't seem to be comparing "apples to apples." Disney is twice the cost for the same length and number of ports. So I have a few questions:

1. Is the higher cost of Disney really worth it? For families with tweens & young teens (who aren't Disney character-crazy)?

2. RCCL has better dining options for our family, but Disney has a better configuration for kids' clubs for our kids' ages. Would one of these areas sway you toward a particular line?

3. Any other things to consider for our first cruise?

Thanks!

You've really answered the question yourself - your kids aren't Disney fanatics. There is no doubt that a Disney cruise is something special - but if your kids aren't that into Disney why waste the money?

I think your kids would love one of the RCCL mega-ships like Allure or Oasis - there is so much for kids of their age to do. Flow riders, zipline, ice rink, rock climbing wall - the list is endless.

My kids absolutely LOVE Disney - I wouldn't shed a tear if they went out of business. There is NO WAY I can justify Disney's ridiculous pricing on anything. While I have heard that they offer a great cruise experience, I can spend 8-10 days on Royal or Carnival for the price of 4 on Disney. Is cost a concern for you? If not, then by all means blow the whole wad on Disney, if budget is even slightly a concern, and as you stated, your kids aren't in love with the fat rat, then book a cruise on another cruise line. The money you save likely has better uses than fattening Disney's pockets.

If your kids aren't into Disney (my daughter swore off the Disney channel by that age even though she doesn't mind going to Disneyland), I wouldn't spend the extra money.

One thing to think about by going when there's fewer kids on board is that there will be fewer kids on board. There will still be the same number of passengers on ships in October (usually cruise lines will try to fill up ships for every sailing), just many less kids as the school-aged (the non home-schooled ones) on the ship. And usually that could be a less active kids' program.

W1. Is the higher cost of Disney really worth it? For families with tweens & young teens (who aren't Disney character-crazy)?

Thanks!

I dont think so. I mean I wish i could do a disney cruise but cost means I take less vacations.

Something to consider with cruising in Sept with kids your age. there will be VERY few kids onboard.

Sept is prime time hurricane season-- if there is a storm out and about your ship could be rerouted to different ports. do not pick a ship based on a certain port

Most sailing even in Sept and Oct will sail full. Although sailing full it will not be crowded like say an amusement park.

4 days is not a good feel to get for a cruise-- its totally different.

I would say the 7 will be perfect. 4 days you are just starting to relax and its time to pack up and get off the ship.

I have cruised extensively on both lines. Both are excellent and your friends steered you right by recommending them. But no way do I think Disney is worth twice the price of RCI. I would gladly pay more for Disney, but not double. In fact, I only cruise Disney on the dates they offer Florida resident discounts.

And yes, 4 days certainly is a good length for a first cruise. Go and have a great time!

My take is that for us, since we live so far from any port, is that 4 days is not enough, so we won't book anything less than 7. However, having never been on a cruise, and you can drive to a port, 4 days might be a good start. While a 3-4 day is a different experience than a 7 day, you wouldn't want to be committed to 7 days only to find out that you don't like it at all on day 2 and be stuck for 5 more days. Maybe take a 4 day quickie cruise just to test the waters and see if you even enjoy being on a ship. You can always book a longer cruise later. I've also found that the 3-4 day cruises tend to be a bit more wild and rowdier as they tend to be more of party cruises.

You did not mention which ships you are looking at - I believe RCI only has Enchantment and Majesty sailing 3/4 day cruises. Enchantment might have more to offer your kids than Majesty, but neither ship has the same amenities as the bigger Freedom or Oasis class ships. I would check to see if Independence is offering any 5 or 6 day cruises, and if so, would see if one of these fits your budget - much more for the kids and a bit longer vacation.

RSLeesburg has it totally right.

The shorter 4 or 5 day cruises are almost always offered with the older ships with a lot less choice is activities for kids.

Not that they are not fun to be on, just much more limited.

Your location offers a vast choice of options. RCI will probably cost you the same for a 7 day cruise as Disney does for a 4 day cruise.

That will give you the choice of being on a Freedom class or Oasis class ship.

Your kids will love either one of these options.

As far as between Disney and RCI, you basically answered your own question.

The hard part will be to choose which ship and itinerary to go to.

Personally I would choose any cruise going to the Carribean vs the Bahamas.

Good Luck and enjoy whichever cruise you choose.

• 2 months later...

I prefer Disney but at double the cost I would look elsewhere. There are several things Disney has going for it: 1) The kids activities are so good that when you are without your kids you rarely see any kids roaming the ship. Unlike both RCCL cruises 2)The adult only areas are enforced. Unlike RCCL. 3) Disney's private island is amazing! No tendering, you dock there and can get on and off the ship with ease. Again, if you want to get away from the kids go to the adult side of the island. 4) If you drink you can bring whatever you want on the ship. I brought a case of beer and a liter of Sweet Tea Vodka on the last cruise. Perfectly acceptable.

My recommendation: If you can find a Disney cruise closer to the cost of RCCL then take it, especially if they make two stops at Castaway Cay.

Great idea to spend that time with the family - to us a cruise was a great way to enjoy time together and have a bit of a breather. personally I agree that 4 days will limit you to older ships with fewer bells and whistles as well as being a draw to a serious party crowd who want to cram in a lot of drinking and partying. On a seven day you will have the time to fully explore the ship and activities, so if that works I would definitely go for 7 days on RCCL.