I don't understand

Good attitude. We have been cruising since 2001. We r platinum and had hoped to make diamond but then they changed "the rules" and I doubt we wil get diamond. But that's ok.We just move on. They give & they take. Platinum had a perk of free entry to the slot tournaments and now it is BOGO. Now we choose not to enter. Glad to be Platinum but it's not a deal breaker for us. Our 25th Carnival cruise is coming soon....Jan. 2016,

IMO, when 2 or more companies offer the same product (a cruise), then the companies need to differentiate themselves somehow, offering a reason to pull the customer to their side, and then keep them. This is the reason behind the loyalty programs. With Carnival constantly trimming their program, it lessens the reason for a customer to cruise on their line.

As it stands, the only thing C has going for them is the price point. I can take the same itinerary, on a different line for more money. The question is, what do I get for more money? If it includes more add-ons (free or included beverage card, prepaid gratuities, preferred boarding) for $400 more for a 7 day cruise, then is Carnival even the best deal only on the money issue (Comparing to Celebrity)? And then throw in a superior loyalty program (offered by any mainstream line), then why should I choose Carnival?

Why? Because price is still the single most important factor when choosing a cruise.

Some people just like cruising and don't care about bells, whistles, and bribes, and would rather cruise more often than less.

YMMV.

What is there not to understand?

People feel a certain way whenever there are changes. Eventually we all adapt. And if we are truly dissatisfied, we will spend money elsewhere.

This party change is no different from the tablecloth change, which is no different than the numerous threads about the American Table menu or the brunch coupon being replaced with water. Charges on the new room service menus. It's just discussions. People vent and then they get over it one way or another. Nothing confusing about it.

I don't understand cruisers who look at Carnival's loyalty program and make comments like "I'll never experience platinum" because it means having to go on x number more cruises over a time span of x number of years.

I'm from Minnesota, so we generally get a chance to go on one cruise per year. A couple of years, we did go on two. I've been cruising since 2007, and it includes a couple of shorter cruises (4/5 days) in there as well.

I never looked at the number of cruises or sea days and had the attitude that it sucks to be me or that Carnival didn't appreciate my business simply because it would take me a number of years to attain platinum status. I just knew that was the way it was. When Carnival switched from number of cruises to sea days, it actually meant we would have to take 11 (rather than 10) cruises to attain platinum which meant having to wait another year. While I wasn't happy, it wasn't worth getting all upset over.

So next year, after nine years of cruising, we will finally attain Platinum, assuming that nothing else changes. And never once did I complain that it would take so long because I like cruising and I knew that I would get there eventually.

very nicely put, we all don't cruise for a few perks right? We all cruise because we love to cruise, getting there is all the fun (not half the fun) and just a bonus :-)

I would be perfectly happy if they would all do away with their "loyalty" programs and use the money to improve the on board experience for everyone.

If they did do away with the loyalty program, I would prefer they lower the price of my cruise.

To improve the on board experience for everyone is impossible. No matter what changes Carnival made, some would be happy and some wouldn't.

I'm good with how Carnival is.

I don't understand cruisers who look at Carnival's loyalty program and make comments like "I'll never experience platinum" because it means having to go on x number more cruises over a time span of x number of years.

I'm from Minnesota, so we generally get a chance to go on one cruise per year. A couple of years, we did go on two. I've been cruising since 2007, and it includes a couple of shorter cruises (4/5 days) in there as well.

...When Carnival switched from number of cruises to sea days, it actually meant we would have to take 11 (rather than 10) cruises to attain platinum which meant having to wait another year. While I wasn't happy...

So next year, after nine years of cruising, we will finally attain Platinum, assuming that nothing else changes.

Good for you! Much of the population with families can't afford that much consistent annual $ outlay, or continuity in time off work that it takes.

In general, the revised platinum standard on Carnival is the equivalent of the following pace: 10 years of 7 day cruises, PLUS one year of a 5 day cruise. So, 11 years of one week vacations for Platinum, provided they don't make changes when you approach the milestone. There are thousands that skirted that new level of criteria by making into the program based on 10 cruises, and not sea days. The other way many have made it under the revised criteria is that they live in or near a port city and skim the $99 3-4 day cruises which are much cheaper and less overall financial and time off impacts than anyone else not living in or near ports

Gold got smacked on their bennies, so many are riled up. Apparently many of the Gold's enjoyed the social aspects of being invited to and attending a social gathering hosted by the ship/brand.

Again, good for you. Here's hoping they don't add more requirements to Platinum before you actually achieve it.

Edited by eponym

IMO, when 2 or more companies offer the same product (a cruise), then the companies need to differentiate themselves somehow,

As it stands, the only thing C has going for them is the price point.

Why? Because price is still the single most important factor when choosing a cruise.

Some people just like cruising and don't care about bells, whistles, and bribes, and would rather cruise more often than less.

YMMV.

Ding ding ding - We have a winner ! Never minimize the importance of $ .

People have a right to feel the way they feel, and if losing the overcrowded party is a deal breaker so be it. We are all free to be pissed when something is taken away and also free to take our business elsewhere if we choose. What upsets me is the Platinum and Diamond bashing I have seen... my goodness! Is that really necessary?

Personally, I cruise for the experience and the ports. I was a "gold" after my 2nd cruise and did attend a few of the parties, so imagine my surprise when I booked this cruise after being a gold for 2 cruises and finding that I was just barely a gold now, and far from reaching platinum due to the previous changes in the program. Not a biggy to me. I cruised other lines for a while because I went with other people and they chose the cruise and I tagged along. I found while I enjoyed my cruises, I missed Carnival so when I was the one making arrangements, I came back to Carnival - my fave cruise line.

If I had known they were going to drop the party for my level, would I have booked? Absolutely! I could care less about perks and benefits - I am there for the cruise which is reasonable and I know the service and experience on board will be top notch! That is what brings me back to Carnival and someday too I will be a Platinum. No hurry though, as long as I have nice relaxing cruises with good service and great times on board I am getting my money's worth.

Nobody is going to be able to change anybody elses mind - those that are upset or disappointed will be disappointed no matter what anyone else says, as is their right. People who don't mind the change will not suddenly jump on the hate bandwagon just because so many are posting negatively about it. I guess everyone just needs to get it off their chests and then things can get back to normal! ;)

I respect your positive attitude kingoftheicedragons . My feelings are different .I don't care about

loyalty programs because I have no loyalty . 4 cruise lines in just 7 cruises spells that out .;)

Cruise line's care about your next cruises not your last cruises . Their loyalty plans are not

a reward but an incentive and one that you pay for . For each new cruise DW and I start with a fresh search.

We look at all options and don't limit ourselves to any one.

These loyalty plans are a bait and switch scheme which is fine for me because I give them no value.

Therefore they can change them all they want and I won't care . My attitude dovetails well with Carnival which has

a meager plan . Good ! I don't have any expectations of being rewarded so I don't want to pay for a grand program.

My sentiments exactly. Loyalty perks are a nice plus but I would never book a cruise based on them....there many more important factors that take priority when it comes to choosing a ship for our vacation.

Ding ding ding - We have a winner ! Never minimize the importance of $ .

I agree, but if Wal-Mart and Macy's are offering similar items for a similar price after all necessary add-ons, I will shop Macy's:D

I agree, but if Wal-Mart and Macy's are offering similar items for a similar price after all necessary add-ons, I will shop Macy's:D

If they ever do, it will be a going out of business sale. :D Macy's has already been through bankruptcy once,

I never looked at the number of cruises or sea days and had the attitude that it sucks to be me or that Carnival didn't appreciate my business simply because it would take me a number of years to attain platinum status. I just knew that was the way it was. When Carnival switched from number of cruises to sea days, it actually meant we would have to take 11 (rather than 10) cruises to attain platinum which meant having to wait another year. While I wasn't happy, it wasn't worth getting all upset over.

So next year, after nine years of cruising, we will finally attain Platinum, assuming that nothing else changes. And never once did I complain that it would take so long because I like cruising and I knew that I would get there eventually.

Congratulations on approaching platinum status!

I've been cruising with Carnival since the 90s. I've seen a lot of changes over the years, and some of them I haven't been too happy about, but I always manage to have a good time. And I especially enjoy the way Carnival team members act toward me and the things they do for me. That is priceless IMO and the best perk of all. How blessed I am to be the recipient of that!

I think a number of people cannot see the "forest for the trees". We all started cruising for the experiences we would have, never thinking that we would get something for nothing more than spending our money on vacation. Then the perks began and we became obsessed with getting the free stuff. That group (which of course was small at the beginning, and the biggest cruise line in the industry could give us some stuff) has now grown and become an unmanageable group of malcontents - growing larger by the cruise - same will be true of platinum and diamond levels as we move through the ranks. It is a shame that those "gold" folks who are so vocal don't really drop out so the parties won't change as the groups become unmanageable.

Wow some people can be really snarky on this board "no offense":rolleyes:

I am new to cruising so I do not understand the whole loyalty status thing. We have been going to DisneyWorld every year for the past 10 years and spend at least a week at $5000 a pop. You know what kind of loyalty Disney gives me? NONE. I can't even get a special pin code room discount because they know I'm already on the hook and will book without one. Does that stop me from going? Nope, my kids love it there.

I did not start cruising for the perks or the bragging rights to say I am diamond or whatever. I go because I want to cruise, Carnival does not owe me anything.

People will always complain about something. Live life and have fun people.

I completely agree with this!!! My husband and I are going on our first cruise May 16 and I just do not understand all the hype with the loyalty program. My husband and I go on vacations because we want to spend quality time together and get away from our hectic lives. We could care less about achieving some "status". Does having diamond or platinum status make you any better than me, absolutly not. People should focus on the important things in life and this is not one of them.

Ok , so over the last couple of days I've read numerous posts regarding the loyalty program , which might just mean I have entirely to much free time on my hands , but anyway , congratulations on what might be the most " adult" response to the whole situation. The bottom line , which you have stated very simply with your post , is " suck it up buttercup ". We all have the power to make a choice. If you don't like what Carnival is doing , then instead of pissing and moaning about something you cant change , immediately cancel any booking you have and contact one of the other lines , making sure of course their cruises include a free 45-60 minute party with free appetizers because they need to do something to make you feel special.

I have been entertained as well by the plethora of threads popping up and being promulgated by the same set of vocalists on this non-issue.

The very reasonble opinions expressed here in this thread about why this certain "perk" is insignifcant are refreshing to read without the foaming-at-the-mouth zealots screaming "Fraud!".

And to Rock712, it was nice to see someone else use my favorite expression "Suck it up, Buttercup". I love pulling that one out whenever reasonable discussions with someone go nowhere.

Nice to be so close to platinum, but prepare yourself to be possibly disappointed. Carnival has cut the gold level back so far, that the only way they can go now is to start chipping away at the platinum level. So maybe in due course platinum will be nothing much to crow about either. At the rate that Carnival cuts things, I dont place much faith in anything from them anymore. Hopefully I am way off, but time will tell.

I'm well aware that Carnival can and likely will cut back platinum perks in the future. While I'd be disappointed, there is nothing I can do about it. If they say that you don't become platinum until 100 days (not under consideration as far as I know), then it'll just mean about another three cruises to get there, or about three years. I know everyone loves getting perks and things for "free." Myself included. But that's not why I cruise. I'd still cruise if there wasn't a single perk to sailing Carnival over and over again. If Carnival said that they were keeping the levels but that they were meaningless because no one got anything, I'd be happy with that as well, and would still cruise on Carnival. I can't say that we'll be staying with Carnival exclusively anymore--not because of the perks or "cut backs" that have been done to keep cruising affordable, but because we like trying different ports and going to as many different ports as we can, and we've done most of the ports that we can easily go to with Carnival during the time we sail (we generally don't do repo cruises because of the time of year we sail, and I'd love to do a Journeys but we need to make sure we have enough vacation).

Wish there was a "Like" button? [emoji3]

Well said! I would love to make Platinum and even Diamond some day... But I cruise to relax and have fun... Not for status.

I have gold (middle tier) status at holiday Inns and affiliated properties. Everyone I check in to a Holiday Inn Express I slap my rewards card down on the counter and loudly proclaim my loyalty status so the entire lobby may hear of my accomplishment. If only they would give me a lapel pin to wear.......

Have some empathy man. Some people simply wanted to experience what you have had for years. Just even once. You absolutely cannot blame them. You tasted something they will not but since you did, you expect them to not care.

This is coming from someone who said coupons would be fine but I certainly empathise with those who will never get to have what you and others had. You guys can go on an on about how sucky the parties were and so forth but fact is, you tasted what was taken away from others who were on the same path or journey as you. Some of you smack of "I got or had mine, too bad so sad for you" Its not intentional but it comes across as that in a way.

We are happy for you that you got to enjoy, or not enjoy the Gold benefits and that you are going to continue with those benefits. I really am. BUT. Its pretty unfair of you and others to look down on folks who just wanted to experience what you did, as lame as it may be in reality, thats all some wanted. To experience what you did and some did for years. Is it really so hard for some of you to empathise with them?

I notice its mostly you guys who have had the perk for years who are looking down on those who just wanted what you had at the same level. There are some who are not that level, like me and don't all that much personally care, but just because I don't care that much, is no reason for me to tell the others tough crap and condescend to them.

To me its a thread for you and others to feel superior. You had what they almost had, so its easier to see it your way.

I thought it was ok for people to complain about a cruise line's policies here. Is it ok for members to crap on the members that criticize a company policy? (not you King, but many others) Evidently, yes.

I actually do feel bad for people who are losing out. Especially if they were sailing in a few months and then without notice finding out that something they were looking forward to isn't going to be there anymore. And especially bad for people who honestly cannot afford anything more than a 3 or 4 day cruise every other year or so.

I'd be disappointed if I was in their boat. I really would be. My wife would be fine with the coupon, she usually has one drink at the party and I end up finishing it for her, whereas I usually get 3 drinks at the party, so I'm not sure I'd be happy with the coupon. But it's not going to make or break my cruising experience. It would just mean I'm not to the level with that benefit yet. I do understand that to some, this could be seen like the carrot on the stick, and just about when you get the carrot (or the dollar bill from the insurance commercial), it gets pulled away from you and you have to keep going.

Ok another thread on this topic. I only one question. If you went to a major sporting event like a baseball game and they were shooting t-shirts up in the stands would you try and get it? Even though the shirt is probably an ad and wrong size? You betcha I would and feel disapppointment if I missed it. If you honestly answered no I would just sit there and let it fly over my head then you will probably never understand why folks were against the change. I am getting on my cruise ship tomorrow and I will enjoy my last party As gold.

Some years ago when they changed the loyalty program they took a bunch of things away from platinum.

Who knows what else they will do?

Refresh my memory what they took? We've had nine since platinum and don't remember anything taken from us

I have gold (middle tier) status at holiday Inns and affiliated properties. Everyone I check in to a Holiday Inn Express I slap my rewards card down on the counter and loudly proclaim my loyalty status so the entire lobby may hear of my accomplishment. If only they would give me a lapel pin to wear.......

Might have laughed at this a little. :)

I'm platinum with Marriott. The perks are great. Some hotels have reserved parking. I never park there for fear of getting my car keyed.

Wearing a pin... Funny.

I respect your positive attitude kingoftheicedragons . My feelings are different .I don't care about

loyalty programs because I have no loyalty . 4 cruise lines in just 7 cruises spells that out .;)

Cruise line's care about your next cruises not your last cruises . Their loyalty plans are not

a reward but an incentive and one that you pay for . For each new cruise DW and I start with a fresh search.

We look at all options and don't limit ourselves to any one.

These loyalty plans are a bait and switch scheme which is fine for me because I give them no value.

Therefore they can change them all they want and I won't care . My attitude dovetails well with Carnival which has

a meager plan . Good ! I don't have any expectations of being rewarded so I don't want to pay for a grand program.

I'm like you, I like to sleep around. Thankfully my DW likes to sleep around too! We have are preferences in cruise lines but we choose each cruise based on the itinerary, the ship, and the net price. I couldn't imagine us limiting ourselves to just one cruise line just to get some trinkets as a 'reward'. Life's too short to limit ourselves that way. And as they say "variety is the spice of life.":D

Edited by DirtyDawg