Aft or hump on Equinox

elliekate

I love the aft cabins and the view of the wake. The wide expanse of ocean behind us or the view as we departed the islands is unmatched unless you are at the front of the boat when arriving. Didn't find soot to be much of a problem and could get it cleaned if needed.

On the other hand, after two hump cabins, I really liked the convenience of being near the stairs. It was easy to return to the cabin to/from meals, coffee bar or the pool. And, the balcony seemed deeper than the aft cabin; more shade as well.

If walking is a problem, definitely go for the hump.

Judy

I personally prefer mid-ship cabins as there is alot more motion in the back if the seas are not flat. The S class ships are also quite long, with no rear stairways or elevators. If mobility is any issue at all, hump cabins are definitely the better choice.

Although we love aft cabins, on Solstice-Class ships, we won't book anything but the top floor (Resort Level) on the aft. It isn't just the soot -- you have no shade, no weather protection, and zero privacy (from above or below). And while you do have some overhang on the top deck, even there you don't have anything but a standard sized balcony. Compare this to the cabins on the slanted part of the "bump-out" or "hump". The 1st & 3rd have huge balconies -- and the 2nd & 4th are almost (but not quite) as big! :cool:

We've stayed in corner aft cabins about 6 times on the S class ships. Never once had a soot problem, a noise problem, any problem. We're usually on the penthouse deck or just one deck down. We like high up and aft.

On occasion you might see a little piece of paper or a gum wrapper or something on the balcony, but really that can happen anywhere. I always just pick it up and throw it in the trash.

We've been in a hump cabin once - in Aqua Class - and had no issues there either.

And we don't mind that people above can see us if we're on the railing. We don't spend a lot of time looking down at other people's balconies and really if they're sitting on a chair you can't see them. Maybe their feet. It just doesn't bother me.

We were in one of the large midship hump cabins on the Equinox. Best cabin we've ever sailed in to date. Loved it.

Of note, even though some rooms look as though they are right near the elevator lobby...it is not the case. Nice and quiet in this location.