Dawn to Bermuda first week in may was scarey!

rentlady

I was on the Norweigen Dawn out of Boston, sailing to Bermuda May 1st. On may 2 we hit the worse storm , like being in a hurricane!. I was surprised the ship continued on to Bermudia, and didn't take us elsewhere. There was another ship following us and it turned around, was this the Breakaway out of New York? Where did it go since it didn't show up in Bermuda? I am a seasoned cruiser and I was terrified....as were the other passengers and crew!

How was your trip other than the ride there. Any good or bad reports about Bermuda or the Dawn? Thanks ahead of time for any review!

Yes, how was the trip otherwise? I'm doing my first dawn trip in October.

I was on the Norweigen Dawn out of Boston, sailing to Bermuda May 1st. On may 2 we hit the worse storm , like being in a hurricane!. I was surprised the ship continued on to Bermudia, and didn't take us elsewhere. There was another ship following us and it turned around, was this the Breakaway out of New York? Where did it go since it didn't show up in Bermuda? I am a seasoned cruiser and I was terrified....as were the other passengers and crew!

Breakaway was not following you, she leaves on a Sunday and would not be in port when you were. Ships following from Boston would turn North and not go to Bermuda. There was a moderate storm at sea during that time, not near a hurricane. The crew was terrified? Captains rarely put their ship in danger. Hope the rest of your trip was good?

Breakaway was in Bermuda - just arrived a couple days after you. Saw them on the Port of Bermuda webcam.

It can very often be rough leaving Boston. We had some rough seas on that route, also in May--but certainly not a hurricane. That's how it is sailing the No. Atlantic sometimes.

Actually the folks on the Dawn enroute to Bermuda right now could have choppy seas, courtesy of tropical storm Ana. As stated by previous poster, the Captain and his team know what to do to avoid putting the ship, passengers and crew in danger.

Edited by CRUZIN'NANA

Breakaway was returning to New York after her stay in Bermuda (Wed-Fri) when you were coming down to Bermuda from Boston.

Sorry to hear you hit the waves, but it wasn't a hurricane. The captain would NEVER steer into one.

How did you like/enjoy Bermuda?

We have sailed to Bermuda out of Boston eight times, and all but two had a rather rocky Saturday on the way down. Some cruises were worse than others, but we never felt unsafe. Sorry you had rough seas. We are going again Friday; how was the rest of the cruise?

Oh the OP is right. The winds were howling, and everyone was getting sick. I personally saw a half a dozen get sick in the halls. We were moving all over the place - the crew said it was the worst they had been in well over 5 years.

Oh the OP is right. The winds were howling, and everyone was getting sick. I personally saw a half a dozen get sick in the halls. We were moving all over the place - the crew said it was the worst they had been in well over 5 years.

Our 1st cruise from Boston to Bermuda in May, 1997 on the NCL Majesty (pre-stretch) had quite the bumpy ride down AND back. The ship was a lot smaller than the Dawn. We ended up being the only 2 at a table for 10 in the MDR. There were "seasick bags" everywhere, including the elevators and folks camped out in the hallways and lounges during the evening--evidentally to get away from the rough ride in their cabins. A woman actually got seriously injured on our cruise (sea day enroute to Bermuda) while on the promenade deck, and had to be med-vaced by the USCG. So it does happen from time to time. I can see why the OP considered it scary. But as I said before, when you're sailing in the Atlantic, especially North, it can be extremely rough. Remember the "rogue wave" on the Dawn in April several years back?

OP, I do hope you had an enjoyable time while in Bermuda. It's a lovely island.

I pray we hit nothing like that on my July 10 th cruise. A little bumpy is one thing , but rogue waves and rocking and rolling is another. I'm worried about my February cruise on breakaway. I'm sure that will be an experience - hopefully a good one[emoji1]

It would also depend on OP's cabin or stateroom location on the Dawn - which is a mid-sized ship these days and they're built for Atlantic crossings - if they're on the upper deck, extreme FWD or AFT and the ship was turning against cross gale force wind across the bow/stern with 20' or 25' waves - yeah, that would be a very rocky & bumpy ride, and scary for someone prone to motion sickness.

The Bermuda runs out of NY are also known for such wide and we've done 2 runs on the smaller Crown back then (the Majestry was doing BOS-BDI) and we knew that the Boston route are further "exposed" in the middle of the Atlantic. We sailed the GEM the Sunday after Sandy in 2012 against the incoming Nor-easter and that was a heck of a submarine ride for us against 30' waves for 15+ hours once we left NY, hugging the coast on a full & high speed run doing almost 25 knots effectively.

Odds were the Capt. took the best course option available based on weather & sailed around the worst of the storm, you are back to tell stories about it & your sea legs got conditioned - you will look back down the road & laughed about it all. :D Welcome home & don't worry if you have trouble sleeping for the next few nights as the room isn't moving or shaking, it's quite normal. ;)

We were also on this cruise and had a fantastic time - 2 couples - one in a balcony cabin on deck 9 and us in a suite on deck 11. Our sea day on the way down to Bermuda we encountered some weather including rain and rough seas. Most of the day it was bumpy and depending on where you were on the ship you could have been more affected. I have done the Boston to Bermuda run 6 times since 2007 and have been in far more unpleasant conditions.

Bermuda itself was fantastic! The weather was great and in the 70's each day. We chartered a sailboat on Sunday when we arrived. We spent Monday in St. Georges and Tuesday in Hamilton & Dockyard before we headed back out to sea. St. Georges is always a quaint place to visit - Somers Garden was being freshly planted with new flowers. The two sea days going back to Boston were much better and the ship hardly moved! The sea was glass on Thursday for most of the day and we were visited by several whales and dolphins at one point which was really cool.

If you are heading to Bermuda for the first time, it is a very easy island to get around via public transportation.

Edited by madriver

We were on our way back to NY on the Breakaway on that day, left Bermuda at 5pm on Friday to get into NY Sunday May 3rd. Captain said there was a storm and steered us around it though we did have some rough seas Saturday, not a hurricane though.

We had 24-36 ft leaving NY Feb on the Breakaway and I can say the seas last week were a lot less then that I think they may have hit 10-12 ft.

I read a few weeks ago from a poster on another thread, that even in calm seas on the Bermuda route, there can be a lot of motion. He explained due to ocean currents of some kind in that area.

We were on the Breakaway heading back to New York on May 2. I'm sure we passed each other somewhere. Seas were very rough and winds were between 50 - 60 knots. TV Navigation Channel said waves were 14.9 feet. The side to side motion varied between 1 and 2 degrees each direction from level. Didn't bother us too much, we have seen worse cruising the Hawaiian Islands.

Hi,

For those who have just finished and are onboard this year's Boston to Bermuda Dawn cruise can you tell me what night they had the lobster in the Garden Cafe and what night the Chateaubriand was served in the main dining room? These are two dishes that we enjoy and I'm trying to plan our dining reservations for our July cruise.

There is no lobster night on ncl anymore. They served lobster pasta dish that everyone picks out the lobster so if you are fifth in line it is a shrimp and seafood flavored pasta dish. I can't answer the chateaubriand question as I never saw it listed but also didn't eat at mdr every night and wasn't really looking for it. I can tell you for sure its not the last night at aqua since I photographed that particular menu.

Lobster Pasta Night was at sea Day 2. There were "some" who would selectively take only the lobster bits until a server showed up to oversee. We had a few moments in line so chatted him up. I mentioned I wanted only a taste to two and he found a small spoonful which had some nice chunks. It wasn't the best lobster but it was pretty good with the pasta. They were also serving striploin steak which also was cooked well.

Breakaway was returning to New York after her stay in Bermuda (Wed-Fri) when you were coming down to Bermuda from Boston.

Sorry to hear you hit the waves, but it wasn't a hurricane. The captain would NEVER steer into one.

How did you like/enjoy Bermuda?

That's not entirely true. We had 36 hours of 40 ft waves in a Cat 2 hurricane which we knew we were going to go through, in order to get to Iceland.

Granted, they didn't TELL us it was a Cat 2 hurricane until we were back in Belfast, but we knew we were going into weather.

Stephen

We are on the Dawn in Jan out of New Orleans to Western Carribean. We are in the front of ship.Taking seabands,ginger and possibly taking patches for my one son. Did not get sick last time same cruise but the Jewel. Hoping for the best this time. Posts like this scare me

The Dawn is very sea worthy. We encountered 40' seas sailing from NY to Bermuda several years ago. The ship handled the conditions quite well. This was "just a storm" not a hurricane. They did close outside deck and there were sea sick bags at all stairways. We thought it was quite interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk