Price drop: can European bookers benefit from NCL price drops?

Hi can you tell me please, what is the experience of European cruisers when there is an NCL price drop well before the final payment is due? Can customers benefit - it seems from this forum that it is relatively easy for US customers to avail of the lower prices, but is that a complete no-no for Europeans? I booked through a TA in Ireland for June 2016, and am now seeing a price drop of nearly €700 compared to the price I booked for. I contacted the TA but no joy. NCL just direct me back to the TA. I would be interested to hear if anyone who booked in Europe has been able to benefit from a price drop, and if so, how did you go about it?

thanks.

Hi can you tell me please, what is the experience of European cruisers when there is an NCL price drop well before the final payment is due? Can customers benefit - it seems from this forum that it is relatively easy for US customers to avail of the lower prices, but is that a complete no-no for Europeans? I booked through a TA in Ireland for June 2016, and am now seeing a price drop of nearly €700 compared to the price I booked for. I contacted the TA but no joy. NCL just direct me back to the TA. I would be interested to hear if anyone who booked in Europe has been able to benefit from a price drop, and if so, how did you go about it?

thanks.

I am just guessing (since I book all my cruises through my PCC at NCL in the US even though I live in Europe), that you can't cancel and re-book to profit on any price drops (or new promotions) without loosing your original deposit. You might however be able to upgrade to a higher category cabin, if there has been a price drop on those as well - without any cost for you. Doesn't hurt to ask - it might be a good alternative to not receiving any benefits from the recent price drop.

You have probably not paid as much as €700 as deposit for your cruise??? Meaning that even if you cancel and re-book, and loose your first deposit in the process, you might still save some money in the end by re-booking at the new price....?

I am just guessing (since I book all my cruises through my PCC at NCL in the US even though I live in Europe), that you can't cancel and re-book to profit on any price drops (or new promotions) without loosing your original deposit. You might however be able to upgrade to a higher category cabin, if there has been a price drop on those as well - without any cost for you. Doesn't hurt to ask - it might be a good alternative to not receiving any benefits from the recent price drop.

You have probably not paid as much as €700 as deposit for your cruise??? Meaning that even if you cancel and re-book, and loose your first deposit in the process, you might still save some money in the end by re-booking at the new price....?

Same here, we rarely book with an European travel agent.

I like being a smart cruiser.

On some trips the UK/EU prices are better than the US.

Currently you can still get UBP with UK bookings unlike the US.

Booking US is not always the smart option.

I once booked a viva voyage on a British site, which was indeed cheaper.

But my experience is that the US beats European prices almost everytime.

I'm from UK, and booked next cruise directly with ncl and not a travel agent. We have already benefitted from price drops and a cabin upgrade!

How !!!!!!!!!!!!! My cruise dropped £200 and i got didly squat

You have to book with a U.S. TA or NCL.com to get price drops, not with a UK TA or NCL.COM.

Some of the UK TA's are based in the U.S. Always always ask the question about price drops before booking anything with a UK TA.

Maybe by doing what I suggested in an earlier reply - ask for an upgrade instead of a "refund"....

I dont want an upgrade Im booked in an Epic studio cabin for the use of the studio lounge the same as 3 of my friends

The price of our cruise came down and I asked my ta to check. She called me back to say no. I rang NCL to ask them if they ever give price drops to those who booked in the UK and she said no.

I once booked a viva voyage on a British site, which was indeed cheaper.

But my experience is that the US beats European prices almost everytime.

Spirit, Jade, Epic in Europe quite often cheaper UK.

At the moment the choice sale is better for many in the UK as it still has UBP on OV up.

Star is also starting to get better fares UK over US.

Spirit 11 May inside UK £460, US £525 OV UK £930, US 1100

Star 11 May OV £389 US is £680

Looking further out Epic Xmas Dec 19 balcony UK £1089 US £1125

Edited by insidecabin

I dont want an upgrade Im booked in an Epic studio cabin for the use of the studio lounge the same as 3 of my friends

Then I guess you just have to stay where you are, and unfortunately pay the original price. My reply was based on the person you quoted and asked "How?", who said they got an upgrade as compensation....

If you haven't passed the final payment date, and if the price-drop is larger than the deposit you have paid, then you might save some money on your studio by cancelling and re-booking, even if that means that you loose your original deposit.

Edited by TrumpyNor

Last year I booked an EPIC studio at € 799 and started researching because it was my 1st cruise. Two month later the price was € 649 and I called my TA. Answer: We can't do anything, ask NCL. They denied also.

The only way is to cancel and loose the deposit. And if you want this special cabin this process comes along with the chance of loosing it to a fellow cruiser.

Last Year I decided to keep my cabin within 20 meter distance to the lounge because it was to much trouble for saving perhaps € 50.

Today I would perhaps try to get an upgrade because I read somewhere that solo-travelers outside the studio area can get an add on to their key giving access to the lounge. If I could get a balcony it would be worth the little walk [emoji6]

We booked our Epic cruise in Nov direct with NCL. At that time we got $200 on board credit. In Feb I noticed a significant price drop and offers for UBP / UDP / $200 on board credit. A balcony cabin such as ours could take two of these options. I called NCL UK and ten minutes later had the price drop, UBP and $200 on board credit. It cost me a £35 admin fee but I saved over £100 per person.

I then contacted the rest of our group, they did the same, with the same outcome. We were all more than happy!

Perhaps it depends who you speak to but this was all done through NCL UK. Keep trying and good luck.

Looking further out Epic Xmas Dec 19 balcony UK £1089 US £1125

current NCL price- $1249 US YOUR price, is over $1500US

Edited by Budget Queen

Pros and cons.

Nothing on price drops if using UK agents or NCL.co.uk site but if you are buying a package then you have the ABTA / ATOL type protection. If booking US agent may be cheaper, final payments might change according to exchange rates.. Etc.. And if the agent goes walkabout with your deposit...

As others have said UK bookings can get UBP included until end of the month.

Also some UK sites include DSC whereas US sites don't so make sure you are comparing like for like!

Edited by Single Cruiser

current NCL price- $1249 US YOUR price, is over $1500US

I checked side by side on both sites.

NCL.com BALCONY is $1649 + $88 tax UK prices ALWAY include taxes.

$1249 is the inside before tax with no perks

Edited by insidecabin

Maybe by doing what I suggested in an earlier reply - ask for an upgrade instead of a "refund"....

Exactly right. We have had on board credit applied and upgraded to mid ship mini suite. Didn't get any money back, but perks have been added. We were initially offered two meals in speciality restaurant foc but declined and went for the second offer of obc.

Family travelling with us have been upgraded to front facing ocean view from and inside cabin too.

Thanks for all your feedback. Have any of you booked through NCL.EU? That's the site I'm seeing the price drops on, and the one I was originally going to book on independently before I made a last minute (bad) decision to use a TA. I thought the TA would be booking me under the same terms as I was seeing on ncl.eu. Not so.

Bizarrely, I'm only finding out now that the (Irish) TA has booked me through the UK, even though Ireland's currency is Euro and UK is stg£. :confused:The UK site is not showing price drops, so TA doesn't want to know. T&CS on UK site also seem much more restrictive than on ncl.eu. Also, TA has got €1000 deposit from me, but I see on the UK site that the deposit should be £100 per person, or about €600 max. All in all I'm really regretting my decision to use a TA!

Hi!

I'm from Ireland and booked independently with ncl.eu last Sept. The price was much better than ncl.co.uk at the time. I booked an inside cabin for 4 on the Jade for €1,600. Then in Jan I saw the great promotions on offer so I emailed the NCL consultant based in Malta. The price hadnt dropped much on my cabin (€30) but I wanted to avail of the new offer so I upgraded to an oceanview guarantee for €180 euro and got the beverage package and dining package included. At one stage they wanted to charge a cancellation fee of €200 but in the end they didn't? I was very pleased but I definately got the feeling that the consultant had to talk to a few people to avoid the extra fee so I don't think the rules are set in stone??? The dollar is so strong against the Euro at the moment I would not advise booking through US if you are being paid in Euro.

L

At one stage they wanted to charge a cancellation fee of €200 but in the end they didn't? I was very pleased but I definately got the feeling that the consultant had to talk to a few people to avoid the extra fee so I don't think the rules are set in stone???

Many rules of a contract may be negotiated as long as the result is not against a law or against things required by the authorities.

The problem is to find someone who does not think: The next customer will buy my product without additional wishes. And someone who is in the position for negotiating.

But in European travel-laws often exists an additional option. If you can prove after you cancelled that the loss is less than your penalty the cruiseline has to reduce the penalty.

You can check a few days before sailaway if the old cabin is sold or if the ship is full. It should work the better the longer you have until your cruise starts but I would only do this for a higher penalty than perhaps for a studio.

At one stage they wanted to charge a cancellation fee of €200 but in the end they didn't? I was very pleased but I definately got the feeling that the consultant had to talk to a few people to avoid the extra fee so I don't think the rules are set in stone??? The dollar is so strong against the Euro at the moment I would not advise booking through US if you are being paid in Euro.

L

thanks for your feedback. From the T&Cs I've read it looks like they don't charge the cancellation/rebooking fee if the overall price you are paying under the new arrangement isn't lower than before. You probably did the right thing booking via NCL.eu. - wish I had done the same!! (Booking via the US was never an option for me, for the exchange reasons you mention).