Embarkation day questions - Royal Princess out of Southampton

Flo71

Princess newbie but from what I have read:

We can embark earlier than our stated embarkation time;

We can eat lunch in buffet and MDR on embarkation, is this correct? Anywhere else? Where would people recommend lunch on embarkation day?

Cabins are ready quite early, do they give a time that it will be ready by?

I am thinking of booking the Sanctuary (lounger) for a sea day do I go straight there after embarking and try to make the reservation?

Anything special that happens on embarkation day/evening that we shouldn't miss?

Thanks, Donna x

Normally, yes.

We can eat lunch in buffet and MDR on embarkation, is this correct? Anywhere else? Where would people recommend lunch on embarkation day?

You can eat either in the MDR, buffet, International Cafe, Trident Grill, and Alfredo's if your ship has it.

They will be ready by the time you board the ship.

I am thinking of booking the Sanctuary (lounger) for a sea day do I go straight there after embarking and try to make the reservation?

Go immediately[/bupon embarkation.]

Anything special that happens on embarkation day/evening that we shouldn't miss?

Do not miss muster drill or sailaway.

Thanks, Donna x

See my comments.

You're welcome! I know the feeling, I can hardly wait for mine... Only 111 days to go!

By the way, don't miss Alfredo's, I heard it's wonderful. Food at the International Cafe is free except for gelato... and alcoholic desserts...

Also, if you like seafood, don't miss the Ocean Bar, sorry, I can't remember the name.

Have a great cruise!

By the way, don't miss Alfredo's, I heard it's wonderful. Food at the International Cafe is free except for gelato... and alcoholic desserts...

Also, if you like seafood, don't miss the Ocean Bar, sorry, I can't remember the name.

Have a great cruise!

The IC on this ship does not have gelato. It is at a separate gelato restaurant.

The IC on this ship does not have gelato. It is at a separate gelato restaurant.
The separate venue on the Royal and Regal is called Gelato and there is a charge for everything at Gelato including ice cream sundaes and alcoholic ice cream desserts. If you buy a coffee card you can use one punch for sundaes and two punches for alcoholic desserts.

Thanks, Donna x

Yes.

Royal did its first Embark Sat so by the time you go it should smooth.

with Ocean terminal they checkin first and then do security.

Once they start boarding there will be quite a few people checked in waiting in the lounge, sometimes it will be full.

There is a two tier system if not in the priority group then you will have to wait for them and then go by tickets issued in checkin order.

Boarding kicks of around 12:00-12:30 but look for reviews this year to see whatthey achieve, getting those waiting through security takes time and they often stick a photo trap which slows things down even more.

Last year we were around 10:30-10:45 and already there were people waiting, and we ended up hanging around, this year we will aim for around 11:45 and hope we have beaten the buses from London or we may rust arrive late.

Lunch MDR is the way to go sit down relax with service and read the patter(daily program and other paperwork) Speciality dinner reservations are probably worth doing but IME on UK cruises this is no so important as the ydon't fill up that quick so unless fussy about timing you have a bit of time.

Sounds like embarkation at Southampton has gotten better since the last time we were there, which is good news for you.

We had staggered boarding for a TA on the Grand and showed up when our paperwork told us to (12:30) and proceeded to wait nearly two hours to board :mad:. During the wait, I tripped and cut my leg on a rail near floor level outside the washroom (to keep wheelchairs from hitting the wall, I guess:confused:). Fortunately, it wasn't a bad cut, just another irritation in what shouldn't have been an irritating day.

Hoping your embarkation day goes smoothly and you have a great cruise!

Read the Patter that will be in your stateroom when you board. It will tell you what's going on and where food is available. Alfredo's is good, but I actually liked Prego's pizza up on the Lido deck better. IC will be open, too, and plenty of seating around the Piazza.

….I am thinking of booking the Sanctuary (lounger) for a sea day do I go straight there after embarking and try to make the reservation?….

Thanks, Donna x

I was on Royal in Dec. 2013 E. Caribbean, and my recollection is the Sanctuary was taking reservations only for full-cruise reserved spots on embarkation day. They limit the number of these and hold aside some for single full- or half-day reservations that are available starting at about 7:00 AM the day-of, whether in-port or at-sea.

So, if you want to have a reserved spot or two in the Sanctuary for the entire cruise then yes, rush directly there upon boarding and get in line. Otherwise, show up early the day of and get in line.

Bear in mind that it can get quite windy in the Sanctuary when underway (the crew try to make sure you have enough blankets so can be a good nap), and you will be in the Baltics so the weather can be somewhat cool. I think I will play it day-by-day for my upcoming Baltic cruise on Royal this June.

John