Smart casual evening mens shoes question

madwatwoman

Hi

We are booked one four night Ventura cruise and my 24 year old son will be travelling with us. He has a dark suit and black shoes for the formal night but I was wondering about shoes on the casual nights. He will wear chinos and a fred Perry shot sleeve shirt or polo and would normally wear dark trainer type shoes (see below). Would these be acceptable? I would think Black leather shoes would look odd with his chinos. Thanks in advance.

image.jpg.7c0634754a3f957e893aec3232c3fa04.jpg

The P&O site gives the following information for evenng casual dress code:

Evening Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits.

That said I have seen people on Ventura wearing trainers and football shirts in the MDR on casual evening, I have also seen people turned away from the MDR for wearing trainers on Azura and Oceana.

I have worn 'trainers' similar to that on many occassions and there has never been any comment.

I think P&O are more concerned with sports wear with for example big chunky white trainers.

If he is refused entry find a way of disguising the white chevrons ;)

ps - how about a pair of really cheap soft brown rip tape? i have those as well :)

Edited by davecttr

Hi

We are booked one four night Ventura cruise and my 24 year old son will be travelling with us. He has a dark suit and black shoes for the formal night but I was wondering about shoes on the casual nights. He will wear chinos and a fred Perry shot sleeve shirt or polo and would normally wear dark trainer type shoes (see below). Would these be acceptable? I would think Black leather shoes would look odd with his chinos. Thanks in advance.

G Loafers, in off-black, are my standby for a multitude of casual wear. ;)

I got flamed on this forum last year when I mentioned that I wore Henry Boss 'trainers' as part of the smart casual wear. I wouldn't ever use them as actual trainers due to the cost of them (at the time over £200 a pair) but I would and did wear them again on our follow-up cruise without any complaint from anyone on the ship, I think mainly because they don't look like the typical trainer when on and they are pretty damn comfortable.

However back to your question. I would suggest that the picture shown of the Addidas trainer is probably too trainer-looking and might not be accepted. However, others have said that they wore some like them without a problem. Only one way to find out though ;)

Edited by shallwe

I got flamed on this forum last year when I mentioned that I wore Henry Boss 'trainers' as part of the smart casual wear. I wouldn't ever use them as actual trainers due to the cost of them (at the time over £200 a pair) but I would and did wear them again on our follow-up cruise without any complaint from anyone on the ship, I think mainly because they don't look like the typical trainer when on and they are pretty damn comfortable.

However back to your question. I would suggest that the picture shown of the Addidas trainer is probably too trainer-looking and might not be accepted. However, others have said that they wore some like them without a problem. Only one way to find out though ;)

I remember that thread. The responses you got were ridiculous but to risk wearing "striped" Adidas training shoes would be silly.

Exactly what I was trying to say the chances are that a pair of Boss "trainers" would look like casual shoes and not regularly worn as a propoer trainer but Adidas trainers are obvious to most because of the insignia and used widely in most sports.

I think if you wear chinos on a cruise a good shoe choice is "Deck Shoes" Ebay have acceptable looking ones from £15 to £95. It is difficult to argue about not being allowed in on casual nights wearing a decent pair of deck shoes.

Regards John