Westerdam Docking In Sitka

sapete

We have family in Sitka today on NCL's Pearl. They are docked, and report that the wait for a bus was 40 minutes, so the time spent getting downtown was about 1 hour.

Yikes. That wasn't our experience last week - I feel for them! I noticed there was road work being done on the road into town; hopefully that'll get done soon and the situation will clear up. And another reason to sail with the Westerdam (1916 passengers) vs the Pearl (2,394 passengers). Nearly 500 more folks can make for a big difference.

Why yes, yes I am a fan of HAL - why do you ask :)

Docking is better only if the dock is in town. If the dock is several miles out of town and we have to ride a bus, as is the case in Sitka, then I would rather take the tenders.

igraf

.. I know docking is better than tendering for the ship and the cruise line but if the test is successful I will miss tendering and the views from the Sitka anchorage.
Edited by igraf

This was my first time to Sitka and was looking forward to the tender ride.

I waited in line for around 35 minutes, I got off at 9am to take the bus into town. The drivers were informative, easy place to catch the bus back. at the Visitor Center (bus drop off/pick up) were restrooms. I did not miss tendering, as it can take just as long even with priority tendering.

Very nice photos Thesecondsister!

Sandipalms

Just a note on the wait times for a bus. The same could happen with tenders. Just sayn'.

yes that could happen. But HAL in Sitka runs 4/6 tenders at a time. Sitka can't just call 4 more buses. I understand why they are docking because when you have high seas they cancel the port.

To clear up a couple of misconceptions -It takes 10-12 minutes and is pretty scenic -- well, except for the road construction bit. ;) Not sure where the 1 hour drive time came from.

... There is a golf cart that continuously runs from the gangway to the terminal building for those with mobility issues. The terminal has wi-fi, a gift shop, and restrooms. The buses pick you up on the other side of the terminal building, and you don't have to go inside if you don't want.

Our HAL shore excursion (Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest run by Allen Marine) picked us up at the dock and dropped us off in downtown Sitka, a 3 minute walk from the shuttle pickup/drop off point ... which made it easy to walk around town and get back to the ship.

... on the whole, I'd say docking was faster and easier. Yes, you might have to stand in line for the shuttle, but you definitely have to stand in line for a tender; and with the gangway, it's much less of a bottleneck since not everybody has to get off the ship at set times. And much easier for older folks and those with mobility devices.

My $0.02.

Your "$0.02" is worth a veritable fortune to all of us who enjoy cruising to Alaska and especially to those of us who are looking forward to our next cruise there. So thank you for all of your very helpful comments, pictures and maps on the Sitka docking test - it sounds as though it was not an impossible situation but one that could (and probably will) be improved over time if HAL decides to go the docking route.

Thank you again fro sharing your cruise memories and pictures with us. We're glad that you and your Sister had such a great Alaska cruise.

Smooth sailing,

Rod.

• 1 year later...

I really hope HAL will be docking more and more in Sitka. My cabin mate must have his power chair at all times. He would not be able to see Sitka and have to stay on board otherwise.

I imagine HAL would also be providing lift buses at some point too.

I will be checking all these details before I book a cruise that includes Sitka.

I imagine HAL would also be providing lift buses at some point too.

I believe more current information (this thread is over a year old) has indicated that at least one shuttle into town is accessible for those in wheelchairs, scooters, and power wheelchairs. Your companion may have to wait for the next shuttle, but at least the service is offered now.

I believe more current information (this thread is over a year old) has indicated that at least one shuttle into town is accessible for those in wheelchairs, scooters, and power wheelchairs. Your companion may have to wait for the next shuttle, but at least the service is offered now.

Thanks Ruth.This old post is what came up near the top in the search, so I resurrected it . I anyone has a link to the more recent post, l would appreciate it.

Here's the newer thread discussing the docking situation in Sitka, from May 2nd of this year (2016). To verify what Ruth mentioned above, post 63 on that thread observes that scooters can be driven off the ship straight on to the dock, and that there are some shuttles available with ADA lifts for scooters and wheelchairs.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2351547&highlight=handicapped

Here's the newer thread discussing the docking situation in Sitka, from May 2nd of this year (2016). To verify what Ruth mentioned above, post 63 on that thread observes that scooters can be driven off the ship straight on to the dock, and that there are some shuttles available with ADA lifts for scooters and wheelchairs.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2351547&highlight=handicapped

Thanks! I don't know why most recent posts don't come at the top of the search, but I did find it lower down on the list.

Thanks for the current info and link to the other thread. Once I had learned (recently) about the dock I had wondered about the bus arrangements for wheelchairs - although my wife can do bus stairs with assistance and I can collapse her chair and carry it on when needed. Still better for her to not be tendering next June. Preliminary plan is to wait an hour after people start getting off and come back several hours before departure time so wait for bus should be less - even for an ADA bus.

Edited by Sequim88
2nd thought

Thanks for the current info and link to the other thread. Once I had learned (recently) about the dock I had wondered about the bus arrangements for wheelchairs - although my wife can do bus stairs with assistance and I can collapse her chair and carry it on when needed. Still better for her to not be tendering next June. Preliminary plan is to wait an hour after people start getting off and come back several hours before departure time so wait for bus should be less - even for an ADA bus.

We were in Sitka the second week of July. My husband uses a scooter for mobility. The people at the dock have their act together! We got off when we were ready - maybe 30 minutes or so after docking. We went up to the line, the ladies in charge immediately saw we needed accessible transportation and had us come around the line to a spot to wait. We waited less than 10 minutes for a large bus that his scooter fits underneath just fine. He is able to climb the stairs and the first few seats are reserved for mobility challenged people.

Coming back we were about an hour or so early and we again waited maybe 10 minutes max. They have a fully accessible bus but the Greyhound type are great and the drivers and staff are so nice.

Enjoy Sitka. We enjoyed the drive in and had a great time walking around. The totem park has great walkways (gravel but packed and his scooter does very well).

Karen

We were in Sitka the second week of July. My husband uses a scooter for mobility. The people at the dock have their act together! We got off when we were ready - maybe 30 minutes or so after docking. We went up to the line, the ladies in charge immediately saw we needed accessible transportation and had us come around the line to a spot to wait. We waited less than 10 minutes for a large bus that his scooter fits underneath just fine. He is able to climb the stairs and the first few seats are reserved for mobility challenged people.

Coming back we were about an hour or so early and we again waited maybe 10 minutes max. They have a fully accessible bus but the Greyhound type are great and the drivers and staff are so nice.

Enjoy Sitka. We enjoyed the drive in and had a great time walking around. The totem park has great walkways (gravel but packed and his scooter does very well).

Karen

Did the ADA bus have a lift so a person could stay in his power chair?

I'm not sure if the ADA bus had a lift because we didn't have to wait for it. Hubby's scooter fit in the bay of the larger buses and we were fine. I did search for the Port of Sitka and email them beforehand. They were very prompt in replying.

Karen

I'm not sure if the ADA bus had a lift because we didn't have to wait for it. Hubby's scooter fit in the bay of the larger buses and we were fine. I did search for the Port of Sitka and email them beforehand. They were very prompt in replying.

Karen

Thanks...I will do my precruise checking before ahead of time.