Not that upsell - Veendam June 6

So, email in my email box from HAL about a paid upgrade (or as CC members say, an upsell). The Lanai cabin we reserved cost 1399 per person. The upsell is for a Vista suite, but at 299 per a person extra, it is the same price as what is on the HAL site. Going to let this one go and see if they can do better. Otherwise, the Lanai will do just fine.

We just got an email about upsell on our June 1 Eurodam 12 night cruise. We did a VF balcony guarantee (cabin not assigned yet) and upsell to Signature Suite is $899 per person and to Neptune Suite is $1,249 per person. Way too much for us! Have no idea if that is a good deal or not! Maybe if no one bites, the price will come down!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Want to see what incentives HAL is offering. Hope all who've been offered upsells give us the details so we can see about countering their first bid if it doesn't sound that good.

Our last HAL cruise had 2 options for upsell - one to a concierge level from a balcony which we turned down because we didn't like the location. We took the second one for a signature suite that was well located.

Just received upsell for June 1 Eurodam 12 night Northern Europe from veranda vf to signature suite for 899 pp or 1249 for Neptune. Seems high. Can you counter?

For kick and grins, I called HAL about the upsell asking if they would negotiate, but the CS rep said he cannot. I booked directly through HAL via phone (which is funny because I do everything online), so there is no cruise consultant for this cruise. Of course, HAL assigned a cruise consultant for our next trip, but would they be of any use on this one?

Regardless of any future offers, the stateroom booked is perfectly acceptable. Anything else is just like getting a free glass of wine.

I'm on the Veendam now. The upsells were very high to go to a vista suite. I accepted the last one that was still on the high side.

Glad to hear that you're on this cruise!!!

Have a super time. Hope you will tell us all about it when you are back!

That is no 'deal'.

However, we are getting very tainted with so many people now 'expecting' deals on upsells. HAL has conditioned way too many people to think they can book a lower category and for low or no money, get a better cabin than they 'bought'. How do they now stop that expectation?

For kick and grins, I called HAL about the upsell asking if they would negotiate, but the CS rep said he cannot. I booked directly through HAL via phone (which is funny because I do everything online), so there is no cruise consultant for this cruise. Of course, HAL assigned a cruise consultant for our next trip, but would they be of any use on this one?

Regardless of any future offers, the stateroom booked is perfectly acceptable. Anything else is just like getting a free glass of wine.

:D :) 'kicks and grins'....... and a good deal. :)

Hope you are in a cabin you'll enjoy and have a great cruise.

That is no 'deal'.

However, we are getting very tainted with so many people now 'expecting' deals on upsells. HAL has conditioned way too many people to think they can book a lower category and for low or no money, get a better cabin than they 'bought'. How do they now stop that expectation?

If it's an "upsell" you can always say no, so I don't see the issue. If it's an "upgrade" you can't, so the only issue comes if the line upgrades you if you've ticked the "no upgrades" box on the reservation. But even then it's really at the line's discretion, which is what it says in the cruise contract.

I think the problem is people have reported getting upgraded from the smallest inside to the best suite. I know it happened to me. I got upgraded from an FF on the Maasdam to a what was then a suite (I think it would be a Neptune Suite now).

I've also gotten an "upgrade" from an FF to a verandah cabin on the Veendam. Though personally, I don't think of that as an upgrade. I booked a guarantee cabin, so all I was assured of was a cabin at least of FF classification, anything higher in classification would have been equally as acceptable.

I think the thing people need to remember is to book a cabin you'll be happy with. If you go into booking an inside hoping for an upgrade or an upsell that never comes, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

We always book the cabin that we know we will like.

For too long now, too many people have been expecting to get upgrades.

OP booked the lanai cabin that they wanted.

Yes, KK.....

That was my point.

It seems HAL has set up a pattern that many now expect upsells and upgrades. It is so common there is a thought process that people almost feel cheated if they 'only get' what it is they bought and not something considered better/more.

>SNIP<

It seems HAL has set up a pattern that many now expect upsells and upgrades. It is so common there is a thought process that people almost feel cheated if they 'only get' what it is they bought and not something considered better/more.

I agree that there seems to be a much greater expectation of getting "deals" on cruises. I refuse to disclose the cost of any upsell offered to us with anyone except my DH. And to be honest, I don't always discuss them with him :D

There have been a lot of reports here on CC of el-cheapo upsells which IMHO skews expectations. We've personally seen el-cheapos and moderate and high upsell offers. Maybe if more of the standard upsell offers were posted here, that would help people evaluate the offers they are receiving. Yup, a $99 upsell from OV to balcony is a GREAT deal, but (sometimes) a $799 upsell from OV to balcony is also a great deal.

Further to my last post (#16 in this thread) I am confident that some CCers would think we had taken leave of our senses to accept a couple of the upsell offers we took. Let's just say we've never had a $99 or $299 upsell offer :) Regardless, we found value in each of the offers that we took.

Don't get me wrong -- I would love to receive a $99 upsell offer :D

If I have learned anything in life it is to not judge what one person thinks is a value for them vs what I may think is a value. We all have individual tastes, needs, finances, experience and unless someone owes me money, I never have an opinion about how they spend theirs. What I think something is worth matters only to me and the same holds for others.