On board non refundable room credit? (Newbie question)

LoisLane0

You might double check that this particular type of OBC can be used for the auto-gratuity. Not all OBC can, at least IIRC.

Some of the current OBC promotions don't allow it to be used for the daily charge.

So far, the onboard accounting systems do not care about this. Any charge (including the daily gratuity) is subtracted from the OBC until you start owing money.

At the end of your cruise your FIL will receive a final net invoice and attached to it will be his folio and the the 4 others he is paying for. All accounts will be netted to a final amount. If one account does happen to have a credit balance then that credit will be subtracted from any amounts due. It will be a simple addition of credits and debits for all five of you. Nothing to worry about. No need to figure out who has balances remaining.

A few days into your cruise your FIL should visit the passenger service desk or one of the kiosks and print out all of his linked accounts and he will see the net amounts as of that day.

Great! Thanks! This is exactly what I was wondering and that is if the OBC was one big pot, even though it shows up as smaller chunks of individual room credit, because it's under one person's account.

Edited by LoisLane0

I have read both threads that you started and I respect your desire to pay your own way for what you consider to be "extras". But, I strongly suspect your father-in law means to pay for everything, including the drinks and shore excursions, as he is using his credit card on all the bookings. Beyond that, might I venture a thought that it might give him some joy to do so.

We are taking our two boys and their ladies to Alaska in another week and a half, for two weeks of cruising as a family. We also meant to take my parents, but my father had unexpected open heart surgery and traveling so soon afterward is not a wise decision. (It was meant to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary and they don't want "stuff' so we have chosen to make memories for the past decade.) We very much want to treat them to just about everything, so while we have their own credit cards on their accounts, we have prepaid gratuities and shore excursions for them, and will be buying drinks before dinner, wine with dinner, sharing the contents of our mini-bars, giving them coffee cards, etc. They all have some OBC so they can enjoy some additional drinks, etc and if they want to go shopping in the boutiques, well, that is on them beyond the additional OBC ....I know the habits of one of the ladies. We've paid the airfares, hotels, transfers....we want to treat them. It is more than worth it to us to be together as a family. We do it happily...so you see, I don't think he means you to worry about this one little bit, just relax, enjoy and be a family together with no worries. That time together is so precious and builds beautiful memories.

I hope you have a wonderful time and truly enjoy Alaska and your family time. :D

LoisLane),

Is anyone in your party a veteran they are they should apply for the $100 veterans OBC. That's good for $100 OBC per room.

The $100 military credit for cruises of 7 to 13 days is available for each qualified first and second berth passenger. It is not per cabin. So if both passengers in a cabin qualify then each of them will receive the credit. For voyages of 14 days and longer the credit is $250pp and for 6 days or less is $50pp.

There should be a credit card on file for the booking. They will use that for the cruise. I have never had to show a CC when checking in either.

As for the non refundable OBC...Since it is non-refundable, I would find some way to use it while on board. You can't cash it out-so enjoy.

There should be a credit card on file for the booking. They will use that for the cruise. I have never had to show a CC when checking in either.

As for the non refundable OBC...Since it is non-refundable, I would find some way to use it while on board. You can't cash it out-so enjoy.

I've been asked to show my credit Card on every one of our fifteen cruises with Princess.