QM2 - anything you want me to check out ?

Host Hattie

The two main reasons I no longer travel on QM2, the music was so atrocious and when the QR was in use with no access to G32, there were no dancing alternatives. But it's been several years, I could be out-of-date.

Do you feel comfortable evaluating the music, what the QRO is actually playing, not what they claim? Abd what's being played during breaks? It's not too difficult if you can pick out the "1"beat, I'm not looking for precise competition tempos, just a rough estimate. And do they try to offer alternatives when there's a do in the QR or is it still a big shrug?

The two main reasons I no longer travel on QM2, the music was so atrocious and when the QR was in use with no access to G32, there were no dancing alternatives. But it's been several years, I could be out-of-date.

Do you feel comfortable evaluating the music, what the QRO is actually playing, not what they claim? Abd what's being played during breaks? It's not too difficult if you can pick out the "1"beat, I'm not looking for precise competition tempos, just a rough estimate. And do they try to offer alternatives when there's a do in the QR or is it still a big shrug?

How is G32 not accessible when the Queens Room is in use? I recall both port and starboard aisles - the same aisles used by the beverage waiters.:confused:

Sorry don't think I'm going to be able to help out with this one.

Currently unpacking with a little help from Pol Acker - not bad with a drop of Chambord :-)

Like another poster I don't have a question but to say have a good trip.

We are visiting the ship for a tour and afternoon tea while she is in Greenock. As we have not been on QM2 since 2010 we are really looking forward to reacquainting ourselves with her.

As I write maybe I do have a question, she is down to leave Greenock around 6.15pm yet either the Clyde Port Authority or the local council are to put on a firework display on her departure, and having seen them before at Greenock, it will be an excellent display, so is she now leaving much later in the evening?

Henry

The tour list in the cabin shows us in Greenock from 7.30 am to 11.30 pm.

Mind you it still shows Cobh .....

I looked back at old posts but could not find out whether or not the trial of not using trays in the Kings Court earlier this year worked out or not. If they did discontinue using the trays, your opinion of how its working out. Thanks for any info..........................

Just had our first (& probably last) meal in Kings Court, it was fine I just don't like buffets much.

The only trays were being used by staff for table clearing.

I've lost count of the number of posts that you have written proclaiming that the live dance music in the Queens Room is so terrible that you will never again travel on the QM2 again because of it. Once again, I would like to point out that the great majority of the dancers in the QR are social (not competitive) dancers and find the QR Orchestra music perfectly acceptable. BTW, I have never had a problem finding the "1" beat :rolleyes:

Bob

I've lost count of the number of posts that you have written proclaiming that the live dance music in the Queens Room is so terrible that you will never again travel on the QM2 again because of it. Once again, I would like to point out that the great majority of the dancers in the QR are social (not competitive) dancers and find the QR Orchestra music perfectly acceptable. BTW, I have never had a problem finding the "1" beat :rolleyes:

Bob

Thank You Bob ! You've take the words out of my mouth. ;)

I certainly feel comfortable dancing to the QRO, and have been doing so for a number of years. I don't know if this means anything to you , but I'm at Silver level with ( ISTD) and took up ballroom dancing only a few years ago. I've never had a problem enjoying myself on a Cunard Ballroom Dance floor.

The majority of those of us who cruise, do not go on Cunard to compete ...We save that for Blackpool Tower Ballroom .

The "do's" in the Ballroom ? I assume you mean the Captains Reception & the CWC Party. ( both of these functions you too will have been invited to ? ) However, as you know, these functions finish at 8.30pm prompt when the ballroom is free for you to use .

Incidentally Dancer Bob, now you've given up on Cunard ...Where do you go to cruise and at the same time find a good dance floor at sea. ;)

yes please :) could you see if they have any 175 logo tote bags, and any qm2/cunard scarves.

thanks, and enjoy your trip :)

I've seen 175 logo t-shirts, hats, tea towels, mugs but not noticed any bags. I haven't seen any scarves at all - might need to go back to the shop to confirm though !

The tour list in the cabin shows us in Greenock from 7.30 am to 11.30 pm.

Mind you it still shows Cobh .....

Thanks for the reply Hattie. Locally here they are now advertising that the firework display is between 9.30pm and 10.00pm which is the time QM2 is departing. Guess if we are there for 9.30pm we will be on time to see the display and sailaway whatever time it happens!! Either way we hope to enjoy our visit on board in the afternoon and to see her departure.

Hope you are having a wonderful cruise and enjoy yourself and don't worry about all the posters on here, you deserve to have a good time.

Henry

Thanks - I'll report back if I fall over but that might be related to sea conditions/alcohol consumption rather than pot holes !

I sailed the QM2 on a westbund voyage from Southampton to NY, on May 3rd to May 10th. The ship looked great to me. I too was concerned about pot holes since I wear high heels to dinner every evening. The pot holes must have been filled in since I found none every place I walked. The leaks on deck 5 seem also to have been corrected. I saw no trays in use in the Kings Court. I do not like buffets and avoid them but on day of embarkation we were told we had to eat in the K.C. Morning coffee and ice cream is the extend of my visits to the K.C. I hope this helps. Have a great trip Hattie.

S.

[quote name='Dancer Bob'][FONT=Times New Roman]The two main reasons I no longer travel on QM2, the music was so atrocious and when the QR was in use with no access to G32, there were no dancing alternatives. But it's been several years, I could be out-of-date.
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

We watched some of the dancing at the 175 ball last night, from what I remember they claimed to be playing a waltz, tango, rumba & a few other things. I've no idea what they were actually playing but the dance floor was pretty full and people seemed to be enjoying themselves.

[quote name='Host Hattie']I've seen 175 logo t-shirts, hats, tea towels, mugs but not noticed any bags. I haven't seen any scarves at all - might need to go back to the shop to confirm though ![/QUOTE]

I love tea towels, so will definitely need to make a purchase next month! I hope you will find some time to relax and are not too busy rushing around taking care of all of our questions :). I will have to try the Chambord and PA while I am unpacking, great idea!

[quote name='DDBINK1']Hope you are having a great voyage. Wish I were on board also.

I was wondering about the seats in the Planetarium, have any repairs or replacements been made?[/QUOTE]

Great thanks, bit of a delay this morning, too rough to tender

[quote name='DDBINK1']Hope you are having a great voyage. Wish I were on board also.

I was wondering about the seats in the Planetarium, have any repairs or replacements been made?[/QUOTE]

Sorry my first response was a bit abrupt, our tender number was called.
I've only been in the Planetarium for lectures and sat at the side of the room so I've not been able to check them out.
I think someone who has done a TA recently did mention that a lot of the chairs weren't usable.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Thanks, making some assumptions from my previous experience it doesn't sound like there's been any change. I don't think Cunard is going to be beating Costa on price anytime soon, music and dancing is the other deal-breaker, I'll keep hoping for good reports from QV/QE.[/FONT]

I think you are doing great with our questions.
Thank you for taking the time.

I have another question, Does Cunard know you are the host of this forum?

and

Did they give you any special treatment or goodies??

[quote name='DDBINK1']I think you are doing great with our questions.
Thank you for taking the time.

I have another question, Does Cunard know you are the host of this forum?

and

Did they give you any special treatment or goodies??[/QUOTE]

Ha, ha No I'm strictly undercover !

Just a few thoughts from our first week on board -

Only disappointment has been the weather, it's been more like late March than May most of the time. Fingers crossed that everything is OK in Liverpool on Monday for the dancing ships and the Red Arrows.

Food has been great, portion size is perfectly adequate for us, it's nice to be able to eat 3 courses and not feel bloated. We've had most meals in the Britannia restaurant, we have a nice table of 6 for dinner and we've had no problem getting a table for 2 at breakfast or lunch. We've had one pub lunch – the Steak and mushroom pie was amazing but huge ! We are the only ones on the table drinking wine and after a slightly chaotic first night wine service has been good.

We are quite a long way aft on Deck 5, I'm not sure I'd choose this position again, it's a long way from the Commodore Club, theatre etc. It's an interconnecting cabin but we've not heard any noise from next door.

We had rough weather in Dublin Bay so tendering was delayed for about 3 hours. Jo Haley put on several lectures so we got to hear Stephen Payne again before heading out. Communication was good throughout the delay. Tendering was pretty efficient once it did start and was no problem at all in Oban. Once we had a leisurely breakfast we were able to head straight to the tenders without tickets.

Great send off from Greenock, the roads round the port were grid-locked and fireworks were very impressive.

Entertainment so far has included local performers in Dublin and Greenock, an illusionist, Swing singer (plenty of Micheal Buble) and Roy Walker. We've been to lectures by Caroline Aston and Stephen Payne. Her lecture this morning was so full we ended up at a diamond seminar instead. Not our usual sort of thing but my husband won the raffle !

Films have included Selma, Paddington, Second Exotic Marigold Hotel, The Theory of Everything.

Ship condition – our balcony door is showing signs of deterioration, there are marks from water damage on the Deck 5 carpet but there are no current signs of water leaks. There is nothing that would affect our enjoyment of the trip or stop us booking another one.

The ship seems very cold, especially in the theatre. I'm having to take a wrap or jacket everywhere.

[quote name='foodsvcmgr']As I am booked for a sheltered balcony in November, interested in your impressions of ship conditions, Britannia food and service overall since I have not been onboard since 2010.
Have a great cruise![/QUOTE]

What is a sheltered balcony???