"LIVE" - Jewel of the Seas - 16 May 2015 - Royal returns to the West Coast

Bill

From one old Navy man to another, glad that you and Marie had another great cruise together. I always read your "live" cruise reviews. They are so well done, so informative and so enjoyable to be a part of---like we're almost there.

Thanks for another good one.

Paul

Just a heads up -- the Seaview Cafe is still there, but the menu is different. No more fish and chips -- also gone are the chili, and soup in the bread bowl, to name a few.

I could swear that our menu (they have menus now instead of ordering at the counter) had fish & chips on it. But I've never ordered them, ever since our first visit in 2006 where they waiter wouldn't let me because he said they were terrible. I snuck in an order and he was correct.

I hate to say it, but I'm not going to miss Seaview once it's gone. I think it's used as a training venue and, although the manager is very attentive, the staff are a burden to him as their knowledge of English is less than one would expect for somebody taking orders and they don't have an idea of what Gold Anchor Service is. The food was ok, but I am a big Izumi fan, so will welcome that change. Eventually....

Bill, I need to catch up on the rest of your review, but have loved your chronicle of our trip!

Quick question to those of you who were just on the Jewel. I read that Jewel now has Coke Freestyle machines but someone posted that there was only one on the ship and it is in the Windjammer. Just wondering if anyone can confirm this as they weren't on the Jewel last time we sailed her and other ships all seem to have more than just one machine.

Bill

From one old Navy man to another, glad that you and Marie had another great cruise together. I always read your "live" cruise reviews. They are so well done, so informative and so enjoyable to be a part of---like we're almost there.

Thanks for another good one.

Paul

Thanks Paul, much appreciated.

Quick question to those of you who were just on the Jewel. I read that Jewel now has Coke Freestyle machines but someone posted that there was only one on the ship and it is in the Windjammer. Just wondering if anyone can confirm this as they weren't on the Jewel last time we sailed her and other ships all seem to have more than just one machine.

We don't use them as we buy maybe one or two sodas a cruise. But I did see two of them towards the back of Windjammer and they were hardly in use.

Thanks Paul, much appreciated.

We don't use them as we buy maybe one or two sodas a cruise. But I did see two of them towards the back of Windjammer and they were hardly in use.

Thanks, DH likes the Freestyle machines since they have sugar free root beer in them, yuck:eek::p Might still be worth getting him a soda card even on the 8 night California Coastal that only has one sea day.

Hi Bill!

Thanks for writing such a wonderful blog with great photos! The Jewel is still such a beautiful ship and we had such a nice itinerary. It was a pleasure meeting you and Marie on this cruise - we had so much fun with both old friends and new!

I think the 70's show was one of the best we've seen! We were also pleasantly surprised by Bowser's show and of course, Dee's terrific dance performance! I do have photos of her performance so I'll email a couple when I get them downloaded. I also have to mention that during Bowser's show, Larry (sunsetseekers) was 1st runner-up in the hula hoop contest. Kudos to him for being brave enough to get up on the stage!

I hope Marie is feeling better. We will look forward to seeing both of you on a future cruise!

Me, too, me too! I would love to see a photo or two of our newly-minted star. :D

Me three, we were at the later show and missed the festivities. :)

• 2 months later...