Avoiding land tours in large groups

onthewaters

My wife and I are looking forward to some kind of river cruise in 2016. We both are long-time experienced travelers, and the one thing that stops me from wanting to join a Viking or similar river trip is, believe it or not, the many land tours. I do not relish being one of a group of 20 people following someone holding a red umbrella, and listening to the guide on a speaker in my ear.

Sometimes a guide is exactly what is needed, esp. when the guide provides access to places otherwise not reachable. Many other times, we can explore just as well by ourselves. And on our own we will meet more locals!

If we were looking for a line or a ship that offered very small guided groups, or encouraged individual explorations without a guide, where would we start?

Thanks, you experienced river riders! Tony

The tours are not necessary most of the time, only an included option. I would say that the Rhine cruise could easily be done DIY. Even if you used the bus transportation to Heidelberg Castle, there is no need to stay with group. Just be back to the bus at appointed time.

We are very much DIY travelers and only participate in a few (if any) excursions.

AMA is our line of choice and we normally opt for the "Limited Edition Tours" which are included but often with smaller groups.

We don't feel a need to do the tours provided, even though they are included. Often we will just take advantage of the transportation, and possibly admission tickets if they are for a place of interest.

I like to research and plan our days around our personal interests and at our own pace. This is quite easy to do, and more so on some itineraries than others.

Scenic have what they call "Tailormade" GPS devices.

When on a guided tour, they let you hear the guide through headphones, from up to 100m away.

At other times, they allow you to take your own tours, with commentary on various interesting sights as you do so.

We will be on our first trip in 16 days, and will be using them, so will be able to let you know how good they actually are.

Read post #16 by Franski in this thread -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2200827

I feel similarly to you. I had never even thought of doing what she suggested, but now I will. We are traveling on Uniworld too, so it is good to know they will customize ground excursions for travelers.

We have had experiences similar to Franski on our travels with GCT. Friends traveling with Vantage also experienced great service from their CD. It never hurts to talk with the ship board folks and let them know what you want to do.

After a few hiccups the tailor made that Scenic use are excellent we our first cruise with Scenic they had different devices that were quite hit and miss.

The next cruise was the first year with them and they did have a few teething problems it was a great learning curve with both the passengers and crew working it out together. The next cruise all things sorted they are very, very good, as previously said you can wonder some distance from your tour guide (who have all been excellent) excellent for photographers. They are also loaded with information about the various ports etc so you can wonder off and do your own thing. They also come in handy on board as you cruise they occasionally wake up with information about points of interest that you cruise past.

Scenic tours are split into groups of fast moderate and slow walkers if necessary, they also do not cancel a tour if there are only a couple of people who elect for it. Last year this happened to us, so a car not a coach a driver a tour guide plus a young lady learning to be a cruise director with Scenic, fascinating tour and we all stopped on the way back for an ice cream, it was so hot.

CA