NY Times article on solo travel

bottomfeeder

Thank you for sharing! Love that the cruise lines are catching on. Maybe they'll even start a solo supplement discount program if you sail so many times a year or fill a cabin they can't or whatever. I'm happy that they have solo studios on Norwegian for instance.

This is a conversation I had two weeks with the customer service rep when booking a cruise:

Me - Hi.

CSR - Hello, how can I help you?

Me - I'm looking to book x-ship in x-month.

CSR - Great, which type of cabin?

Me - Oh, I'd love 'x-deck, ABC-level, yada'

CSR - Alright, how many people?

Me - 1

CSR - *pause* One person?

Me - Yes

CSR - Are you sure you can't find someone to sail with you?

*Me in agape in disbelief*

Me - No, its alright.

CSR - Family, a friend...maybe a...

Me - Umm, yeah maybe. But not now.

CSR - Well, you've got a few months. You'll be able to find SOMEONE.

Me - Yes, lets just book this.

Cruise booked. End call.

But seriously lady? It's not the WORST thing in the world to cruise solo. I get my room to myself, do whatever I want when I want, and maybe, just maybe, like it.

Edited by cruisevv

Thank you for sharing! Love that the cruise lines are catching on. Maybe they'll even start a solo supplement discount program if you sail so many times a year or fill a cabin they can't or whatever. I'm happy that they have solo studios on Norwegian for instance.

This is a conversation I had two weeks with the customer service rep when booking a cruise:

Me - Hi.

Me - 1

Me - Yes

Me - No, its alright.

Cruise booked. End call.

But seriously lady? It's not the WORST thing in the world to cruise solo. I get my room to myself, do whatever I want when I want, and maybe, just maybe, like it.

I know, I have had the same conversation and I tell them that I just don't have any friends[emoji3]

Me - Hi.

Me - 1

Me - Yes

Me - No, its alright.

Cruise booked. End call.

I had the SAME conversation when booking a cruise a few months ago. Really? I think he was just trying to save me money, but that's kind of like saying, "You're calling about a 14-day European cruise, but can't you do the 4-day western Caribbean?"

*shaking my head*

I get the impression the "stigma" and "stereotyping" is far more prevalent in the US - hence the kind of conversation detailed above.

In most other countries solo travellers (for decades) are not seen to be unusual or abnormal.

I have been travelling solo everywhere since the early to mid 80s and have never had my motives questioned or analysed by anyone - and have met many fellow solo travellers from many countries who have been travelling for similar length of time.

The advertising for cruises in particular in the 80s in Aus was very much aimed at solos and always pointed out the great savings and benefits of sharing with 3 other solo strangers in a quad cabin !!

If I had a CSR on a call that started talking like the above conversation - I would tell them they could shove the commission they were about to make out of my hefty solo supplement - and changed to a different ship !

Me - Hi.

Me - 1

Me - Yes

Me - No, its alright.

Cruise booked. End call.

Wow, how rude was that? I probably would have calmly called her on her rude and offensive behavior; maybe even asked to talk to her superior or work with someone who would not be insulting.

It is none of her business what you do. That is very poor customer service.

You are a more patient person than I. ;)

Me - Hi.

Me - 1

Me - Yes

Me - No, its alright.

Cruise booked. End call.

That is why, I like booking online - there's no one technically to insult me but the pricing, lol. Sigh, some people just don't know how to travel alone and enjoy it, I guess.....

That is why, I like booking online - there's no one technically to insult me but the pricing, lol. Sigh, some people just don't know how to travel alone and enjoy it, I guess.....

9 times out of 10 I book online too :) but for the cruises I've been pricing that have a No Deposit required special, the online check-out still includes the deposit. It's the weirdest thing. So I had to call and book by phone.

Me - Hi.

Me - 1

Me - Yes

Me - No, its alright.

Cruise booked. End call.

I've had similar conversations with coworkers or acquaintances. My favorite is when I'm asked if I'm sure I want to go alone. I've paid the deposit and booked the airfare so I'm thinking I'm committed :)

Me - Hi.

Me - 1

Me - Yes

Me - No, its alright.

Cruise booked. End call.

I don't get it! If they are under a commission they still get paid, if they are on hourly wages or salary they again still get paid. I am sure what they are evaluated on is how many rooms they book, not if you are solo or not.

Personal, it is a long weekend here so my travel agent is closed, but I just sent a message to her to book my third solo of 21 days (back-to-back) and I am sure she is more concerned about her commission, not that I am going alone.

Besides, my travel companion and I have already booked a Cuba vacation this year and an Alaska cruise next year with her. So she makes money whether I go solo or not.

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

I am able to top it....

I am cruising solo - but - most times we are two persons, cruising solo together. We are not a couple, but friends for more than 25 years. And - no - we do not want to share a cabin.

We shared a room during this years if we cannot avoid it. We prefer adjoining cabins, if possible with connecting door, balcony. We like the possibility having breakfast together at the balcony.

OK. I requested two solo balcony cabins. Connecting doors. I have to say - the agent was very very friendly, offered a really good quotation not published.

And the she explained in a very serious intonation , that it is up to me to open the connecting door or not and I should not be forced to do it.

It was really funny (I am in the mid 40th - not a teenage girl - and my travelcompanion has the same age - so no arm candy or sugardaddy....)

The funniest thing - originally I booked the cruise for my mum - so she knows - my mum is onboard too.....

Edited by Wendy-Europe

I've just booked a solo cruise online. When I was getting quotes for a couple of different cruise lines I specifically asked for ocean view cabins or better. The number of TAs that tried to get me to book the NCL solo cabin was astounding. Even when I explained that I want to be able to see OUTSIDE not just have a window into a corridor they still kept trying to push it. If they quoted that as well as the cabin type I actually requested I could maybe understand but when they ignore my preferences and just quote the (tiny) interior solo cabin I wasn't impressed. Needless to say I booked through another TA. I wonder if they get commission per passenger instead of per cabin. Some online sites I couldnt even select 1 as the number of passengers. It's crazy

Interesting post from Calypso 73. I recently talked to a couple who booked based on totally wrong info from a telephone agent- they had no idea what jurisdiction the agent was in, and for practical purposes had no consumer protection or recourse.

I don't believe most of these people have even seen a cruise ship, let alone know what they're talking about.

I've just booked a solo cruise online. When I was getting quotes for a couple of different cruise lines I specifically asked for ocean view cabins or better. The number of TAs that tried to get me to book the NCL solo cabin was astounding. Even when I explained that I want to be able to see OUTSIDE not just have a window into a corridor they still kept trying to push it. If they quoted that as well as the cabin type I actually requested I could maybe understand but when they ignore my preferences and just quote the (tiny) interior solo cabin I wasn't impressed. Needless to say I booked through another TA. I wonder if they get commission per passenger instead of per cabin. Some online sites I couldnt even select 1 as the number of passengers. It's crazy

That's so odd-- they get paid a percentage, which means a SOLO would make them LESS. Strange!

Perhaps they push the studio because they know solo travelers have been pleased with the room and concept. I've not read one complaint about the NCL studio experience.

that doesnt explain pushing a room which does not have the one feature requested by the traveler ie a window to the outside. I have read a few posts which were ambivalent about the studio rooms, some that were negative and some that were positive. As with any cabin there will be those who it suits and those whom it doesn't but a TA really should take into account the requests of the person who is paying them

Second time I've read it, and I'm not quite sure why it focused on who is traveling solo. I wish it had focused on how solos are truly discriminated against, and moves to end that discrimination.

Totally agree......the solo traveler discrimination factor is very prevalent.

Every article I have read about solo travel dismisses the SS (like it is no big deal) or suggests rooming with someone you don't know.........can't imagine. It appears, IMO, this is a bit ignorant and a not thoroughly researched article.

Have you ever sent a comment to an author of such an article? I have not but it is a consideration for us solo travelers. It may start an awareness in the media.

Again, JMHO. :)

Happy and safe cruising all!!!

Edited by Cruisercl
typo

Have you ever sent a comment to an author of such an article? I have not but it is a consideration for us solo travelers. It may start an awareness in the media.

Again, JMHO. :)

Happy and safe cruising all!!!

regularly! I have been known to email the editor of newspapers directly when I think they have employed lazy journos who lack basic research skills !

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, how rude was that? I probably would have calmly called her on her rude and offensive behavior; maybe even asked to talk to her superior or work with someone who would not be insulting.

It is none of her business what you do. That is very poor customer service.

You are a more patient person than I. ;)

I'm fortunate in booking through a Travel Agent who has dealt with me for several years and knows my needs-Multiple Disabilities and that I always arrive with a wad of notes of what I want, so all she needs to do is the online bookings as I'm, due to Legal Blindness-too nervous to do it myself! Indeed the April cruise was cancelled, and she expected me in the office when they opened asking questions. Family situation delayed me, but I've got an extra day';On Board Credit for my cancelled cruise and $AUD35 cheaper price! Think I got the best of that deal! :D

Crochetcruise :cool:

I am able to top it....

I am cruising solo - but - most times we are two persons, cruising solo together. We are not a couple, but friends for more than 25 years. And - no - we do not want to share a cabin.

We shared a room during this years if we cannot avoid it. We prefer adjoining cabins, if possible with connecting door, balcony. We like the possibility having breakfast together at the balcony.

OK. I requested two solo balcony cabins. Connecting doors. I have to say - the agent was very very friendly, offered a really good quotation not published.

And the she explained in a very serious intonation , that it is up to me to open the connecting door or not and I should not be forced to do it.

It was really funny (I am in the mid 40th - not a teenage girl - and my travelcompanion has the same age - so no arm candy or sugardaddy....)

The funniest thing - originally I booked the cruise for my mum - so she knows - my mum is onboard too.....

Wild giggles here. You have the BEST chaperone possible!

that doesnt explain pushing a room which does not have the one feature requested by the traveler ie a window to the outside. I have read a few posts which were ambivalent about the studio rooms, some that were negative and some that were positive. As with any cabin there will be those who it suits and those whom it doesn't but a TA really should take into account the requests of the person who is paying them

As I require a Disabled Accessible stateroom, my choice on the Golden Princess was the Window Suite. Originally I'd chosen a Premium Balcony Stateroom, but once I had been told about the Window Suite being Accessible, and found out if was only $500 more, I jumped on it! So I don't have that hassle of a TA not listening to me-I do all the research and present her with the details to do the online booking I'm too nervous because of limited eyesight to do myself. We're a team!