? About Cruising with Tween

3inthefamily

This is my first post here, forgive me if I am not in the right place!

We are sailing on the Celebrity Solstice this August with my parents (late 60's), my husband and I (early 40's) and my 12 year old son. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the kids clubs. I'm worried that he's too old for the younger kids club and too young for the teenagers! I don't know what to do with him.

I would love any helpful hints. I know Celebrity isn't traditionally a "kids" ship but we aren't going to look a gift cruise in the mouth! LOL.

Thanks in advance!

We are sailing on the Celebrity Solstice this August with my parents (late 60's), my husband and I (early 40's) and my 12 year old son. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the kids clubs. I'm worried that he's too old for the younger kids club and too young for the teenagers! I don't know what to do with him.

I would love any helpful hints. I know Celebrity isn't traditionally a "kids" ship but we aren't going to look a gift cruise in the mouth! LOL.

Thanks in advance!

Our children have cruised with us often. In our case, age 12 was a little too old for the kid's club and activities. Our children joined us at meal times, and/or entertained themselves in the game room. On warm cruises, we all enjoyed the pool and the ports and excursions together.

They were never bored, always seemed to be enjoying themselves, either watching a movie, getting room service, grabbing a burger or pizza or ice cream whenever they wanted!

Sorry I don't have more specific info for entertainment, but they have great memories of cruising. Sometimes we brought all 3 of them with us, and other times just one of them joined us.

Thanks in advance!

Although Celebrity isn't known as a childrens' line, with it being in August, I'm sure there will be others his age to have fun with.

I would say to research your ports of call and find stuff to do that suits his age as well as yours if you can, most kids on holiday enjoy swimming etc, the same as adults, he may make friends on board especially that time of year, there is a sports deck, and a small arcade that are not part of the kids club. Shame you cannot bring a friend, we are taking an extra one with us this year as company for my son!

3inthefamily - when are you going to be on the Solstice? We are going to be on the Aug 7 sailing with our 11 y/o son and 9 y/o daughter. (with our parents - late 60's, my brother - mid 40's and my other brother, his wife and their 3 kids - ages 8, 6, 2). I have some of the same concerns you do but I'm hoping that they'll have a good time.

My two grandchildren loved cruising on Celebrity when they were young. Now, as older teens, they still love Celebrity. :)

The "Tween" age may/may not be a problem.

The older one easily met friends so was not dependent on the ship's program for her age group.

The younger one was often disappointed when Celebrity would cancel planned events when only a few showed up.

LuLu

We have a 12 year old and an older teen. You will find he will make friends with kids in the club around his own age. The older kids tend to group together and leave the younger ones alone. Our DS enjoys playing on the basketball court and using the facilities (Xbox, table tennis etc.) in the teen club. The Activities staff also arrange scavenger hunts, parties, movie nights, late night pool parties etc.

In April, on Equinox, there were only 12 teens in the club. They had a wonderful time, our boys made some lovely friends...even resulting in the dads shooting a few baskets together with the teens ;). So occasionally, less kids doesn't mean he won't have a good time :).

Even if you think he won't like the scheduled activities, take him on the first day. The counselors may coax jim into giving it a try, but if not, he will still have the chance to meet other kids his age. Then, he may find it easy to get together to shoot hoops or whatever, independent of the kids club activities.

Thanks for all of the replies! We will be on the Aug 7 cruise too! The only other cruise we have been on with our son was Disney so there were loads of kids and fun things to do! Now that he's in that stage where he isn't a little kid but not a teenager it seems trickier to me. Not having siblings makes it a little harder too.

@ 3 in the family:

This will be our son's first cruise (well, except for one he was on when he was 2 years old). I've been nervous about the kid's area too, my son is not the most social kid of the bunch so I haven't known what to expect. You should come find us on the roll call - we are a very small roll call so far but it would be good to "chat it up" and see if our son's would be compatible before the journey ;)