Brain stuck on cruise planning

Now that I am basically done planning all of the ports except for taxi companies in Juneau and Skagway I already am thinking about the Western Mediterranean even though May 2017 itineraries are not for sale yet. I want to continue what I have been doing even though I don't need to do it anymore so my brain moved on to Europe almost a year too early. Has this ever happened to you during the cruise planning stages?

Now that I am basically done planning all of the ports except for taxi companies in Juneau and Skagway I already am thinking about the Western Mediterranean even though May 2017 itineraries are not for sale yet. I want to continue what I have been doing even though I don't need to do it anymore so my brain moved on to Europe almost a year too early. Has this ever happened to you during the cruise planning stages?

Happens all the time! Enjoy the planning!

Yup. Guilty. [emoji112][emoji16] I signed up for a cruise in Oct of this year which is a themed cruise. It's called the Parrot Lovers Cruise and we are going to be doing excursions to parrot sanctuaries and that sort of thing. Everything is pretty much planned out for me already, but in doing research about cruises (it will be our first), I realized that there are so many other excursions that we won't be able to do because we are not picking our own excursions.

Soooo...I booked a cruise for us for the following year that is going to two of the same ports and also two new ones that really interest me. My 40th birthday will happen on that one so it will be extra special. Plus, I want to try out an aft wrap since I didn't know about them when we booked the first (we have a cove for that one).

Of course now that the planning for Nov of 2016 is pretty much done (cabin is booked and I know what excursions I want to do), I'm already starting to think about the next one after that. We are thinking about a Mediterranean cruise for July of 2018, when my hubby turns the big 5-0. And when I say "we" I pretty much mean me. My hubby doesn't share in my obsessive need to plan, plan, plan! [emoji6]

Edited by bakersdozen12

Yes, I'm going through one right now. :D Still have to figure out excursions for this year's 12 day trip and estimate schedule while having to plan out for next year flights (and baggage fee :o), hotels, toiletries amounts (where to technically get it since I'm going to need mostly full-size on some items), car services, cash dollar amount, excursions to do plus what ports to skip to skip for the 2nd time and how to get my plants watered for a 3 week trip. Planning - its a wonderful thing, its keeps one excited for their vacation. :D

I call it OCPD....obsessive cruise planning disorder. It's a variation of OTPD ....obsessive travel planning disorder. I have the both the main disease and its subset.:D. When it's in its full glory, you start planning trips before flights are really available...and then change your mind and start planning an entirely different trip. This year's planned trip to Poland, somehow drifted to Peru, and finally ended up being Madrid and Andalucia (flights and one hotel booked so it's cast in stone). And, the summer 2016 cruise we have booked and I've done some initial planning might get changed to another that seems to work better....

Last year I started looking at options for a long Southeast Asia trip for February 2016, when I finally retired...but alas, that's getting put off for a year. But, I'll be ready for February 2017...if it doesn't change to Africa or India by the time I actually decide to reserve. :)

I call it OCPD....obsessive cruise planning disorder. It's a variation of OTPD ....obsessive travel planning disorder. I have the both the main disease and its subset.:D. When it's in its full glory, you start planning trips before flights are really available...and then change your mind and start planning an entirely different trip. This year's planned trip to Poland, somehow drifted to Peru, and finally ended up being Madrid and Andalucia (flights and one hotel booked so it's cast in stone). And, the summer 2016 cruise we have booked and I've done some initial planning might get changed to another that seems to work better....

Last year I started looking at options for a long Southeast Asia trip for February 2016, when I finally retired...but alas, that's getting put off for a year. But, I'll be ready for February 2017...if it doesn't change to Africa or India by the time I actually decide to reserve. :)

Maybe this was my mom's fault. During our first cruise, we talking about cruising the Mediterranean Sea in 2014. I told my travel agent I will definitely take a WM cruise that year . . . only to later hear Mom say she wants to go to the Canadian Rockies first. Now it is 2015 and I still have not booked a WM cruise.

OCPD...I like that, lol. I'm definitely suffering from that. I think now that I've discovered cruising, the one and only thing that will get me through stressful workdays will be the thought of my upcoming cruise. As long as I have at least one booked at any given time, it's all good! [emoji568][emoji41]

I have another symptom of OCPD: insomnia. There is so much to do in Juneau I am guilty of thinking too much while lying in bed at night and losing sleep. Yes, we are in port a long time (nine hours), but I wanted to take a whale tour and a Mendenhall Glacier Gardens excursion and eat supper at the Gold Creek Salmon Bake. I finally settled on the salmon hatchery followed by Mendenhall Glacier in 6 hours and eating supper on the ship. Krazy told me that is a tight schedule so I thought about changing how much time we spend at each attraction.

In the end, I found a way to see whales near Ketchikan so a lot of that planning turned out to be a waste.