Do the board experts think carnival will ever put the panama canal cruise back?

AmberTeka

We sailed that route on the Freedom Three Times.

It was and is my favorite all time cruise ever.

We are Platinum on Carnival and Princess. won't live long enough to be Platinum on HAL but still like it. NCL.......3 cruises. Celebrity 1 cruise

Other cruise lines which go even through 2 locks (? correct terminology?) charge over $300 extra taxes which are paid to Panama. It is $600 for 2 for two to go through 2 locks to Panama. they would not even have a Canal but without the USA. Not Political. China controls six of the port stations there.......so no USA big footing it there ever again. We did build it. Ask them who will come in and defend the Canal if ever attacked. See how fast they can say the USA has a treaty obligation to go in and fight to keep it in Panama hands. sorry. getting cynical in my old age.

Carnival did not enter the canal, but you could ride the Old Railroad, which we enjoyed. Then go to the Mirabella? Lock and then bus it to the Pacific and ride a ferry back across. For six hundreds dollars for two people............I can't see paying that much more.......but if Carnival is never going to do it again

And WHY not? Gas is cheaper. People always packed those cruises.

Why knows why Carnival does not go back to Panama. Costa Rica?

Edited by AmberTeka

Magic will call on panama and Costa Rica next year.

http://www.carnival.com/itinerary/12-day-southern-caribbean-cruise/galveston/magic/12-days/js0/?evsel=J&numGuests=2&destination=all-destinations&dest=any&datFrom=052015&datTo=042017&dur=D3&shipCode=MC

There are also talk Miracle doing a full transit when she comes to Tampa,nothing officially confirmed on that.

Magic will call on panama and Costa Rica next year.

http://www.carnival.com/itinerary/12-day-southern-caribbean-cruise/galveston/magic/12-days/js0/?evsel=J&numGuests=2&destination=all-destinations&dest=any&datFrom=052015&datTo=042017&dur=D3&shipCode=MC

There are also talk Miracle doing a full transit when she comes to Tampa,nothing officially confirmed on that.

Transiting the canal is an expensive proposition. Our cruise on the Liberty that went to the canal and we did an excursion in the canal was a real highlight.

Look for the Splendor to transit the canal if they move her to west coast as has been rumored.

We sailed that route on the Freedom Three Times.

It was and is my favorite all time cruise ever.

We are Platinum on Carnival and Princess. won't live long enough to be Platinum on HAL but still like it. NCL.......3 cruises. Celebrity 1 cruise

Other cruise lines which go even through 2 locks (? correct terminology?) charge over $300 extra taxes which are paid to Panama. It is $600 for 2 for two to go through 2 locks to Panama. they would not even have a Canal but without the USA. Not Political. China controls six of the port stations there.......so no USA big footing it there ever again. We did build it. Ask them who will come in and defend the Canal if ever attacked. See how fast they can say the USA has a treaty obligation to go in and fight to keep it in Panama hands. sorry. getting cynical in my old age.

Carnival did not enter the canal, but you could ride the Old Railroad, which we enjoyed. Then go to the Mirabella? Lock and then bus it to the Pacific and ride a ferry back across. For six hundreds dollars for two people............I can't see paying that much more.......but if Carnival is never going to do it again

And WHY not? Gas is cheaper. People always packed those cruises.

Why knows why Carnival does not go back to Panama. Costa Rica?

The canal is in better shape now than when the US was in charge. The current expansion, if US was still in charge, would be, instead of nearing completion, locked up in political drama while China builds a canal thru Nicaragua. The $300. is charged to all cruise ships/per passenger, whether US, Canadian, Chinese or Uruguayan. The Canal is (rightly) a business, is being run like a business which means that the administrators are required to maximize profits (very American).

As for Carnival....it's all about the money. If Carnival could make major money it would have regular visits. CarnivalCorp has at least two lines that regularly transit the canal (HAL and Princess). Carnival Cruises transits on an "as necessary" basis. There may be more when the expansion is done....stay tuned.

Transiting the canal is an expensive proposition. Our cruise on the Liberty that went to the canal and we did an excursion in the canal was a real highlight.

Look for the Splendor to transit the canal if they move her to west coast as has been rumored.

Believe that Splendor is too big for canal as it is a present. When it came from west coast had to go around S America.

When new cut is finished should be able to go thru canal.

Not until the new set of locks open. They are currently scheduled to be operational by April 2016, but that is two years past the original scheduled completion date.

When the canal was first built, it was part of the arrangement that the US would retain control of it until 1999. Early on, the US not only controlled the canal itself, but exerted political control over the narrow strip of land around it, called the Canal Zone. Since 1999 long passed, Panama gets to control and maintain it now. Both ends of the bargain have been kept, so I guess this is fair.

The current expansion, if US was still in charge, would be, instead of nearing completion, locked up in political drama while China builds a canal thru Nicaragua. The $300. is charged to all cruise ships/per passenger, whether US, Canadian, Chinese or Uruguayan.
So true! They'd probably be obtaining thousands of different permits from god-knows-who before being allowed to even stick a shovel into the soil. Non-Western countries may have their share of problems, but they do their business operations much more quickly and efficiently, with significantly less red tape. Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Not until the new set of locks open. They are currently scheduled to be operational by April 2016, but that is two years past the original scheduled completion date.

True, that is why she won't move until the locks are open. They are actually close to schedule for when they potentially will move the Splendor.

On this 12 day reposition of the Magic, Panama is just a port stop, correct...the Magic doesn't actually go through the canal? I was interested in this cruise but was hoping to experience going through the canal.

On this 12 day reposition of the Magic, Panama is just a port stop, correct...the Magic doesn't actually go through the canal? I was interested in this cruise but was hoping to experience going through the canal.

Other cruise lines do go thru the canal from WC to EC and vice versa

I would just be happy with the former Carnival itinerary that I did in 2010.

It went to Cozumel, Limon Costa Rica, and Colon Panama. It was an 8 day cruise with lots of sea days which I like, but I do also like new and exciting ports of call. I am however bound to a budget, and can usually only do one excursion per cruise, so that time I chose one in Costa Rica and loved it, and still dream about the beauty of that place.

In Colon, I just wandered the dockside shops, and basically spent a day aboard a quiet ship. I have been regretting that decision ever since. My one and only time in Panama, I should have gone the extra mile and done an excursion to the Canal. Alas, sometimes we make bad decisions.

So whether Carnival does a trans Panama canal cruise or not, is really not important to me at this time, but I would love it they would do that route again.

I think it was called exotic southern caribbean itinerary or something like that.

Cozumel, Limon, and Colon. would love to do that route again.

I would just be happy with the former Carnival itinerary that I did in 2010.

It went to Cozumel, Limon Costa Rica, and Colon Panama. It was an 8 day cruise with lots of sea days which I like, but I do also like new and exciting ports of call. I am however bound to a budget, and can usually only do one excursion per cruise, so that time I chose one in Costa Rica and loved it, and still dream about the beauty of that place.

In Colon, I just wandered the dockside shops, and basically spent a day aboard a quiet ship. I have been regretting that decision ever since. My one and only time in Panama, I should have gone the extra mile and done an excursion to the Canal. Alas, sometimes we make bad decisions.

So whether Carnival does a trans Panama canal cruise or not, is really not important to me at this time, but I would love it they would do that route again.

I think it was called exotic southern caribbean itinerary or something like that.

Cozumel, Limon, and Colon. would love to do that route again.

We did that itinerary on the Freedom or the Miracle and was an excellent one.

We did that itinerary on the Freedom or the Miracle and was an excellent one.

for me it was the Freedom, September 2010, an 8 day cruise, and I loved it:)

but I do love them all.:)

We did Carnival's most recent full transit on the Legend last August and it was amazing, whats more is the prices for it were dirt cheap at one point...I saw the price in a brochure for £800 ($1200) per person. By the time we booked it has risen a little but was still a bargain. I think I read somewhere cruise companies pay £80 per person for a transit. It stopped at Costa Rica, Columbia, Cabo in Mexico and Grand Cayman.

Good news is on the horizon though, when the Panama Canal extension is finished every single cruise ship currently afloat will fit through with Oasis/Allure being the only exceptions. This means more Panama Canal cruises for all!

Edited by Velvetwater

When the canal was first built, it was part of the arrangement that the US would retain control of it until 1999. Early on, the US not only controlled the canal itself, but exerted political control over the narrow strip of land around it, called the Canal Zone. Since 1999 long passed, Panama gets to control and maintain it now. Both ends of the bargain have been kept, so I guess this is fair.

So true! They'd probably be obtaining thousands of different permits from god-knows-who before being allowed to even stick a shovel into the soil. Non-Western countries may have their share of problems, but they do their business operations much more quickly and efficiently, with significantly less red tape.

Cannot understand how hundreds of billions of dollars can flow into a small nation like Panama which has about three million residents...........and 99% are dirt poor.....and 1% of so lives like Lords and Ladies of old. Seems Some of that money could circulate. One of the things you notice.............the wires around the air conditioner. The decay. the mold of poverty. The bad condition of the Old Military bases.

The Univeristy of Panama is called The University of Dictators. Guess why. Granted I am old, and I am a USA lover, but I think if the USA still administered the Panama Canal, what with all of our warts and issues...........The People of Panama would have a much better life. And I think that port would be safer in our hands than in the hands of any other nation in the world.....except maybe Canada.

And that is just me.

My first cousin was on Maneuvers with the Alabama National Guard, camped out in Honduras the week the Canal changed hands. He said people in Panama were crying. They wanted the canal to stay with Americans. Not their politicians. They were there to defend the canal and the USA Embassy if trouble broke out. Several National Guard troops were there for "training" purposes. Texas. Florida. Mississippi. a lot of firepower was hidden in the jungle of Honduras.

He has never been back.

Cannot understand how hundreds of billions of dollars can flow into a small nation like Panama which has about three million residents...........and 99% are dirt poor.....and 1% of so lives like Lords and Ladies of old. Seems Some of that money could circulate. One of the things you notice.............the wires around the air conditioner. The decay. the mold of poverty. The bad condition of the Old Military bases.

The Univeristy of Panama is called The University of Dictators. Guess why. Granted I am old, and I am a USA lover, but I think if the USA still administered the Panama Canal, what with all of our warts and issues...........The People of Panama would have a much better life. And I think that port would be safer in our hands than in the hands of any other nation in the world.....except maybe Canada.

And that is just me.

My first cousin was on Maneuvers with the Alabama National Guard, camped out in Honduras the week the Canal changed hands. He said people in Panama were crying. They wanted the canal to stay with Americans. Not their politicians. They were there to defend the canal and the USA Embassy if trouble broke out. Several National Guard troops were there for "training" purposes. Texas. Florida. Mississippi. a lot of firepower was hidden in the jungle of Honduras.

He has never been back.

When we did the Liberty to the canal (and Costa Rica and more) we did an excursion which went to Panama City and then got in a little boat that followed another ship on a partial canal portage. Half way back we exited and took a bus back to the port and the ship.

The point is that when we arrived in Panama City we were blown away, it had a skyline like New York City.

Edited by jimbo5544

When we did the Liberty to the canal (and Costa Rica and more) we did an excursion which went to Panama City and then got in a little boat that followed another ship on a partial canal portage. Half way back we exited and took a bus back to the port and the ship.

The point is that when we arrived in Panama City we were blown away, it had a skyline like New York City.

We took a tour to Panama City in March while on Pride relocation and was also shocked to see the skyline

And that is just me.

He has never been back.

Always thought it was a mistake for a lot of reasons to give it back.

Thread Subject: Do the board experts think carnival will ever put the panama canal cruise back?

My Reply: Ever is a harsh word. Same with never. I would say there is a chance after the retrofit of canal is completed, and they have more ships.

I have been to Panama on both land and sea visits since 1984....you are describing a country that I have never seen.

Panama has a standard of living that is easily the highest in Central America.

I have been to Panama on both land and sea visits since 1984....you are describing a country that I have never seen.

Panama has a standard of living that is easily the highest in Central America.

I would respectfully disagree. When you leave the ship, on the bus to where ever, the buildings in town have that black mold, the eternal sign of poverty in the tropics. ( we fight it in Florida as you do too)

The Old USA military base is rotting. Even transportation was buses that looked like School buses, highly decorated.

Crime is so high that all tourists are warned by signs that are up in the city street........to not go off alone. Most poverty stricken areas have high crime.

there is NO excuse for poverty in Panama. None.

the highest incomes in Central America are ONE. Mexico. Which has an economy bigger than Brazil. Costa Rico has both a higher living standard and an excellent rate of high school graduation. even Nicaragua is making strides in improving their economy,.

I love the Caribbean. I love Central America. To me it looks like the Garden of Eden. I mean no slurs on any nation.

But a nation as small as Panama.......with the huge money they pull..........could do much better for the citizens who live there.......and still have plenty for the Rich. I am a Republican. if that matters. And Juan Williams, who was born in Panama and lived there until he immigrated to the USA...........the stories of poverty he tells are heartbreaking.

I have not been since 2011. the last cruise Carnival ran to Panama. Much may have changed since then. I hope so.