Question about dressing for small boat excursion in Tracy Arm

Dizzneefan

We leave on June 9th on the Legend and are booked for the small boat excursion in Tracy Arm. I have read, re-read, researched, etc. almost everything I could for this, our first Alaskan cruise and I know that we should dress in layers as the weather can change very quickly.

However, I've been looking at the weather for the ports we will be visiting and I am not sure I need a "winter coat" for the majority of the time we will be there, as the temperatures don't seem to call for it, at least right now. I also understand that being on the small boat which take us closer to the glacier, the temps will be cooler than at other times.

SOOOO, should I take a heavier coat for those three hours, or will I be OK with maybe a sweater, fleece jacket, gloves, etc.?

TIA

I usually wear a t-shirt with a pull over type light jacket (Nylon like) and bring a rain jacket that is heavier than the average rain jacket. I bring a backpack to put the jacket in when I don't use it.

Edited by Coral

We leave on June 9th on the Legend and are booked for the small boat excursion in Tracy Arm. I have read, re-read, researched, etc. almost everything I could for this, our first Alaskan cruise and I know that we should dress in layers as the weather can change very quickly.

However, I've been looking at the weather for the ports we will be visiting and I am not sure I need a "winter coat" for the majority of the time we will be there, as the temperatures don't seem to call for it, at least right now. I also understand that being on the small boat which take us closer to the glacier, the temps will be cooler than at other times.

SOOOO, should I take a heavier coat for those three hours, or will I be OK with maybe a sweater, fleece jacket, gloves, etc.?

TIA

Do as you say the layers with the last being water and wind proof. ON the smaller boat there will be lots of opportunity to be outside and outside even when sunny could feel cold. I wouldn't bring a "winter" like in parka etc. for those eastern/mid-west "winters" Think low 50s fall/spring conditions and then you'll be outside from between 10-20' to perhaps a few hours.

Below was the boat we were on, there was plenty of space inside for everyone, but there were many times we were all outside and for long durations at points. If in doubt, or one that isn't cold hardy bring an extra layer or two in a backpack or bag. You don't need to carry it and just leave it inside and get what you need. As you mentioned gloves, warm covering for the head/face is most recommended!

p1171387039-4.jpg

You can see below everything from short sleeves when it was sunny to double layers.

p1184045462-5.jpg

p1184045445-4.jpg

Me, doing two layers ( t-shirt and fleece ), didn't even need gloves yet...

p1184045441-4.jpg

Me, doing three layers on the way back as hanging out with the boat going fast sucks the heat out of you even with the sun out! FWIW by this time of the trip the looong ride back most of the crowd were all down inside trying to warm up!

p1184045453-4.jpg

Edited by chipmaster

I usually wear a t shirt, long sleeve flannel shirt, sweatshirt and finally a light weight rain jacket. I do bring gloves, scarf and ski cap. I take the all day Adventure Bound trip and it its more like 9 hours so I'd rather have an extra layer or two just in case. I also usually spend a lot of time outside on the stern deck, its out of the wind but can still be a bit chilly.

Thanks to all for responses, suggestions and the pictures! I think the parka will stay home but will include the scarves, gloves and hand warmers. They will not take up much space or weight so even if I don't take them out of the pack pack, no harm is done. Probably will wear a hooded sweatshirt as my outer layer so I think we are all set.

Now back to counting down the days!

Leave the heavy jacket at home. I wear a sweatshirt jacket and a jacket that has a sweatshirt like lining. You need hat and gloves. It can and does, get darn cold when you are in front of the glacier/s. Don't underestimate the range of temps. I've gone on these tours- where people were grossly unprepared, and it's a waste of money in my opinion- if you are stuck inside because you are cold.

I am hoping we will be prepared for just about anything and ready to add or take off as needed. I had rather have too much with me and never use it then need it and not have it. We are leaving the heavier coats at home but will have multi layers otherwise.