Perfect on the Marina

ChatKat in Ca.

Yikes! When was the last time you ate at a good restaurant in London that served modern British cuisine? If you anticipate liking the food on Oceania, you'll like modern British cuisine.

Modern British cuisine, like most contemporary cuisine, emphasizes excellent local sourcing and seasonal ingredients. And London, the place I know best, has a vibrant restaurant scene worthy of a destination trip. In fact, last summer, we routinely ate better in London than in Paris where too many restaurants have succumbed to tourist doldrums.

If you have any doubts about the accuracy of my opinion, consider eating at any of the following:

Launceston Place

Hibiscus

Fera

The Ledbury

Dinner by Hester Blumenthal

Harwood Arms (see post #24)

All stellar examples of modern British cuisine!

Of course, I would love contemporary cuisine - from stellar restaurants round the world. I was referencing traditional British cuisine. Having lived in the UK for a few years in the early 70's, I did not care for most ordinary food there. However, I must emphasize that this is where I discovered real butter, and clotted cream, and Brussel sprouts and more that I love still today. Back then, Britain and cuisine were not used in the same sentence. Of course, it is a generalization. Of course, stereotypes are true just often enough to make them stereotypes. Geez...people, get over it. Agree with LHT, who cares what I don't like!:D

This summer, we are touring Europe with our Scottish friends from Edinburgh! How funny that you would recommend the haggis! This is such a joke. These are disgusting and considered a tradition only in the sense of pride of the Scottish who now recognize that the English conquerors who took the best cuts of meat, leaving the offal to the peasants, would now appreciate. Indeed, on any given Burns Day, you would necessarily eat haggis, and at any Scottish wedding, you'll get no cake until the haggis are done, still they are not considered a delight!

It continues to amaze me that people from the United States think it's OK to talk absolute rubbish about Scottish traditions with an air of great authority. So far, I have learned from these boards that Burns' Night celebrates the anniversary of his death - apparently not a lot of people know that (for the very good reason that it isn't true); and now it seems I'll get no cake at a Scottish wedding until the haggis are done. If only I'd known! Seems my Scottish wedding to my Scottish husband who I met at a Scottish university and married in my local Scottish church was all wrong, as was that of all my Scottish friends and relations :D:D.

Though I didn't have haggis at my wedding it is now sometimes served as a starter, but not at every wedding.

I have, however, learned something new which is indeed true. I was aware of staggof as a pork based dish as it's available in supermarkets here, and also the slang variation, but I had never heard it used to refer to bundles of kindling so thank you Pet Nit Noy.

Corpkid, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed haggis.

I have, however, learned something new which is indeed true. I was aware of staggof as a pork based dish as it's available in supermarkets here, and also the slang variation, but I had never heard it used to refer to bundles of kindling so thank you Pet Nit Noy.

You're welcome. Since words intrigue you, I've written a long ramble about words which will eventually lead back to the word "staggof."

I love words so I wait with some curiosity and dread for the day when each dictionary publisher provides its list of words that will be added to the upcoming edition of its unabridged dictionary. Webster-Merriam values providing a snapshot of modern English in its most current version so its list tends to be very long (1,700 words) and emphasizes technology, food, and the economy. (e.g. clickbait, emoji, dark money, crema, chilaquiles, photobomb, and click fraud) Webster-Merriam also deletes approximately the same number of antiquated words from the newest edition at the same time.

Not surprisingly, the unabridged Oxford English Dictionary (OED) -- all twenty volumes of it -- is the slowest adopter of new words. Their list of new words, adopted in March 2015 is much shorter and is curiously old-fashioned. Many of their new words (e.g. area rug, Earl Grey tea, early blooming, earned income, late-breaking) have been in use for so long that it's odd to see them described as new additions in 2015. OED emphasizes including the historical meaning of words and even keeping totally antiquated words for decades after they've fallen out of use.

For the moment, even the Oxford English Dictionary online (OEO) a much abbreviated version of the OED, still includes six definitions of "staggof," the first of which is the kindling definition.

This whole sub-thread about haggis and staggof is one of the reasons I love cruising out of the UK. There's always something that happens during either pre-cruise travel or a port call that dredges up information for long-ago college reading.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I do love words, although I've never studied English, and I'm amused by the idea of "Earl Grey tea" being a new inclusion.

I spend a lot of time with young people and they have a different language where words you thought you knew take on a whole new meaning. I once told my son I thought his friend looked fit and got a very funny look in return. I'd been about to ask if he played sport for a university team because to me fit meant athletic and sportsmanlike ...... I told the same son one day that I was hot and he replied "Get over yourself, mother, you're not that cute!"

Fortunately I share his sense of humour and he is now able to act as my translator.

It's a minefield talking to the youth of today. Rather like posting one's views on Cruise Critic :).

PS: What does chilaquiles mean?

...I'm amused by the idea of "Earl Grey tea" being a new inclusion.

Ditto. I just looked up Earl Grey tea in Wiki and learned that Jacksons of Piccadilly gets credit for inventing the mixture in 1830. I always knew the Oxford was a slow adopter of words, but what on earth motivated them to add "Earl Grey" as a new word in 2015 when the product has been around for 185 years.

...It's a minefield talking to the youth of today. Rather like posting one's views on Cruise Critic :).

Major smile!

...PS: What does chilaquiles mean?

That's Mexican/Tex-Mex comfort food that is enjoying an "it" moment of popularity. Corn tortillas get ripped or cut into small pieces and are then simmered in a spicy sauce. Individual portions of this get ladled into a shallow bowl and are topped with just about anything you'd want: shredded chicken or beef, grated cheese, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, tangy sour cream, cilantro, etc.

Best with lots of cheese (ideally jack or fresh cojita Mexican cheese) and some marinated jalapeños and/or hot sauce...

Wow, has this folder gone WAAAAY off topic...

Edited by JPR

Well as a Foodie, and the OP of the thread - I am ok with the train wreck off the tracks

As one of those who took the train off the tracks I'm so pleased to hear that!

Thanks, Pet Nit Noy and JPR for the info on chilaquiles. Yet another day when I'm learning something new!

Corpkid, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed haggis.

Me too. :) This board can be worse than my high school was sometimes! God forbid you have an opinion and are open to trying new things... Fall in line people... fall in line.

True... I just thought it was a little shortsighted to "poo-poo" someone else's opinion of what is tasty to them and trying something you typically can't get at home. I mean, you don't go to China and not eat the peking duck! (oh my gosh am I looking forward to our Asia cruise next March - I am going to eat everything since I LOVE real and often crazy Asian food!!!). This trip had me at dim sum cooking school in Beijing! And Bulgogi IN Seoul? Oh it's on! :)