Enforced Check In Times?

BullDawg91

We are sailing on the Breeze on May 23rd. There is a lot of debate among fellow cruisers as to whether Carnival will enforce our arrival times. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the times. We got 2-3 which I do not appreciate considering muster is at 3:30 and sail away at 4:00!

Anyone have experience with Carnival actually enforcing those arrival times?

We've sailed DCL a couple of time where they have scheduled times that they DO enforce, but usually they open boarding to everyone by around 1:00 I think. And you check in online and chose a time instead of it being arbitrarily assigned.

I don't know what we're supposed to do between hotel check out and cruise check in if they enforce this.

I just posted concerning this same issue. We are going on this same cruise on Breeze this Saturday 5/23. And I got the call earlier today. I don't remember getting this call in the past with carnival. I called and complained to a PVP and I don't ever call and complain on anything. I'm one of those easy to lucky kind of chicks!

Our delima is we have to turn in our rental car by 12:00 and ride the shuttle over. And I'm not going to pay any extra for car rental due to Carnival CL.

I asked the PVP what will happen if we get there off of a car rental shuttle earlier than our appointed time, will we:

a. be turned away?

b. have to wait longer due to being too early than ort appointed time?

Her answer of-course is that she didn't know and couldn't' answer due to she will not be at that port and know how things are handled from that end.

I told her to be sure to type in on my call log that I am indeed very unhappy before stepping foot on their cruise ship this time. And that depending on how this turns out, our cruising business may go to RCI for now on out.:mad:

::One Hippie Chick:: (not in a groovy and peace-ful mood):eek:

Edited by suzyaz

Ignore the email, it's not enforced. Show up whatever time you would like. Enjoy your cruise

You are a kind soul, I will do just that!:D

::One Hippie Chick:: (Now feeling groovy and at peace);)

Didn't know you could pick the time you wanted to board??

That's the catch. The times seem to be assigned randomly. We sure didn't pick the times. They don't appear to be related to your status or whether you bought FTTF. It doesn't have anything to do with any flight information you put in because we're arriving a day early.

Our ship appears to be at capacity which is why we're worried about it being enforced.

That's the catch. The times seem to be assigned randomly. We sure didn't pick the times. They don't appear to be related to your status or whether you bought FTTF. It doesn't have anything to do with any flight information you put in because we're arriving a day early.

Our ship appears to be at capacity which is why we're worried about it being enforced.

The email is sent out randomly. We've received it before every Carnival cruise. However, each time we have arrived at port around 10:00 am and been on the ship by 11:30am. It's your vacation and you paid for it. Get on the ship and start enjoying it as soon as possible. They won't turn you away. I promise.

Carnival sends these out to stagger the times for boarding so there aren't long lines. Feel free to get to the port when you want to but keep in mind that if there is a delay such as an inspection or something, and that you have to wait, you can't complain as you got there early.

Carnival doesn't use any sense when mailing these as they are sent to FTTF and Platinum guests even though they are able to board first. It seems that more and more people are arriving early at the ports, so there probably will be longer waits than usual, but it's your call as to when you get there if going early.

Our last 3 cruises we've gotten FTTF and this last cruise they sent us an email saying 12-1 pm we could show up.:rolleyes: I said that is not one of the reasons why I paid 50 bucks for FTTF..I showed up at 10:30 and by 11 was onboard. I know it's a random call or letter they send out but seriously you are pushing and touting FTTF and you send a dumb letter out like that? Um..NO. At least take your FTTF guests out of that letter/call generator!

We are sailing on the Breeze on May 23rd. There is a lot of debate among fellow cruisers as to whether Carnival will enforce our arrival times. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the times. We got 2-3 which I do not appreciate considering muster is at 3:30 and sail away at 4:00!

Anyone have experience with Carnival actually enforcing those arrival times?

We've sailed DCL a couple of time where they have scheduled times that they DO enforce, but usually they open boarding to everyone by around 1:00 I think. And you check in online and chose a time instead of it being arbitrarily assigned.

I don't know what we're supposed to do between hotel check out and cruise check in if they enforce this.

Our last two sailings on the Breeze in December and April, both had delayed embarkation. We received the letters both times. For what it is worth.....

I think that the hoards of people that "THINK' they should be able to "board" whenever they get to the terminal have 'created" the need for these emails. I've gotten off these ships as the last man standing (10:00 or later) and have been amazed at the early arrivals who end up standing in lines and making such a congestion of the outside area that it is virtually impossible for debarking passengers to move their luggage or find their transportation away from the terminal...and the parking lots become a joke as "new" boarders make it a hazard for others to get to their cars to try and leave the area.

As long as people insist that they need to be there early the embark process will be slower and slower, more cumbersome for everyone and eventually these emails will begin to hold some water.

The thing to remember is that Carnival holds the cards and they can choose to implement later boarding irregardless of the humanity that says to just ignore anything Carnival sends out. Stand around and wait is not my style...I'd rather plan my morning so that I arrive at the published (per the website) time and eliminate the hassles and the hoards of impatient travelers with their entitled attitudes, frayed nerves, and "I know best" mind sets.

People can choose to do what they want but it is becoming tiresome to hear all the negatives when someone's traditional plans don't work out for them and they continue to complain about the mess of embark or debark. They are the "CAUSE" of the mess though they will never allow themselves to take responsibility.

I think that the hoards of people that "THINK' they should be able to "board" whenever they get to the terminal have 'created" the need for these emails. I've gotten off these ships as the last man standing (10:00 or later) and have been amazed at the early arrivals who end up standing in lines and making such a congestion of the outside area that it is virtually impossible for debarking passengers to move their luggage or find their transportation away from the terminal...and the parking lots become a joke as "new" boarders make it a hazard for others to get to their cars to try and leave the area.

As long as people insist that they need to be there early the embark process will be slower and slower, more cumbersome for everyone and eventually these emails will begin to hold some water.

The thing to remember is that Carnival holds the cards and they can choose to implement later boarding irregardless of the humanity that says to just ignore anything Carnival sends out. Stand around and wait is not my style...I'd rather plan my morning so that I arrive at the published (per the website) time and eliminate the hassles and the hoards of impatient travelers with their entitled attitudes, frayed nerves, and "I know best" mind sets.

People can choose to do what they want but it is becoming tiresome to hear all the negatives when someone's traditional plans don't work out for them and they continue to complain about the mess of embark or debark. They are the "CAUSE" of the mess though they will never allow themselves to take responsibility.

So people are waiting to be the last person off the ship because they THINK they should be able to "disembark" whenever they like. Thus delaying others getting on the ship, causing the longer embarkation lines, and creating the need for these emails.

One would also have to assume that those not getting off the ship in a timely manner would directly contribute the joke that the parking lots have become.

Edited by UKJJ

I told her to be sure to type in on my call log that I am indeed very unhappy before stepping foot on their cruise ship this time. And that depending on how this turns out, our cruising business may go to RCI for now on out.:mad:

::One Hippie Chick:: (not in a groovy and peace-ful mood):eek:

You do know RCL does this same thing right?

35 Carnival cruises and I only get the email about 1/2 the time. The group I travel with indicates that only about 1/2 of them get the email. I never pay attention to it. I usually arrive at the pier (at any embarkation port) around 10:15 and I'm quite content to sit and read until boarding begins which is usually shortly after 11. But even if it was later than that I'd still be okay to wait.

I think embarkation is getting faster and more efficient not slower as a pp wrote.

You do know RCL does this same thing right?

Yes, we had the same thing for boarding in Southampton to go to Norway on RCL. We, more or less, tried to be as close as reasonably possible to the proscribed time, but were quite early. We kind of hung out outside for a bit, then said, what the heck, let's go in and see if they'll let us on. We had no problem.

We also had a suggested time when boarding a CCL cruise in San Juan. We ignored it entirely and got on when we got on. (Our hotel was a block away, with checkout at 11 or 12).

They are attempting crowd control, which, in spite of some people being unable to abide by the suggested times, seems to work fairly well. I look at the time as more of a suggestion than a requirement. Some will get there later, some earlier, many, due to circumstances beyond their control.

Edited by srlafleur

In Miami, last two times getting off the ship before 8 am, there were people arriving.

There are no amenities, a very small bathroom and few places to sit out of the sun so when cruisers start arriving before Security is open, they contribute to the chaos of departing guests. The terminal will only hold a portion of all the incoming guests and once they reach capacity, the security lines freeze. Ends up with hundreds of guests standing in Florida heat for a considerable amount of time. That's all when disbark is on time. Several times I have been there when wedding parties didn't board until after 12 and one memorable time, after 1 pm.

Arrive as you wish but bring water and a snack. (Loads of folks complain that they MUST get on board to get something to eat because of "the sugar".

I have yet to see a post on CC where someone stated their boarding time was enforced. We too usually arrive around 11:00 and am on board very quickly. We have gotten similar emails when sailing with Celebrity and Royal as well. It is an attempt to have some crowd control and I think its a great idea. New cruisers will just assume that if their email says to arrive at 2:00 then that is when they will.

Prior to our cruise, we got e-mail and phone call from Carnival not to come to the Long Beach Port until 2-3 pm check in time. That was a joke, by 1 pm I looked from Sun Desk, almost no one come in anymore.

I got to the port by 11:15 am, and was on the Lido deck by noon for lunch. But the stateroom was not completed until 2 pm. It was OK. :)

We were on the Breeze last week.

I have never seen so many people in the terminal at the same time. Seriously, it was a sea of people shoulder to shoulder when you looked down from the 2nd floor. We arrived around 11:30. We are Platinum so we got on quickly. Otherwise we would definitely wait to board later.

I am sure Carnival is trying to stagger the arrivals the best they can to make embarkation as pleasant as possible.

BUT.... Of course, everyone wants to get as much time as they can on the ship. So much excitement :-)

If these boarding times were anything more than a suggestion, then everyone would be sent one, but that does not happen. Others have stated sometimes they are contacted an other times, not.I was not contacted y Carnival by any means (email, phone call etc. ) prior to my last cruise with them.

At some point in time, Carnival should start enforcing the boarding times they give to embarkating passengers. It would make the whole embarkation process a lot smoother if everyone did not show up by 10AM expecting to board.

It is probably better to have no policy at all than to have a policy that is rarely enforced. Look at the group boarding processes for airlines. If adhered to, it's usually a painless way to get everyone into their seats. If not, it's just a cattle call.

Embarkation Hours:

Note: You must check in at least 1 ½ hours prior to departure or risk cancellation of your reservation.

Year Round Ports

Baltimore - 11/01/15 – 03/13/16

2:00 – 4:00 P.M.

Baltimore - All other voyages

1:30 – 3:30 P.M.

Charleston

12:30 – 3:00 P.M.

Galveston

12:30 – 3:00 P.M.

Jacksonville

1:00 – 3:00 P.M.

Los Angeles (Long Beach) Carnival Inspiration & Carnival Imagination