Jewel of the Seas Engine Trouble

It's now 11:19 PM and we are still in San Francisco. Forgive the violation of cross posting etiquette but there is nothing new beyond my earlier post in another thread. I'll put any further updates here.

From earlier: Capt. Thorolvsen informed us at 5p that one of the electric engine turbines would not start. At 6 he let us know that the engineers expected to have us under way at 9. At 9 the Captain let us know that the problem still hasn't been resolved, and had no further update on when the problem might be fixed.

Just wanted to start a new thread regarding this as I saw that she is still in San Francisco after reading your posting about the troubles in some other thread.

Seems to be a serious problem, sorry for all onboard :(

Thank you for posting. I happen to be in San Francisco this week and could see Jewel from my hotel room. I was surprised to come back just now and still see her docked, when I knew she was supposed to leave seven hours ago. I hope the issue gets fixed and you're on your way soon!

- Mike :-)

Just woke to see that we are moving. Not sure if we will make Victoria on time but happy to be off.

Back to bed for now!

Sweet Dreams

Hope all is well, thanks for the update

Funny how the news on TV is all about the NCL Dawn's engine trouble,but nothing on the Jewel........

I thought Dawn ran aground. Big difference between that and engine trouble at the pier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jewel current arrival time for Victoria on marine traffic is 18:00 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) or 11:00 PST on May 21st. That seems to be 1 hour prior to scheduled time if that holds.

I thought Dawn ran aground. Big difference between that and engine trouble at the pier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So true and perhaps they would not have been permitted to sail with one turbine inoperative since there would be no redundancy.

Jewel current arrival time for Victoria on marine traffic is 18:00 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) or 11:00 PST on May 21st. That seems to be 1 hour prior to scheduled time if that holds.

I think that is old information. If you create a track you will see that it gonna take 2-3 hours longer until they reach the entry of the bay, if they stay at 20 knots. Then they will have to sail at lower speed, maybe they will be there at 9-10pm.

However, it depends if they will stay at 20 knots. Maybe they can't sail faster because of the engine problems?

I think that is old information. If you create a track you will see that it gonna take 2-3 hours longer until they reach the entry of the bay, if they stay at 20 knots. Then they will have to sail at lower speed, maybe they will be there at 9-10pm.

However, it depends if they will stay at 20 knots. Maybe they can't sail faster because of the engine problems?

OK. I thought when you click on the moving ship and pull up the window there, that the time of arrival was the updated time reported to marine traffic.

Huge difference. Dawn lost power and then ran aground!

Jewel was just stuck at the pier...

Ok,thank you for your kind comment :rolleyes:

Edited by PH8

Current information on Jewel according to marine traffic dot com.

Underway using Engine

Speed/Course:

19.9kn / 319°

Destination:

VICTORIA

ETA:

2015-05-21 18:00 (UTC)

Received:

1 min ago

(AIS Source: 408 KE6WC)

Sea Distance calculator for departure from San Francisco to Victoria BC

Distance 736 nautical miles

Vessel speed 20 knots

time 1 day 13 and hours

If Jewel left San Francisco at 2 AM this would have indicated an arrival of 3 PM at Victoria and not the current 11 AM on marine traffic at a constant of 20 knots.

The original schedule for Jewel allowed 1 day and 19 hours for the transit from SFO to Victoria, which would have been based on a 17 knots average speed.

Edited by MADflyer

Just as a late follow-up (I didn't have web access while in CA), we arrived in Victoria at 5PM (didn't get off until 6:30) and stayed until 11. No further mechanical issues, and we arrived in Vancouver right on time.