Any problems with 2 year old getting back on ship

tweetypie_67

Some ports look at photo IDs. Usually young kids aren't required to have picture ID. Could take a copy of their passport photo page, passport card or get a state ID for them. Our DD was 7 when we got her's.

Ship security will look at the photo on record. It pops up when the ship card is scanned.

Edited by SadieN

When you check in for your cruise, every member of your family will receive a cruise ID card (used as your room key, onboard credit card and ID for security purpose) -- even the toddler. When you exit the ship and when you return, ship security will scan the card for each person, no matter the age -- you typically don't need to show your government-issued photo ID.

You will just need a birth certificate or passport for the 2 year old to check in for your sailing, and generally won't need to show it again.

Some ports (like St Thomas) make adults show your ID to get back on board but they've never asked for ID for our dd. Most ports don't even have adults show ID. I think it's more surprising that airlines don't ask for any ID when flying domestically with a child. How do they know who that child is to us?

We have sailed when our little guy was 8 months 3 cruises again at 2 and just got off the crown a month ago. Just have your cruise card with you. One suggestion we do is take a photo copy of our passports with us when in port. Never been asked to see them before just extra precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BCCRUSINGCOUPLE

• 1 month later...

OK. So I understand that young children don't need a photo ID. If traveling with BC in lieu of PP, what is cutoff age for needing a Photo ID? RCCL website seems to say that Under 16 does not need ID? Does this match your experience? Is this also true for Island officials allowing you back on pier after day off ship?

OK. So I understand that young children don't need a photo ID. If traveling with BC in lieu of PP, what is cutoff age for needing a Photo ID? RCCL website seems to say that Under 16 does not need ID? Does this match your experience? Is this also true for Island officials allowing you back on pier after day off ship?

We cruised with our son when he was 16 and he was asked for a photo ID when boarding in St Thomas, just as we were. He was actually given a hard time by the guard at the gate since his picture ID was his paper driver's permit. I was going to leave him at the gate with my husband and go get his passport off the ship, but the guard let him pass.

If you are taking a child 16 or above, make sure they have a photo ID. It needs to be a government issued photo ID.

If they say photo ID- they mean photo ID. So if you are in Europe and are told in certain ports that you need a photo ID to get back on bring your child's passport. Having said that- I only remember one port in the world where I had to have my photo ID to get back on and it was Bermuda. They would not let my then 11 year old back onboard the ship. I had to leave him on the dock and go fetch it from our stateroom.

We were just on a cruise to Bermuda with our 20 month old son. A Bermudan government official was checking passports and cruise iDs prior to re-boarding the ship. We were there for 3 days and they were checking each and every time to reboard. Our son has a passport because we would never travel without one but she told me that he would only require it if I was reboarding with him without my husband since I still use my maiden name and our last names are different.

I think the point made above that every port or country has different rules is the best advice. It's always wise to travel with a passport when leaving the country but if for whatever reason there isn't one, please please do the research and contact either your travel agent, the cruise line or that countrys consulate to obtain the most current and accurate advice.

Why risk it? Pay the $115 for a passport plus passport card. Put your child's passport card in your wallet, right behind your drivers' license. Put your child's passport wherever you keep your passport.

Think of the trauma and the cost if your child for some reason cannot get back on the boat. Even having to leave my child alone in a foreign county for 15 minutes while I ran to my cabin to get her documents would pretty much give me a heart attack. If there were no documents to get and I had to just run up to the cabin to grab our stuff so we could figure out how to get home together from wherever we were? Too awful to think about.

Edited by anonmom