Tutti salad

I keep reading on the boards about how everyone loves the Tutti salad, served in the MDR at lunchtime. Can someone please enlighten me what is Tutti salad?

Regards to all.

A big salad bar in the MDR on sea days where they mix all your ingredients that you choose in a big bowl and then chop it up for you and put it on a plate.

Its called the tutti salad bar. I believe the Italian word tutti translate to "all" in English. its pretty good but in the end, its just a salad that has been mixed up and chopped.

IMG_2638.jpg

Edited by ryano

True that the style isn't much different from a chopped salad you might get elsewhere. However I like the choice of ingredients (shrimp and smoked salmon are my particular faves) and the fact they make it for you which means the general public hasn't had their grubby paws in there. :rolleyes:

They also offer tuna and prociutto and sometimes deli roast beef ...things you don't always see on a salad bar. Sometimes, I just get 6 or 8 (or more!) shrimp with cocktail sauce which they also have right there at the salad bar and forget the rest of the salad stuff!:D

I am a big fan of the Tutti salad. I don't know if it is the way they chop it, or being able to get exactly what you want on it, but I love it. Some times I have had to ask them to chop it but most often they do it automatically.

I go mostly for the prosciutto, mozzarella balls, olives, sweet peppers, feta cheese, etc. Also, on the ships that I've been on, they have/had some 5-6 hot plate station. You can also order anything from the lunch menu, if desired.

Tutti is an Italian word, it's when all the instruments of the orchestra play together.

I think it means "all" in any sense as when Lydia Bastianich says "Tutti a tavolo" (everyone (all) to the table) at the end of each of her cooking shows !!:)

From the OED:

tutti

[too-tee; Italian toot-tee] Music.

adjective

1. all; all the voices or instruments together.

2. intended for or performed by all (or most of) the voices or instruments together, as a passage or movement in concert music (opposed to solo).

noun, plural tuttis.

3. a tutti passage or movement.

4. the tonal product or effect of a tutti performance.