Reporting Semi-Live from NCL Gem 5-23-15

seadog67

Yep, to keep the animals (rats) from joining us onboard! LOL

Harriet

Does anyone know what purpose these serve when placed on the mooring lines ? (I do now and will give the answer later)

Edited by hpecorari

The fcc deal will start fleetwide june 7th and is still being tweeked. Every fcc get $125 back onboard credit. So the way the cruise consultant described it every two fcc gets one back-$500 deposit gets $250 back onboard, starting rest of fleet June 7th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check back later on the mojito menu I will check.

Did not see mention of a tasting yet either. I will ask as that is the concierge lounge as well.

We originally did the aqau excursion thru ships excursion now we go ourselves. Cabs are plentiful but the usually wait until they are full which usually does not take to long at $4pp going and coming.

Price is $135 pp adult. Ships cost is the same and includes transport so ship is cheaper. Day passes start being sold at 10 am i believe over at atlantis. we just find we can get over on our own earlier and see thing quicker then get in the water sooner than doing the excursion.

Also, we did the excursion a couple of times and the weather was very windy and cloudy and not good for getting in the water so we were stuck doing the excursion and wasted the money as we did not go in the water, where now if the weather is not ideal we just do not buy the pass or even stay on the ship.

So that is the one benefit to the day pass. Also keep in mind that I have heard the day passes sell out but that has not ever happened to us as we are usually there right at 10 to get them. But keep that in mind. With baha mar resort opening soon atlantis may start offering specials to keep customers i am hoping for future trips :)

Cabbing back is easy as well they have a pickup and drop off area by the older hotel tower. It us 10-15 mi.n ride back.

If this is your first time maybe do the ship excursion to get the lay of the land and next time do it independently.

Yes on the disney excursion we did the ships transfer but Royal did not offer tickets to the park only transport, so we had to purchase tickets at magic kingdom independently.

Ncl offers the transport and park passes

I would only do a ship excursion to disney or universal given the distance.

As for tendering at GSC if the weather is not bad and tendering is going ok, you get tickets for tender groups 1-2-3-and so on at the pool deck. Get an early ticket if you can once they announce where to get them. Usually we sometimes wait until later when everyone is tendered and go over without a ticket as many early birds are coming back and seats can be found on the beach if you don't mind going over about noon for the afternoon. Otherwise the old adage applies to tendering, the early bird gets the worm :)

Have fun whatever you end up doing! Check back for mojito info later.

Thank you SO MUCH! You are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I wish I could come to you with all of life's questions, haha.

Also regarding bookings in general, I understood the continued tweeking to mean the amounts of onboard credit that you receive for booking certain levels of cabin may be getting tweeked snd not directly related to fcc but any booking in general.

They are still running the promotion for pick one benefit for suites I believe as listed on the website.

The fcc deal will start fleetwide june 7th and is still being tweeked. Every fcc get $125 back onboard credit. So the way the cruise consultant described it every two fcc gets one back-$500 deposit gets $250 back onboard, starting rest of fleet June 7th.

Thanks, Seadog67 - that's good news to folks who plan to sail & prepared to book/make a deposit using the FCC.

So, that offer is not currently available on the GEM and will be - fleetwide, on/after June 7th. ... Any words about those extra promo on top of it: choice of one among the four - dining, beverage, paid DSC, etc. as those were specific to the GA/BA, since it is still being "tweaked."

BTW, those BTS tour pix are great - no tour of the Bridge. Last time we're on her, CC'ers who signed in at the Meet & Greet got a private invite from the Captain for an exclusive tour of the Bridge only, it was cool - it's just not the same watching in that viewing room instead.

Are those huge king sized beds still inside the Bliss Lounge, could never figured out the reasons for putting them there? Have you noticed anyone playing bowling (and, please check the price for the game, if you happened to stroll by) during "open" hours and/or anyone playing those slot machines inside the lounge, they are functional as I recall & never saw anyone at it :confused:

It's warm, humidity up a notch here in NY and thunderstorms/wind expected in the area, should be a nice early morning arrival on Saturday for you folks - no joy in repacking & disembarkation, until next time ... :cool:

send from my Google 5/7 MD via Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

Seadog67

Thanks for this great tour. I board Saturday, and am driving to NY tomorrow, but will follow your posts on my phone.

Andrew

Great knoxvruiser! Safe travels to ny and i'll high five you in passing [emoji3]

Are those huge king sized beds still inside the Bliss Lounge, could never figured out the reasons for putting them there? Have you noticed anyone playing bowling (and, please check the price for the game, if you happened to stroll by) during "open" hours and/or anyone playing those slot machines inside the lounge, they are functional as I recall & never saw anyone at it :confused:

I think seadog posted bowling info a few pages back...not sure..

Rat guards! They stop rats from getting on to the ship via the mooring lines.

Great "live" thread, BTW. We'll be on the Gem for the 6/13 cruise! We have an aft balcony on deck 11.

Bingo! Guess I am late to the party after all these years of wondering. Even tried googling it but did not know how to describe them so google looked at me funny [emoji3]

Your prize is a cruise on 6/13! [emoji3] jk have a great time Paul!

Thank you SO MUCH! You are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I wish I could come to you with all of life's questions, haha.

You are welcome! Have fun, the lazy river is a blast!

Thanks, Seadog67 - that's good news to folks who plan to sail & prepared to book/make a deposit using the FCC.

So, that offer is not currently available on the GEM and will be - fleetwide, on/after June 7th. ... Any words about those extra promo on top of it: choice of one among the four - dining, beverage, paid DSC, etc. as those were specific to the GA/BA, since it is still being "tweaked."

BTW, those BTS tour pix are great - no tour of the Bridge. Last time we're on her, CC'ers who signed in at the Meet & Greet got a private invite from the Captain for an exclusive tour of the Bridge only, it was cool - it's just not the same watching in that viewing room instead.

It's warm, humidity up a notch here in NY and thunderstorms/wind expected in the area, should be a nice early morning arrival on Saturday for you folks - no joy in repacking & disembarkation, until next time ... :cool:

Correct the offer begins 6/7 in the rest of fleet and is not on the gem yet.

According to what I understand the pick one and onboard credit amounts are being tweeked for the june 7th rollout as well, whether good or bad she would not elaborate.

They are also offering free wifi now as one perk, maybe I am late to that party but was not a perk when we booked this gem trip.

No bridge tour on this BST. I think on the paid one it is included but I have not seen that advertised yet so it may not be offered anymore?

Yeah I think one bed is still in bliss, i guess it is for snuggling while bouncing to the bass of the music lol? Yes people were just bowling and I think a game is 9.95

d3f2616de43aa45125fdb176c9d58b40.jpg

And when we gathered in there for the tour several people were playing the slots in there.

Ok, sounds good. Thanks for checking on it. My cruise begins the sixth so it will be valid while I am on-board.

Meeting in the Bliss Ultra Lounge

She looks sad... Maybe from holding her arms up for so many years [emoji3] lol

3da995ce87d95dd255e175f9fb0bb5f2.jpg

Thank you so much for including CC members on your cruise. Your commentary and photos are much appreciated. We have your same suite on the Jewel booked in January 2016 and will be on the Gem October 2016 in a regular balcony stateroom.

Have you been to the bridge viewing room and visited the little Mermaid Coka donated to the Gem? A current photo of the mermaid and her treasures would be great.

You did such good photos of the stateroom ... would love to see one of the small couch/bed area if possible. We're planning to share the stateroom with our grown daughter and keep going back and forth between the stern view which I prefer or one of the forward facing penthouses on deck 10 with the larger living area.

Glad you've been having such wonderful weather. Oh and congratulations on your big win :)

I have bern collecting these $5 chips from ncl for a bit now, ( they can be bought from the cage but I prefer hunting them in the wilds while playing), and so far have the gem, spirit and now Sky which I found today

e15333f20fc0538f699cfaa6d6dc9ee1.jpg

Thank you so much for including CC members on your cruise. Your commentary and photos are much appreciated. We have your same suite on the Jewel booked in January 2016 and will be on the Gem October 2016 in a regular balcony stateroom.

Have you been to the bridge viewing room and visited the little Mermaid Coka donated to the Gem? A current photo of the mermaid and her treasures would be great.

You did such good photos of the stateroom ... would love to see one of the small couch/bed area if possible. We're planning to share the stateroom with our grown daughter and keep going back and forth between the stern view which I prefer or one of the forward facing penthouses on deck 10 with the larger living area.

Glad you've been having such wonderful weather. Oh and congratulations on your big win :)

Haven't been to the viewing room yet, but will head there tomorrow, love that as well!

Here is a lived in shot if the couch/bed area

f3de6e00560df8fe3b70ac2a83ddfc30.jpg

7125c7753691abc62e3080cfa0e7b5fc.jpg

With the curtain drawn separating the areas

a42b909fa6b0e498c410124da4e4011a.jpg

Getting ready for dinner in a bit at La Cucina and the either the show/some gamble or music or all of the above [emoji3]

Used the fcc to have my ta book the breakaway to bermuda late august. Had resy on celebrity but canceling due to all the perks their giving for tge haven! Very excited to go back on BW!

Great job. As others have said, no such thing as too many pics. They're helping me refresh my memory of what the ship looks like.

Can't wait to see the Mojito Bar. Enjoy your last few days of the cruise

Edited by geegee1

Mmmmm...I can smell those pretzel rolls right now ;)

Great shots from the tour, seadog.

Looking forward to pix from the bridge viewing room and the Gem IT Mermaid.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise! We are all having a great time following.

Safe Sailing!

I just have to tell you again what a great time I'm having on your cruise. I hope you'll continue with your live reviews on your future cruises....you are amazing!

Thank you chrislynn glad you are enjoying! Thanks for following !

Great job. As others have said, no such thing as too many pics. They're helping me refresh my memory of what the ship looks like.

Can't wait to see the Mojito Bar. Enjoy your last few days of the cruise

Thanks Geegee! Here is the mojito bar menu :

6ef1e80066a0bbeb36cc3c5517fa6823.jpg

8c4fde69cc64c38e6d3c0c1dfeb66698.jpg

fe4ff3dc742c8731de4b6a1561354757.jpg

Edited by seadog67

Mmmmm...I can smell those pretzel rolls right now ;)

Great shots from the tour, seadog.

Looking forward to pix from the bridge viewing room and the Gem IT Mermaid.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise! We are all having a great time following.

Safe Sailing!

Thanks meatball! Thanks for following all week!

Magenta main dining menu for tonight:

e362e910a26a6834065f43e05a72b5d8.jpg

Pretzel Bread!!

b8bbf647c3007a01d08ebe1c804f8664.jpg

Apple cobbler bubbling away

dc73c34cc516b64718da101236b68c3d.jpg

Umm yeah nothing else needs saying.

0e2a34b59007a184e3bd09072dae79e5.jpg

I think I dripped chocolate on my shirt, better head to the laundry to get it cleaned. Some sights heading down I-95

Homer!

c0e446ce2e57cf4f76b8513615e52af8.jpg

Does anyone know what purpose these serve when placed on the mooring lines ? (I do now and will give the answer later)

ac6b08be5492c98e53c9810b9f6e489c.jpg

Need to get those scores up!

bcb0598b14abc9656747389e58162a9c.jpg

to prevent rats climbing onto the ships

to prevent rats climbing onto the ships

For years we contemplated that they may be devices to cut the lines quick in an emergency or to prevent tangling lol. When I saw them and asked what their purpose was during the tour and they told us my wife let out a gasp and said whattt! The guy said yes there are huge rats in ny, lol my wife is freaking out thinking there are rats onboard! [emoji3]

Never had a mojito:o Think I need to try one;)

Our upcoming cruise will only be 6 days-your review is making me wish for so much longer...;)

They are never long enough jaja :(

For years we contemplated that they may be devices to cut the lines quick in an emergency or to prevent tangling lol. When I saw them and asked what their purpose was during the tour and they told us my wife let out a gasp and said whattt! The guy said yes there are huge rats in ny, lol my wife is freaking out thinking there are rats onboard! [emoji3]

LOL---years ago... I remember them being smaller and more round...guess the rats got smarter and they had to improve them...:eek:

Edited by jaja