Rollator question, especially for KrazyKruizer

NMLady

Joe and I are still discussing rollator vs wheelchair/rollator, renting vs purchasing. The easier mobiliy of a rollator is a good argument for that. It's a good thing we have a lot more months to make our decision.

Many mini buses can't handle wheelchairs or scooters.

Joe and I are still discussing rollator vs wheelchair/rollator, renting vs purchasing. The easier mobiliy of a rollator is a good argument for that.
Check out this hybrid... http://www.airgomobility.com/Products-Rollators-Fusion-E.asp

Need to research the folded width and weight.

Basically wheelchairs with handbrakes can be used a rollator. When the user is tired of walked as a rollator, they can sit down and be pushed by someone else.

Some use rollator as wheelchairs, but I'm told the rollator can be damaged as the push forces can damage the rollator over time as it was not designed for that kind of stress.

Joe and I are still discussing rollator vs wheelchair/rollator, renting vs purchasing. The easier mobiliy of a rollator is a good argument for that. It's a good thing we have a lot more months to make our decision.

Consider the size of the wheels when making your decision. Does the wheelchair/rollator have all small wheels?

When pushing a rollator, it's fine that the wheels are small, as when the walker gets to a bump, it can be lifted and keep going. But when being pushed, it's much, much harder to get small wheels over a bump. This can even get dangerous when the wheelchair comes to a sudden halt, but the body keeps moving forward.

True wheelchairs have larger rear wheels, which go over bumps much more easily than the small wheels. A wheelchair can be turned around to take bumps backwards, which is safer.

Check out this hybrid... http://www.airgomobility.com/Products-Rollators-Fusion-E.asp

Need to research the folded width and weight.

Basically wheelchairs with handbrakes can be used a rollator. When the user is tired of walked as a rollator, they can sit down and be pushed by someone else.

Some use rollator as wheelchairs, but I'm told the rollator can be damaged as the push forces can damage the rollator over time as it was not designed for that kind of stress.

I have seen quite a people sit down on the Rollators and then have their partner push them. Didn't look safe to me.

I have never had my DH push me on my Rollator. I just take a rest break when I get tired.

Consider the size of the wheels when making your decision. Does the wheelchair/rollator have all small wheels?

When pushing a rollator, it's fine that the wheels are small, as when the walker gets to a bump, it can be lifted and keep going. But when being pushed, it's much, much harder to get small wheels over a bump. This can even get dangerous when the wheelchair comes to a sudden halt, but the body keeps moving forward.

True wheelchairs have larger rear wheels, which go over bumps much more easily than the small wheels. A wheelchair can be turned around to take bumps backwards, which is safer.

Thanks, Ruth, those are valuable points to consider.

I have seen quite a people sit down on the Rollators and then have their partner push them. Didn't look safe to me.

I have never had my DH push me on my Rollator. I just take a rest break when I get tired.

If we choose the rollator option it would be used strictly as a walker. If Joe wants the capability of also being pushed then we'd choose a rollator/wheelchair option where it can be changed from one to the other.

http://www.parentgiving.com/shop/excel-translator-1665/p/

Pro is I could push him when he tires.

Con is that it is much more cumbersome, even when folded, than a simple rollator.

My first rollator did not have hand brakes. After a cruise to Alaskan ports during which the rollator controlled my speed going down the gangway I bought one that did have hand brakes! Never had a problem on airplanes. It was always waiting for me as I got off the plane. Only problem I remember was the difficulty getting down ship corridors when cleaning carts were out.

It is a walker with wheels on it so that you don't have to keep picking it up, setting forward of you, putting it down and repeating the entire process. That was all that was available years ago when my mother had to use one. Then they came with 2 wheels and sliders on the back legs.

[

If anybody still has one of this type walker, you can cut an X in a tennis ball & put one on each of the non-wheeled legs --- then it slides.

If anybody still has one of this type walker, you can cut an X in a tennis ball & put one on each of the non-wheeled legs --- then it slides.

We wanted to do that for mother, but she did not want to ruin her carpets and our carpets.

The tennis balls do leave marks in the pile.

My first rollator did not have hand brakes. After a cruise to Alaskan ports during which the rollator controlled my speed going down the gangway I bought one that did have hand brakes! Never had a problem on airplanes. It was always waiting for me as I got off the plane. Only problem I remember was the difficulty getting down ship corridors when cleaning carts were out.

And when people put their trays out on the floor.

And when people leave their scooters in the hallways.

Thanks, Ruth, those are valuable points to consider.

If we choose the rollator option it would be used strictly as a walker. If Joe wants the capability of also being pushed then we'd choose a rollator/wheelchair option where it can be changed from one to the other.

http://www.parentgiving.com/shop/excel-translator-1665/p/

Pro is I could push him when he tires.

Con is that it is much more cumbersome, even when folded, than a simple rollator.

You are right on the "con" . It does look cumbersome. My DH has lost what little ability he had to figure out how to fold up things.

Some thoughts...

• rollators come in different widths. Wider ones are more comfortable but may be difficult to in narrow hallways or corridors.
  • I think a folding transport chair is more compact than a rollator.
  • is it steel or aluminum? I like lightweight models as it's easier getting in/out of a car. It's worth paying the premium.
  • I now see combo rollator/wheelchairs. This hybrid version may be more flexible as the rider can walk or get pushed when tired
  • my transport chair would not fit through the standard doorway of cruise ship cabins. Mom had to walk the 10 feet from the hallway into the room while I collapsed the transport chair to get it into the room. I expect similar issues as the transport chair is roughly the same width of a rollator.

When it became impossible for my DH to walk more than a very short distance, I got several of the folding transport chairs. One for the office and one for the house and they worked out very well for us. I could handle them with minimal effort and it kept him safe from falling.

The chair fit through all doorways including our cabin on the ship. We were in a Suite which has a somewhat wider entry and maybe that made a difference.

Edited by sail7seas

At one point in his declining health, my DH tried that and didn't find it useful for him. Everyone's use of various mobility devices is so personal that it can be great for one but not for someone else.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this.

We live in Mesa and have used several different shuttle services to Sky Harbor and it seemed that each was worse than the one before. Last time there was not even a step to help you enter a very high interior and instead of helping us after loading the luggage the driver told us we were taking to long.

I went to the Airport Shuttle Sky Harbor website online and I want to make sure this is the one you were referring to. We do not need a lift to enter the shuttle yet but do require some assistance. Do you order the exlusive non-stop van service?

Yes this is the one we use. I noticed the price has increased (what hasn't?). They have sedans also, but no lift available for that. We have used them the past 5 years in a row & had no problems at all. I think it aid $70.00 for the 1st passenger & next one is free. You are in Mesa, so there might be a difference in price but you can check that on line also.

Good luck.

Faith

Dad used a cane for his first couple of cruises. As time went on, he became more mobility challenged. It was a major hurdle for him to agree to getting a rollator to move around the ship. If you've never used one, I strongly urge you to do several "test drives" to determine which one works best for you. We found one that was shaped pretty much like a walker. Dad was able to handle that one well because he was inside the device, not walking behind it. The wheels could be changed to a larger size which made it more flexible for different terrains.

I saw a man on a cruise several years ago who used his rollator like a wheelchair. It was very unsafe for the other passengers because he would be rolling around the decks backwards as he propelled himself. It got to the point that everyone avoided being anywhere near him because he would "sit and roll" at unexpected times.

If you decide to go the transport chair route, again do a "test drive". I eventually did get Dad a transport chair just to make it easier for me to get him to his various doctor appointments. The seats on many of these are quite narrow. The wheels on many of these are quite small, too, which would make it quite difficult to maneuver on cobblestones.

Dad used a cane for his first couple of cruises. As time went on, he became more mobility challenged. It was a major hurdle for him to agree to getting a rollator to move around the ship. If you've never used one, I strongly urge you to do several "test drives" to determine which one works best for you. We found one that was shaped pretty much like a walker. Dad was able to handle that one well because he was inside the device, not walking behind it. The wheels could be changed to a larger size which made it more flexible for different terrains. .....

Next week we are going to visit a medical supply store that has a variety of rollators, transport chairs, wheelchairs etc so will look at several choices and definitely try some out. He needs one with wider seat that will support to 300 lbs. we are definitely thinking of basic rollator with seat since any kind of pushchair isn't really practical for me to push, especially on outings (Joe weighs 250lbs and I'm overweight myself so tire easily).

Also, we live in doublewide mobile home so not much open floor space. He probably wouldn't use a rollator at home so we're thinking of renting one for the cruise rather than buying one. At home he has a 4-wheel large back tires mobility scooter for getting around outside and we have a lift on the car for taking it to medical center parking lots to Dr appts.

Edited by NMLady