Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

I have only been to St Pete's as well but then now I feel Joe has taken us all through Moscow together.:D

We enjoyed Moscow , but prefer SPB .

Comparing the architecture, I prefer St Petersburg!

Probably because I have been to St Petersburg.

We felt the same before thing before visiting Moscow , ( and after ) . We feel that if coming from a cruise ship , even with 3 days , the time and money is better spent in SPB .

I've only been to StP too but like everyone I now feel I've visited Moscow.

I'm Loving my photo 'land holiday' too. :D

Pat and I are really glad that all of you could join us for this tour . And we still have more to see ! :) :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Basil%27s_Cathedral

IMG_0909_zpsgwrju10b.jpg

The statue in front of St. Basil's Cathedral is Minin and Pozharsky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_Minin_and_Pozharsky

IMG_0907_zpswb598kov.jpg

Let's go inside shall we ?

P1050388-001_zps568ac261.jpg

IMG_8498-002_zps15b2650d.jpg

93dbf728-54f8-4abf-9016-f73ce5b25141_zpsrieuzfry.jpg

Most photos of Red Square show St. Basil's from across the square . This one shows the view from St. Basil's across the square with the points of interest labeled .

IMG_8492-004_zpscaa17554.jpg

An umbrella is visible in the upper left hand corner of this photo .

IMG_8480-001_zpse2cc25bc.jpg

Four views of St. Basil's as we circled the cathedral .

The front view , closeup:

IMG_0955_zpslbzarhpe.jpg

Right side facing GUM

IMG_0920_zpsijicbclu.jpg

Rear view with the Kremlin on the left

IMG_0927_zps2wpmtpcz.jpg

Facing the Savior's Gate of the Kremlin . The cathedral is on the left , out of the frame .

IMG_0953_zpss9hyddke.jpg

Behind the cathedral ( and before 2 surgeries ) .

IMG_0947-001_zpssbwko1hy.jpg

Next : A visit to the mall .

Got to keep the equipment dry. ;)

Hope Pat is mending well.

Amen on the dry equipment , it keeps our photos nice ! I'll try to post photos later as I'm headed out to see Pat on day 16 of her hospitalization . The Doctors had to open half of her incision from an infection and leave it open for twice daily cleaning . A new pain medicine gave her nausea and vomiting , so were are trying to find the proper balance . Hopefully , we will be able to post some photos of GUM later today . ;)

Before entering GUM , I photographed the Moscow State University building in the distance .

IMG_091720-20Copy_zps9tenewiq.jpg

At about 700' tall ,it was the tallest building in Europe for almost 60 years .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUM_(department_store)

GUM was 120 years old when this photo was taken

IMG_8458-001_zps16a36a09.jpg

It was decorated for Spring when we were there in May .

DSC03295_zpsunemlylr.jpg

And the doves of peace were prominent in the decorations

IMG_0958_zpskhgjupuy.jpg

We loved the Centrum

DSC03300_zps0nr8xgkf.jpg

And with 3 stories of shopping , all cruise ships would love to have this space .

DSC03301_zpsdpzw6mxn.jpg

You can see Pat's backpack which aroused the Armory's guard's suspicion .

Amen on the dry equipment , it keeps our photos nice ! I'll try to post photos later as I'm headed out to see Pat on day 16 of her hospitalization . The Doctors had to open half of her incision from an infection and leave it open for twice daily cleaning . A new pain medicine gave her nausea and vomiting , so were are trying to find the proper balance . Hopefully , we will be able to post some photos of GUM later today . ;)

Thanks,

Poor Pat is having a long stay in hospital, Wish her well from Rosie and I.:D

DSC03289_zpsnt3maqwe.jpg

This is the line to enter the Armory . At the top are several guards and metal detectors . Pat was first with our guide Alina between us and we chatted while we waited . As the stern looking guard began to question her in English , I could just barely hear him and her answers .

Guard : Pull out your gun

Pat : I don't have a gun

G : Then pull out your knife

P: I don't have a knife

G : Then what do you have ?

P : 2 Computers , a laptop and a ipad

G : Is that what you use to set the bomb off ?

P : No bombs

G : Why go you have computers ?

P : My husband puts photos on them

G : Open your backpack . No guns , no knifes , no bombs ?

Pat : If you went to the US , would you take a gun , a knife , or a bomb ?

G : NO !

p: Well then , why would I ?

G : You may enter .

Then came my turn . Open your bag . Nothing but cameras ? No photos ! You may enter .

That conversation would have totally freaked me out! :eek:

I haven't been here for a while, actually far longer than I realized. Seems like I have missed far more than your wonderful pictures and the stories behind them. Your review is totally over the top impresssive. I feel like I am taking a course in Russian art, architecture, and hisory all rolled into one.

I am so sorry to hear of Pat's health problems and extended hospitalization. I am sure this hasn't helped much with her knee rehab, either. I hope she is on the mend and able to go home soon. I will say a prayer for both of you even though I know you are both amazing, strong people and you will get through this.

Thanks,

Poor Pat is having a long stay in hospital, Wish her well from Rosie and I.:D

Thanks Mic and Rosie , we hope that she may come home this week .

The GUM reminds me of the QVB (Queen Victoria Building) in Sydney, similar design and vintage.:D

I looked it up , it sure does ! We still hope to visit Sydney one day and see it in person . :) :D

That conversation would have totally freaked me out! :eek:

I haven't been here for a while, actually far longer than I realized. Seems like I have missed far more than your wonderful pictures and the stories behind them. Your review is totally over the top impresssive. I feel like I am taking a course in Russian art, architecture, and hisory all rolled into one.

I am so sorry to hear of Pat's health problems and extended hospitalization. I am sure this hasn't helped much with her knee rehab, either. I hope she is on the mend and able to go home soon. I will say a prayer for both of you even though I know you are both amazing, strong people and you will get through this.

Thank you you Nancy , and welcome back - we missed you ! We hope that you and your rehab has been going well . ;)

GUM is great photo op for newlyweds and it produced one of my favorite photos - a game of bridal tug of war .

IMG_8468-001_zps1d14592a.jpg

And they also sell a tongue in cheek cake called a Mother in Law cake . It features faux poisonous mushrooms on top .

P1050369-001_zps84e85016.jpg

After leaving GUM , we heard English being spoken from a couple of young people wearing a Michigan State hat . That's where Pat's sister went to school , so we had a quick chat while walking to our next location , Nokolskaya Ulitsa .

http://www.moscow.info/streets/nikolskaya-ulitsa.aspx

IMG_0969_zpswobhflec.jpg

This is the Synod Printing House which printed the first book in Russia - The Acts of the Apostles in 1564 .

DSC03305_zpsjanwt5bt.jpg

The Lion , the unicorn and the hammer and the sickle .

DSC03312_zpstcoieixv.jpg

A little further along , we spied a couple of buskers . Our guide said that she thought they were " creepy " . What do you think ?

DSC03313_zpsrpzuyutl.jpg

Thank you you Nancy , and welcome back - we missed you ! We hope that you and your rehab has been going well . ;)

Rehab on my hip has gone quite well, thank you for asking. I even managed to get a couple of scuba dives in on our last trip! :cool: I see my DR again on Thursday to get a plan in place for my badly needed knee replacements. I am not looking forward to that process, but if the outcome is as good as my hip replacements have been it will definitely be worth it.

I hope to hear that Pat is recovering well and will be coming home soon.

Rehab on my hip has gone quite well, thank you for asking. I even managed to get a couple of scuba dives in on our last trip! :cool: I see my DR again on Thursday to get a plan in place for my badly needed knee replacements. I am not looking forward to that process, but if the outcome is as good as my hip replacements have been it will definitely be worth it.

I hope to hear that Pat is recovering well and will be coming home soon.

That's good news Nancy , and we hope that you had good dives ! It's nice to know that your replacement (s) will result in a better quality of life . We also have some great news , after 19 days in the hospital Pat came home last night !! . :) :)

DSC04305_zps9vcnph2l.jpg

We will try to post more photos of Moscow today but , we have a little homework right now . ;)

Continuing our walk along Nikolskaya Ulitia we had a another UFO sighting

DSC03316_zps2qqabv7d.jpg

Our next sighting was much more sobering the infamous Lubyanka Prison .

DSC03317_zpsxzxjmzc1.jpg

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Lubyanka.aspx

Home to torture , interrogations and murders , it was joked in the USSR that " it was the tallest building in Moscow , because you could see Siberia from the basement " ( where the tortures took place ) . Also home to the KGB , it used to have a large statute of it's founder iron Felix Dzerzhinsky in front of the building .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Dzerzhinsky

IMG_3994.jpg

The previous photo was taken in St. Petersburg , but the original statue in Moscow was torn down by a crowd in Moscow , during the break up of the USSR . It now has a more humble place - the Fallen Monument Park , where children sit on it .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallen_Monument_Park

news0077_zpskpwahj0i.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

That's good news Nancy , and we hope that you had good dives ! It's nice to know that your replacement (s) will result in a better quality of life . We also have some great news , after 19 days in the hospital Pat came home last night !! . :) :)

DSC04305_zps9vcnph2l.jpg

We will try to post more photos of Moscow today but , we have a little homework right now . ;)

Woohoo, that is good news.:D

Our next sighting was much more sobering the infamous Lubyanka Prison .

DSC03317_zpsxzxjmzc1.jpg

Home to torture , interrogations and murders , it was joked in the USSR that " it was the tallest building in Moscow , because you could see Siberia from the basement " ( where the tortures took place ) . Also home to the KGB , it used to have a large statute of it's founder iron Felix Dzerzhinsky in front of the building .

The previous photo was taken in St. Petersburg , but the original statue in Moscow was torn down by a crowd in Moscow , during the break up of the USSR . It now has a more humble place - the Fallen Monument Park , where children sit on it .

You can almost feel the sadness from that prison.

Edited by MicCanberra