Anyone Missed the Ship Due to a Private Tour Company?

ChucktownSteve

Not sure it really matters WHY Klfhnger was left behind - I think his story does a great job of illustrating the consequences of it happening. Stuff goes wrong - maybe rarely but it does eventually go wrong. Just because no one has responded here that it happened to them on a private tour, in no way provides a guarantee that it won't. One needs to consider the consequences and make a conscious decision whether to roll the dice - it would appear the odds are awfully good but, eventually the wrong number will come up.

I am sure it has happened. There are so many private tours that the odds are that it has happened. The point illustrated is that it is a rare occurrence. I don't think we are rolling the dice by taking a private tour. Bad things have happened on cruise line excursions, accidents, bus wrecks, robberies, shootings, (those passengers at the museum in Tunis took cruise line excursions). You would have to say that leaving the ship at all at a port is rolling the dice. Going on a cruise would be rolling the dice.

It is not wrong to have some fear, but the cruise lines often take advantage of that fear to charge excursion prices out of line with what they are delivering.

Its never happened to me, and I always take private tours, but it did happen to a good friend of mine and her mom. Can't remember if she was on RC or Princess (not Celebrity), but a couple of years ago, she was on a cruise in Asia, and had booked a very reputable and highly rated private tour guide in one of the ports. Because the city was several hours from the port, they left plenty of time to return to the ship, but due to some unexpected road closures, they missed the ship by just a few minutes. Her guide made some frantic phone calls and the ship actually turned around and picked them up. Once on board, embarrassed but very relieved, she found out the ship made an exception in her case because of her 90 year old mother!

Do I still take private excursions -- you bet :)

I am sure it has happened. There are so many private tours that the odds are that it has happened. The point illustrated is that it is a rare occurrence. I don't think we are rolling the dice by taking a private tour. Bad things have happened on cruise line excursions, accidents, bus wrecks, robberies, shootings, (those passengers at the museum in Tunis took cruise line excursions). You would have to say that leaving the ship at all at a port is rolling the dice. Going on a cruise would be rolling the dice.

It is not wrong to have some fear, but the cruise lines often take advantage of that fear to charge excursion prices out of line with what they are delivering.

It is indeed a rare occurrence - but it absolutely IS an occurrence, hence you are in fact rolling the dice. It may be a many sided dice which as I said is weighted very much in your favor - but the wrong number will, eventually, come up. And you are absolutely correct - leaving the ship or even in fact taking a cruise is not without some degree of risk. We all decide which risks are worth taking - and many decide not to take the risk of taking a private tour while others are perfectly comfortable with that risk.

The very simple fact is, there is less risk with a ship's tour - to some, that reduced risk and the peace of mind it provides is worth the extra cost. The cruise lines are in the business to make a profit for their shareholders - good for them if they can do so by providing an "insured" service.

Literally nobody on this entire board full of avid cruisers has apparently ever posted about being left behind while on a private tour, since nobody has been able to provide a link to a post where that happened. Those are pretty good odds, in my book.

The guy who was left behind was wandering around by himself and so is irrelevant to the question asked by the OP in this thread.

The very simple fact is, there is less risk with a ship's tour - to some, that reduced risk and the peace of mind it provides is worth the extra cost. The cruise lines are in the business to make a profit for their shareholders - good for them if they can do so by providing an "insured" service.

I don't think it is good that they increase profits by spreading fears which exaggerate the likelyhood of being left behind. I guess we might have different values than you.

In any case I will take my private tours with small groups with enhanced experiences, or DIY, while and those who are deceived by the cruise line with unwarrented fears of being left behind take the meh, more expensive, cruiseline tours. It is not peace of mind they are getting, it is sleep of mind.

Edited by Charles4515

I don't think it is good that they increase profits by spreading fears which exaggerate the likelyhood of being left behind. I guess we might have different values than you.

In any case I will take my private tours with small groups with enhanced experiences, or DIY, while and those who are deceived by the cruise line with unwarrented fears of being left behind take the meh, more expensive, cruiseline tours. It is not peace of mind they are getting, it is sleep of mind.

I've not seen any examples of them spreading fears - just seen them state the facts. And besides, like you say, there's nothing to fear anyway right?

I've not seen any examples of them spreading fears - just seen them state the facts. And besides, like you say, there's nothing to fear anyway right?

I beg to differ. I think there is a lot of fear mongering onboard engendered by the desire to pad profits. I think it's amoral and detestable.

The price you pay for a feeling of security is taking an excursion that moves at the pace of the slowest person on which you have zero ability to make any changes whatsoever to the itinerary. We haven't taken a ship excursion in years and have had wonderful adventures and experiences in a variety of ports around the world. Never got close to missing the ship.

I have often heard them in their sales pitch for cruise line excursions make prominent mention that they will hold the ship for cruise line excursions and imply it is unsafe to take private tours. So yes they spread fears.

It is also not a fact that they always hold the ship for cruise line excursions.

Edited by Charles4515

I beg to differ. I think there is a lot of fear mongering onboard engendered by the desire to pad profits. I think it's amoral and detestable.

No need to beg for anything - just go ahead and differ. What I said was, I've not seen it - maybe you have. Or, maybe you interpreted their statement of the facts as such.

Edited by wpgcycler
spelling

No need to beg for anything - just go ahead and differ. What I said was, I've not seen it - maybe you have. Or, maybe you interpreted their statement of the facts as such.

I think telling the entire ship via special announcement from the Captain that there is going to be a train strike in Rome and everyone should book "Rome on Your Own" for the next day, when in fact there was a two hour bus strike in the middle of the day, is pretty blatant fear-mongering AND attempting to twist/spin/skew the facts for their profit.

Also many many examples of outright stating that one should book a ship excursion because the ship will wait if necessary.

I just remembered that several years ago, I heard about some cruise passengers on a private excursion who didn't make it back to the ship because they died during the excursion. I don't know if that counts as being left behind.

http://njjewishnews.com/njjn.com/033006/njWavesOfGrief.html

I remember at the time when I first read about this, the newspaper article gave the impression that they died during a Celebrity ship's shore excursion. Eventually, it came out that not only was the tour company unlicensed, but the driver did not have a valid driver's license.

I think telling the entire ship via special announcement from the Captain that there is going to be a train strike in Rome and everyone should book "Rome on Your Own" for the next day, when in fact there was a two hour bus strike in the middle of the day, is pretty blatant fear-mongering AND attempting to twist/spin/skew the facts for their profit.

Also many many examples of outright stating that one should book a ship excursion because the ship will wait if necessary.

Strikes happen - frequently and unpredictably in Europe. And having the ship either wait (and I've read several posts saying this did in fact happen) or having Celebrity cover the cost of catch-up (not to mention proactively provide the assistance to do so) in the event of the unpredictable is a pretty good offer IMHO. You don't like the offer? Don't pay, take your chances - sounds like you believe the odds are in your favor and you're quite right.

I know people who don't buy house or life insurance - if they can cover the necessary costs of something unlikely to happen anyway, why should they? I also know people who could not even slightly cover the costs of the unexpected and for them, insurance is a pretty good deal. We all have different requirements and abilities and we buy accordingly.

Not sure it really matters WHY Klfhnger was left behind - I think his story does a great job of illustrating the consequences of it happening. Stuff goes wrong - maybe rarely but it does eventually go wrong. Just because no one has responded here that it happened to them on a private tour, in no way provides a guarantee that it won't. One needs to consider the consequences and make a conscious decision whether to roll the dice - it would appear the odds are awfully good but, eventually the wrong number will come up.

I think when you look at the number of members on here and the sheer number of cruises they have taken. Then add in the fact experienced travellers tend to be more independent yet there has not been a single incident of someone missing the ship you have your answer regarding the risk. The risk of getting knocked down by a car or robbed is bigger.

I see a lot of posts in this thread, including me, from people who took private tours and didn't miss the ship and are stating that it doesn't happen, but I know it does. I'll post the question a different way: Has anyone been late to the ship (at least 15 min or so past the sailing time) and had the ship wait for them?

We have been to Santorini in 2013, during the day they had a power outage and therefor the cable car didn't work. So everbody had to take the donkey trail down and lots of people were late - including the celebrity tours which also waited for the power to come back to use the cable car.

I think the ship left 45 min later because so many guests were missing. I don't know if the ship would have left if all the guests would have been on private tours and I don't know if we left anyone behind.

Edited by UniPac

In Monte Carlo we were late back once, but thankfully we had opted for a cruise ship excursion and the guide was in constant touch with the ship letting them know where we were. We were on the last tender back to the ship and the ship left pretty soon after we'd got on board. We heard the next day that the ship had left a crew member behind though ....

This year a couple told us that the previous year they had decided to take a taxi to Rome from Civitavecchia. Unfortunately, on the way back there was an accident on the motorway and it was grid lock. Thankfully, the ship waited because of many ship's excursions that were in the same traffic jam.

For long distances we tend to have peace of mind and stick with the ship's excursions. Otherwise we tend to go on our own. We're always back in plenty if time though.

Any major problem is going to impact the cruise line excursions just as much as the private excursions. Last year in St. Petersburg we were late leaving. There was an accident that had blocked the only road into the port. Everyone (Celebrity excursions, private excursions, and the pilot) was delayed!

Edited by Cindy

Has anyone been late to the ship (at least 15 min or so past the sailing time) and had the ship wait for them?

Yes, but it was not recently. About 6 years ago, I was late getting back to the ship by 55 minutes and the ship waited. However in full disclosure, we were a group of 6 who had arranged a private tour. We ran into a major accident on the return to the ship and were basically parked on the highway for several hours. We were starting to panic but we knew that there were several ship tour buses behind us (it ended up being five I think), and they were also caught in the same traffice jam. There were also a lot of little mini van and tour buses that I believe were other private tours.

It is one thing for a ship to leave 6 passengers who had gone off on their own, but a totally different situation when you are dealing with a couple of hundred passengers so the ship waited.

On a cruise last year, two of our party lost track of time and had to do the 1500 yard dash to the gang plank. I believe they, and the couple arriving behind them, were approximately 20 minutes late by the time they set foot on the gang plank but I cannot be sure of the time. I do recall the ship was basically ready to sail and cruise staff had pretty much completed departure preparations and were ready to raise the gang plank when the runners appeared at the entry to the pier. They actually arrived within sight of the ship just at the deadline but the location of the ship meant they had a bit of a distance to cover to actually get to the ship. The couple behind our friends tried to run but were quickly out of breath so they ended up walking to the ship, hence the time from their appearance at the gate, to their arrival at the gang plank, was definately after the sailing time.

In my opinion I believe your bias against ship's excursions is unwarranted. We always consider all options including private excursion, ship's excursions, and touring on our own. Sometimes we find the ship's excursion the best option and sometimes not as it depends on many factors. Sometimes the ship's excursions are a lower cost than private excursions alternatives that include the same features. As a result we've been on some fantastic ship's tours as well as some fantastic private excursions. Conversely we've unfortunately had bad experiences on both private and ship's excursions but fortunately these have been few and far between.

I will say there are times we have opted for ship's excursions to eliminate fear of missing the ship although that is rarely our primary consideration. We've also taken ship's tours to maximize out time in port. A casual read of the posts above indicate that many of those who take private excursions, or tour on their own via train/taxi, plan on returning to the ship a couple hours before the sailing time but some ship's tours, including the "on your own" tours in some ports allow more time in port.

I've heard lots of people say that they take the ship's excursions because if anything happens to cause a delay, the cruise line will hold the ship. I understand that.

However, I'm wondering if anyone on a private tour has ACTUALLY been returned to the port after your ship has left? I'm not looking for a hypothetical but actual experience of it happening.

Would you mind sharing the details and how did you meet up with the ship later?

Thank you.

Only did 3 cruise but all of them packed with private tours, never missed the ship. We were always minimum 45 minutes for last boarding time back on the ship. So nothing to worry about!

Two comments;

Power in numbers: more people in your private tour unlikely ship will leave you behind

Know your destination: try to avoid private tours in large/congested cities. Istanbul is good example. We were on a ship's all day tour and because the afternoon traffic was so bad, we arrived at the ship 90 minutes past departure time.

In my opinion I believe your bias against ship's excursions is unwarranted. We always consider all options including private excursion, ship's excursions, and touring on our own. Sometimes we find the ship's excursion the best option and sometimes not as it depends on many factors. Sometimes the ship's excursions are a lower cost than private excursions alternatives that include the same features. As a result we've been on some fantastic ship's tours as well as some fantastic private excursions. Conversely we've unfortunately had bad experiences on both private and ship's excursions but fortunately these have been few and far between.

I will say there are times we have opted for ship's excursions to eliminate fear of missing the ship although that is rarely our primary consideration. We've also taken ship's tours to maximize out time in port. A casual read of the posts above indicate that many of those who take private excursions, or tour on their own via train/taxi, plan on returning to the ship a couple hours before the sailing time but some ship's tours, including the "on your own" tours in some ports allow more time in port.

I don't think it is unwarranted in general. I have had a lot of experiences. But I do agree with you that sometimes the ship excursion is the best option. I am not saying don't do ship excursions. I research all the options at a port, ship, private, DIY. I have in the past picked a ship excursion and will in the future do a ship excursion if it looks like the best option. I pick it compared to other options, not out of fear or that it is some kind of insurance.

I've heard lots of people say that they take the ship's excursions because if anything happens to cause a delay, the cruise line will hold the ship. I understand that.

However, I'm wondering if anyone on a private tour has ACTUALLY been returned to the port after your ship has left? I'm not looking for a hypothetical but actual experience of it happening.

Would you mind sharing the details and how did you meet up with the ship later?

Thank you.

Not on a private tour BUT several years ago, my wife, young daughter and I were off the Zenith in Cozumel. I had an accident at the beach when a wave caught me as I was holding onto a boat ladder with one hand. I got spun around and the shoulder got pulled out of the socket!

I was taken to the ER, the ship's agent was called by the hospital and he came to the hospital, he called the ship and then drove us to the ship's tender and got us aboard. The sailing was held for about a half hour - just for me!

Great service - and good Mexican painkillers, too!!

Just a couple weeks ago, in Bermuda, we were supposed to be on the ship by 4 pm...we figured we'd catch the bus back from the lighthouse-this was about 1:45-2pm. Enough time, right? Waiting at the bus stop...bus flies by, completely full. We look at the schedule, decide that it will be about another hour before the bus comes back, and who wants to chance that we can get on that one? Or that it's on time? We ended up spending $50 on a taxi, but we were there at the port by 3 pm. A lot of factors can come into play!

My first cruise on the Carnival Destiny, it was announced that we left 6 people behind in Nassau.

Now...I'm always early.

I think when you look at the number of members on here and the sheer number of cruises they have taken. Then add in the fact experienced travellers tend to be more independent yet there has not been a single incident of someone missing the ship you have your answer regarding the risk. The risk of getting knocked down by a car or robbed is bigger.

You are making a broad assumption on a very small sampling of total cruisers. Until we have heard from EVERY person who has ever cruised, it is impossible to asses the actual risk. I have read many comments on these boards about people being left behind, some with video to back them up. On our last cruise in Asia it was reported that seven people were left behind at the various ports during the duration of the cruise. I did not hear of the same amount of fellow cruisers "getting knocked down by a car or robbed". This alone tells me that the risk of being left behind is very real, and valid enough to take into consideration every time I get off the ship.

It is so much better to be smart about this than to take a cavalier attitude based on what has - or has not - been reported on this one thread.

Edited by SantaFeFan