Should Princess Insurance Cover This?

dickinson

I bought the Platinum Vacation Insurance Protection from Princess. I also pre purchased a HOHO bus at one of our stops. Our ship was not able to get into port til 5:30 pm due to bad weather (winds were bad and from the wrong direction for our large ship to dock). I tried emailing several times the HoHo company asking for a refund but no answer. Should this be covered under our insurance? I called and they put me on hold and came back rather quickly saying no it would not because it was due to weather. Not sure if this answer is correct. Usually when a ship does not make port it is because of weather!! Anyone have this experience?

Princess insurance only covers prepaid costs booked through Princess, so it will not cover your privately booked HOHO excursion. That limitation is one of the drawbacks of using Princess insurance; while the any-reason cancelation credit coverage and age non-discrimination are the pluses.

Many people purchase separate insurance for privately booked air and excursions, but even then the policies have specific coverage limitations. I don't think most policies would cover your loss. They do have missed connection and trip delay coverages, but I don't know if missing a port falls into either of those categories. I do seem to recall mention of a cruise specific third party policy that may have covered missed port events....perhaps someone will recall it.

Eta-I found the policy that covers missed ports, three by Nationwide at various coverage limits.

Edited by cherylandtk

I bought the Platinum Vacation Insurance Protection from Princess. I also pre purchased a HOHO bus at one of our stops. Our ship was not able to get into port til 5:30 pm due to bad weather (winds were bad and from the wrong direction for our large ship to dock). I tried emailing several times the HoHo company asking for a refund but no answer. Should this be covered under our insurance? I called and they put me on hold and came back rather quickly saying no it would not because it was due to weather. Not sure if this answer is correct. Usually when a ship does not make port it is because of weather!! Anyone have this experience?

Definitely not . If bought thru the cruise line yes. Private tours aren't covered. The cruise contract allow the cruise line to change or cancel port at there discretion with only port taxes refunded if port missed.