Ohio couple Claims to Have Been "Held Hostage" on RCL Cruise

I wonder if your leg wasn't being pulled a bit on this one.

RCL approved psychiatrist. ..........not allowed to see or be with his wife...............

Honestly I thought the post was unbelievable and I too believe the posters leg was being not only pulled but yanked!....K.O.:)

Something I just thought about, people are making guns on 3-D printers. Once they found the bullets they may have investigated the luggage to look for something a plastic gun.

Someone has Netflicks? Did your queue recently include, Diehard 2 or In the Line of Fire?

May I recommend Downton Abby.

I apologize if I offended you!

No problem. I may be a little sensitive, but If you haven't been to Cleveland lately, you might be surprised. Lots of great restaurants and fun things to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do find it interesting that they took to twitter, did a local radio show and a local tv show but NEVER posted about it here. Perhaps they knew they wouldn't get too much sympathy from people who actually KNOW about cruising and know you have to really do SOMETHING to get confined to quarters.

No problem. I may be a little sensitive, but If you haven't been to Cleveland lately, you might be surprised. Lots of great restaurants and fun things to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a pretty good NBA team.

I do find it interesting that they took to twitter, did a local radio show and a local tv show but NEVER posted about it here. Perhaps they knew they wouldn't get too much sympathy from people who actually KNOW about cruising and know you have to really do SOMETHING to get confined to quarters.

I agree...I also thought their choice of media outlet was a bit odd. All the early reports of this were published by an on-line publication called "Truth Voice." I thought that was strange, considering there are any number of mainstream news outlets that would GLADLY run a story about innocent victims being bullied and falsely imprisoned by a cruise line!:p

They did post to their roll call. That is how I first heard.

But I do agree w/ the lack of main forum post.

Being from the UK, the idea of someone boarding a cruise with a gun cartridge scares the hell out of me.

I know weapons are not as prevalent across the pond, and I think its one heck of an 'Oh *****' to not triple check your luggage, pre embarkation; however, in the end its just a piece of metal /plastic and its no more of a weapon than any hundreds of items on a cruise ship. Magazines, clips, mags, cartridges are not useful (dangerous) w/out a weapon or ammunition.

Edited by BOLTFISH

I know weapons are not as prevalent across the pond, and I think its one heck of an 'Oh *****' to not triple check your luggage, pre embarkation; however, in the end its just a piece of metal /plastic and its no more of a weapon than any hundreds of items on a cruise ship. Magazines, clips, mags, cartridges are not useful (dangerous) w/out a weapon or ammunition.

Yes and spoons make people fat.

What I don't understand is why RCI let them on the boat in the first place since it sounds like the comment was right after they finished explaining themselves to the Port Authority (I've read the linked material but I haven't watched or listened to anything so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

And am I the only one who thinks that RCI's (presumably the Captain's?) action was (in addition to whatever else we may be missing re the interaction between the parties) due to the combination of the gun magazine issue + the overboard comment + the ship cruising out of Port Liberty (which is what, less than 12 miles away and just across the harbor from what was the World Trade Center complex)? I'm not saying that the concern was that she (or he or they) would try to take anyone with them but we all know there are lots of crazy people out there who are all about trying to create that 15-minutes of fame and sometimes it's all about location, location, location.

That's the way it sounds to me, too. I'm thinking security was alerted to them prior to boarding because of the gun magazine and the reason the comment was overheard.

That's the way it sounds to me, too. I'm thinking security was alerted to them prior to boarding because of the gun magazine and the reason the comment was overheard.

I don't know if it was mentioned here already and I don't want to read through all the rabbit trails about which state is the best :D

I listened to the radio interview. The comment happened much later, after muster drill. The couple did not receive their luggage. When they finally located the bags past sailaway, they were in the naughty room. One bag had a power strip, which was confiscated, and the other had a diffuser for a hair dryer, which had been mistaken for an iron. This additional issue upset the couple even more. It was after this that the wife made the comment about going overboard and swimming with the dolphins.

People just don't think before they speak....

Now a days you must take people serious.

Being a nurse in a dementia unit we have residents that will state

I am going to go to the top floor and jump out the window..

however we only have one floor and YES we must take it serious and put somebody with them around the clock till they are safe..

This thread is interesting. I recently reconnected with my BFF from high school by email. I mentioned that we like to take cruises. She mentioned that she had been kicked off of a cruise ship.

Fast forward a few months, and she stopped by the house, and I asked her about it...

Her and her husband live in the UK and they had moved back here while she underwent treatment for a health condition. Their belongings were being shipped back and they thought that a transatlantic cruise would be a nice way to return home.

At some point in the cruise, she had a tiff with DH and then had a bit too much to drink at the pool bar, and then made a similarly inappropriate remark about someone going overboard.....She was interviewed by security, and she also was confined to their cabin.

They were disembarked in Barcelona, Spain with their luggage.

I asked what ship, and she said it was, something...Of The Seas. My friend wasn't really too upset, they had fun in Barcelona and they have family that have a house in Spain.

It was probably their, first, last and only cruise. :)

This thread is interesting. I recently reconnected with my BFF from high school by email. I mentioned that we like to take cruises. She mentioned that she had been kicked off of a cruise ship.

Fast forward a few months, and she stopped by the house, and I asked her about it...

Her and her husband live in the UK and they had moved back here while she underwent treatment for a health condition. Their belongings were being shipped back and they thought that a transatlantic cruise would be a nice way to return home.

At some point in the cruise, she had a tiff with DH and then had a bit too much to drink at the pool bar, and then made a similarly inappropriate remark about someone going overboard.....She was interviewed by security, and she also was confined to their cabin.

They were disembarked in Barcelona, Spain with their luggage.

I asked what ship, and she said it was, something...Of The Seas. My friend wasn't really too upset, they had fun in Barcelona and they have family that have a house in Spain.

It was probably their, first, last and only cruise. :)

It is plainly obvious to me that even if joking around, certain words or phrases shouldn't be used.

I am surprised that they even let them board. Seems it would have been easier for RC to keep them off the ship in the first place during embarkation. Just like an airport, there are words to avoid on a ship and overboard is one of them.

Edited by welldone60

I posted this by accident on the roll call.....meant to be here. I hope I don't get in trouble for double posting.:eek:

=============================

The story is already changing.

On Whio report they told reporters that she said "Maybe I could go overboard and a dolphin could take me back to shore."

(http://www.whio.com/news/news/local/...-cruise/nmMhk/)

At Truthvoice they said "this is going overboard".

(http://truthvoice.com/2015/05/breaki...verboard-joke/)

There has to be more to this story. There has to be.

Loaded magazine and overboard threats. What else did they say.

Thank you Royal Caribbean for think of the safety of all passengers.

I am surprised that they even let them board. Seems it would have been easier for RC to keep them off the ship in the first place during embarkation. Just like an airport, there are words to avoid on a ship and overboard is one of them.

they actually gave them a break by letting them board after finding the weapon magazine. and if they had been denied boarding at that point they might have had a legitimate beef since it was so easily made a non issue( tossing the magazine) just like my stepson was allowed to enter a Smithsonian Museum after disposing of his Gerber( oopsie) that was in his jacket pocket ( although I wished they had offred him the option to leave it behind and then pick it up after ward, they made him literally throw it out ; those puppies are pricey!)

AS LONG AS their ATTITUDES were proper. and as I said before I bet 90% of their problem was HOW THEY RESPONDED when confronted. cop a 'tude with the authorities and your life just got 1000% harder.

be respectful, stay calm and be willing to negotiate.

The Liberator

On May 3, high tech gunsmithing group Defense Distributed gave Forbes a first look at the world's first fully 3D-printed gun, what it called the "Liberator."

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mhl45ediih/the-liberator/

Interesting, I did not see that version, only the AR-15 lowers that they were printing. Looks like the the cruise ship security screeners might need to concentrate on single shot pistols instead of booze in a bottle of mouth wash.

Interesting, I did not see that version, only the AR-15 lowers that they were printing. Looks like the the cruise ship security screeners might need to concentrate on single shot pistols instead of booze in a bottle of mouth wash.

Or perhaps screening as well as bag searches.:(