Exchange the Pol Acker??

JF - retired RRT

On our recent Holland America cruise I was wondering if they would serve the dreaded P.A. as their free bubbly. To my surprise, they served a different French sparkling wine and it was quite good. (I wrote the name somewhere but I can't find it right now.)

I don't use my bottle but I've usually found somebody who mentioned it and I ask if they would like another bottle. Last year there were 4 women down the hall sharing an inside and I overheard them mention it and so my bottle was passed along to their delight.

First cruise on Cunard in January. Have been following the threads about Pol Acker, unfortunately even if it wasn't "drain cleaner", it wouldn't help...we don't drink.:p

Can we exchange it for something else? Or just pour it down the drain?

DO NOT POUR IT DOWN THE DRAIN. They are having enough problems with the plumbing on the ships as it is. Some say it is an excellent drain cleaner, but others fear it may rot the pipes.

That being said, I have never heard of anyone being able to exchange it for any thing of value alas. As others have said, it can be brought home, donated to others on the ship, or just left in the cabin. Personally we use the first bottle for unpacking juice, and then drink the other with orange juice for very acceptable morning mimosas. Have a great trip, and let us know what use you eventually find for it :).

Personally we use the first bottle for unpacking juice.

That's exactly what I do and I couldn't be more content as I'm doing it. :)

Next time I am planning on bringing a mini bottle of Chambord to flavor it....that was a great idea.

An apology maybe.

David.

I really don't get the stick which Pol Acker gets on these forums.

When we did our QM2 T/A back in September, opening that bottle was the first thing we did, before we'd even unpacked.

It brought our Jewellery up a treat.

LOL, both very amusing answers. Perhaps they want some sparkling water like a bottle of Pelligrino instead.:D

That's exactly what I do and I couldn't be more content as I'm doing it. :)

Next time I am planning on bringing a mini bottle of Chambord to flavor it....that was a great idea.

Or maybe a small bottle of creme de cassis? No wait...that would be a waste of the cassis!

Or maybe a small bottle of creme de cassis? No wait...that would be a waste of the cassis!

Well, the Chambord would give me a Kir Royale........if I were using medium priced French Champagne......which I'm not. :D I don't complain about the Pol Acker. It keeps me totally entertained while I'm unpacking and running out to the balcony, over and over, to see the Statue of Liberty. In that state of mind....a quality champagne would be wasted on me anyway. Why complain about something that is complimentary. Either drink it..or don't. :)

Well, the Chambord would give me a Kir Royale........if I were using medium priced French Champagne......which I'm not. :D I don't complain about the Pol Acker. It keeps me totally entertained while I'm unpacking and running out to the balcony, over and over, to see the Statue of Liberty. In that state of mind....a quality champagne would be wasted on me anyway. Why complain about something that is complimentary. Either drink it..or don't. :)

Exactly, except the OP wants something non alcoholic to replace it with, what that is anyone's guess.

Exactly, except the OP wants something non alcoholic to replace it with, what that is anyone's guess.

Hi Mic....I wasn't referring to the OP as complaining. By now I'm in my own little world planning on popping the cork on the next trip and making a mental note to not forget the Chambord. You know what it's like. :D

Hi Mic....I wasn't referring to the OP as complaining. By now I'm in my own little world planning on popping the cork on the next trip and making a mental note to not forget the Chambord. You know what it's like. :D

Yes, I like to sit back, have a drink and watch people work (unpack) and offer little suggestions as to what we can do later.;)