Princess Progressive Check In?

Could anyone with recent experience of embarking on a Princess ship from White Bay let me know how strict the check in staff are with regards to the progressive check in procedure?

This is the first time for us that this procedure has applied and I don't need to be sitting around at the terminal if we're not allowed to get on prior to our 2pm slot. Or is the time merely "a suggestion"?

Also as we have finally achieved elite status with Princess does this make any difference with regards to checking in? I vaguely remember something about preferred check whilst platinum but our last princess cruise was a sector of a world cruise, on a small ship, which had docked o/night and didn't leave till late and there wasn't a huge crowd of people joining in Sydney, so check in was a breeze.

December last year we turned up about 11:30am and were on board in plenty of time to have lunch in the MDR.

We had a short wait between checking in and when our boarding group was called but that was all.

I believe the times are just suggestions.

Could anyone with recent experience of embarking on a Princess ship from White Bay let me know how strict the check in staff are with regards to the progressive check in procedure?

This is the first time for us that this procedure has applied and I don't need to be sitting around at the terminal if we're not allowed to get on prior to our 2pm slot. Or is the time merely "a suggestion"?

Also as we have finally achieved elite status with Princess does this make any difference with regards to checking in? I vaguely remember something about preferred check whilst platinum but our last princess cruise was a sector of a world cruise, on a small ship, which had docked o/night and didn't leave till late and there wasn't a huge crowd of people joining in Sydney, so check in was a breeze.

If you are Elite pax, you get preferred boarding anyway, you are not stuck to a time slot. My experience with Princess as Elite pax is that one gets on pretty quickly, particularly in Australia, not as many Elite/Platinums boarding Princess ships as there are in the USA. Last year on Golden Princess, BA to LA, there were 800 Elite pax out of a pax complement of 2500, the free laundry was working overtime and the Elite lounge pre dinner was standing room only every night. Black cruise cards everywhere.

Edited by NSWP

When we boarded Dawn Princess at White Bay back in August last year it took us about 2 1/2 hours to get on board. It was a complete shambles, with lots of elderly stuck standing in long queues for lengthy periods.

The Elite/Platinum line was pretty long an not moving fast at all.

No idea what the issue was - maybe it was due to DP just having completed a world cruise and and there was a delay in getting people off.

But I would have thought the shore side operation would have been a bit better coordinated as it almost a daily operation for shore staff.

Many thanks to all who have replied.

Living in Sydney had decided that if boarding times were strictly enforced then we would leave home later. Now we have the option to leave early or late, depending on how organised we are with regards to getting ready etc.

Thanks for the heads up on elite boarding procedures, had looked at the princess web site but only could find info re tendering/disembarkation.

Been a few years since we were last on the Dawn Princess and am hoping that someone will post here on how she looks after her drydock. Had hoped the IC would have been put in, if they could find a spot, as from reading the USA boards sounds a great spot for light snacks etc. Oh well at least it will save me a few calories.