Pack a Lunch

SeaTrailer

This has come up before, taking food off ship to Port. The Dailies are oft mentioned as telling people it is taboo.

I keep all dailies, a few months ago I sifted through them from Carribean and Euro cruises, 49 days, all Celebrity. On all those dailies there was not one mention of not taking food ashore. I am not saying it is taboo, I am just saying that dailies do not address the issue despite what some people post.

I don't know where you are looking but I see these warnings on many of the dailies.

Edited by Ma Bell

This has come up before, taking food off ship to Port. The Dailies are oft mentioned as telling people it is taboo.

I keep all dailies, a few months ago I sifted through them from Carribean and Euro cruises, 49 days, all Celebrity. On all those dailies there was not one mention of not taking food ashore. I am not saying it is taboo, I am just saying that dailies do not address the issue despite what some people post.

My last three Celebrity cruises were South America, the Med, and Asia. All had notices in the dailies about not taking food off the ship. Same with our cruise to the Caribbean a dozen years ago on Disney.

Edited by SantaFeFan

My goodness the amount of arrogance about this is amazing... IT'S illegal and DON'T do IT!

Invasive pests into ecological systems are not good, period. How in the world anyone cannot fathom that astounds me.

Mass market ships are NOT locally sourced to each port they hit, the non-prepackaged foodstuff can be harmful. In some cases ALL food, regardless of packaging is illegal....

Many, many years ago (40 or more) when cruise ships were smaller, perhaps they did. But can you imagine a cruise ship with 2,000 or more passengers packing a lunch for people even if only half wanted one. What a logistical nightmare.

At five-star hotels, they might do that but for a price.

Someone told us once that the cruise line will pack you a lunch if you plan to go off the ship for most of the day. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

It's not just foreign ports you have to worry about carrying food stuff off the ship.

When we disembarked in Baltimore a few years ago, the sniffers alerted on my DW while I was retrieving our luggage. On board ship she carried a banana in her purse but didn't take it off the ship. The dog alerted on her purse from the scent of a previous banana. Once customs checked her purse she was free to go. Good thing they didn't strip search her. :-X

The nose knows! :eek:

Edited by ChucktownSteve

It's not just foreign ports you have to worry about carrying food stuff off the ship.

When we disembarked in Baltimore a few years ago, the sniffers alerted on my DW while I was retrieving our luggage. On board ship she carried a banana in her purse but didn't take it off the ship. The dog alerted on her purse from the scent of a previous banana. Once customs checked her purse she was free to go. Good thing they didn't strip search her. :-X

The nose knows! :eek:

Same would happen when going ashore in California on a west coast cruise. California is a state heavily dependent on agriculture and is very aggressive on protecting that infrastructure. They even monitor major highway entry points into the state for this very reason.

Anyone who takes a lackadaisical attitude towards protecting a country's or region's agricultural industry is not worthy of being allowed to visit that area. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

This has been fun! I ain't got to blow up no ones skirt in quite awhile!

Ok, we don't really do it, just like we are nose to the tablet and have never carried on a rum runner like some who nailed my carcus to the CC wall.

Follow all the 'rules' or show, never mind.:rolleyes:

Ok, we don't really do it, just like we are nose to the tablet and have never carried on a rum runner like some who nailed my carcus to the CC wall.

And if you think I jest about doing so, I have yet to see 'spam' offered on any cruise we have taken. :D

So, you are admitting that you are a troll? The things that some people take pride in absolutely amazes me! :rolleyes:

So, you are admitting that you are a troll? The things that some people take pride in absolutely amazes me! :rolleyes:

Naw, that would take a larger can of spam, and ego. We are simple folks who work hard and enjoy our time at sea on a cruise.

EW

I know that many people need to eat something due to medical conditions. We always carry some granola bars or energy bars that don't have chocolate coatings in case that the weather is hot. We have never had a problem.

Most times we end up dining at a local establishment to get a flavor of the country and that is part of the enjoyment of traveling but sometimes you just need something until you find that place or don't have a good feeling about the local establishments.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We are planning on purchasing a few rum cakes in Bermuda to take back with us on the ship--Is that ok? Has anyone had a problem with that? I never thought about it until reading all the above statements.

Now I always pack with me in my suitcase upon boarding, little bags of trader joe's nuts, some granola bars, and things of that nature--That stuff has never been confiscated upon boarding a ship. If I have any left over I just leave in suitcase---(I'm diabetic so am always prepared with that stuff) The rum cakes aren't for me, LOL as I can't eat "the good stuff"--