Price reduction. Princess not responsive?

The price for our balcony on a cruise from San Francisco was $5999 when we paid in full in mid Apr. It is now $4999. Our travel agent insists nothing can be done because we are past the payment in full date. I have asked her to argue with Princess on our behalf - so far nothing. This sucks!!! Any suggestions on what we can do to get a reduction.

The odds of getting a reduced price, or even any OBC, are basically zero. :(

You don't get a "rebate" if the price of a car, home, or any other item drops after you buy it. You booked and agreed to pay the price in effect at that time. It's a legal and binding contract.

Depending on the cruise line, and/or your country of residence, you are sometimes able to upgrade to a nicer cabin that has also come down in price. (Celebrity does this for (at least) US customers on a regular basis.)

The cruse lines are banking on lots of people booking early at high prices to maximize profits, and then offering cut rate deals after final payment to fill any empty cabins that remain. :mad:

The problem is folks like you who booked early but get upset about the rate drops after final payment. The cruise lines are risking future business and goodwill from otherwise happy customers who feel taken advantage of. ;)

You would simply NOT BELIEVE the ridiculously low prices I have paid for my cruises because I am able to book late, and take advantage of "last minute" deals. (usually 3-7 weeks prior to sail away)

Recent examples are a 15 night cruise for $449pp with $250 OBC, or a 23 night cruise for $799pp with $250 OBC

With instant communication/marketing/purchasing available through the internet, more people are waiting later to book. :cool:

Edited by teecee60

The price for our balcony on a cruise from San Francisco was $5999 when we paid in full in mid Apr. It is now $4999. Our travel agent insists nothing can be done because we are past the payment in full date. I have asked her to argue with Princess on our behalf - so far nothing. This sucks!!! Any suggestions on what we can do to get a reduction.

My goodness with all your cruising experience. I thought you would know the answer to your question?

If your past final payment date there is nothing doing. Prior to final payment date Princess would have considered refaring it.

What I have found is if you are flexible and not stuck on a certain cabin then you can afford to wait until after final payment. Then book a cabin. Lot of people do this.

However, if your cabin fussy, want a certain cruise, need to book your airfare then you book the cruise. Your happy with the price at the time of booking (otherwise you wouldn't have paid your deposit).

Next time wait until after final payment to book a cruise.

Edited by icat2000

If your past final payment date there is nothing doing. Prior to final payment date Princess would have considered refaring it.

What I have found is if you are flexible and not stuck on a certain cabin then you can afford to wait until after final payment. Then book a cabin. Lot of people do this.

However, if your cabin fussy, want a certain cruise, need to book your airfare then you book the cruise. Your happy with the price at the time of booking (otherwise you wouldn't have paid your deposit).

Next time wait until after final payment to book a cruise.

hmmm

meerkat-simples.jpg

:cool:

Depending on the cruise line, and/or your country of residence, you are sometimes able to upgrade to a nicer cabin that has also come down in price. (Celebrity does this for (at least) US customers on a regular basis.)

Fine if it's regular price, but especially after final payment a lot of bookings are 'new bookings only' and you won't be able to 'upgrade' to them either. They will upgrade at the regular rate, rather than the promotional rate.

Does your head in when you see things like that, but it is always worth asking if there is anything that is worth trying. I would imagine that there is little incentive for a TA to work more to then end up with less commission. You would hope they value your return business, but that is just one of those niggling doubts I have as a seasoned cynic, and that it why it would take a lot of incentive for me to give my cruise booking to a TA.

I had a friend recently bought a new car and it was on sale two weeks later for $2,500 less. It is the way of things. You have to be happy with the price you got on the day you paid your money, and then don't look again! It is nice if you look and see the price has gone up ;). Imagine if the cruise lines expected us to stump up more then? We wouldn't like that idea.

I think the only issue is that it is after final payment. I have been really impressed with Princess this week because I noticed a large drop in price on our cruise later this year, I phoned through and they were happy to re-fare it. That was a direct booking through Princess though.

I do generally understand the other responses along the lines of - if you are happy with the price when you pay, you should be still happy with the price later if it drops. However, the thing that really bugs me is that most cruise lines appear to honour price drops for those who live in other countries, but not for us here in Australia. If it is a universal rule of not honouring price drops, then so be it, but not when they allow it for some, but not others.

Anyhow, after my experience this week with Princess, I will certainly be cruising with them again, and will have confidence booking early.

Does your head in when you see things like that, but it is always worth asking if there is anything that is worth trying. I would imagine that there is little incentive for a TA to work more to then end up with less commission. You would hope they value your return business, but that is just one of those niggling doubts I have as a seasoned cynic, and that it why it would take a lot of incentive for me to give my cruise booking to a TA.

I had a friend recently bought a new car and it was on sale two weeks later for $2,500 less. It is the way of things. You have to be happy with the price you got on the day you paid your money, and then don't look again! It is nice if you look and see the price has gone up ;). Imagine if the cruise lines expected us to stump up more then? We wouldn't like that idea.

It's not a TA being lazy or apathetic! Fact is, the cruise line's reservation system does not allow for something to be repriced after final payment. And if you call them, they won't do it, regardless of how much someone argues with them. It's like going to Harvey Norman and buying a fridge. Then two weeks later, the fridge goes on sale for half price. Gerry Harvey isn't going to give you 50% of your money back! It's just the way it is and people need to accept it.

If you see a cruise you want to do, and you get the cabin you want for a price you're happy to pay, why keep watching the prices? Otherwise, if you want to pay less, then wait until it's closer to sailing and risk not getting the cabin you want, or risk the sailing being sold out altogether.

But the cruise lines are even going to phase out the cheap last minute deals. RCI, much like the "for new bookings only" rule with their promotions, are phasing out last minute deals. And I can guarantee, just like the "new bookings only" rule, other cruise lines will follow suit.

Edited by Royalty X

You cannot compare buying a cruise with buying a new car. With the latter you pay a tiny deposit and pay for the car on delivery. With cruises, you pay a small deposit, then final payment in full up to 90 days before the cruise.

Now, if you put $100 down on a new car, then prior to delivery the price was reduced because of a promotion to move unsold cars, would you pay the original price? I wouldn't.

To save lots of money, the answer is not to book a cruise until after final payment. Make relevant flight bookings, and have a plan B.

I have no sympathy for cruise lines which discriminate against Aussies, through more favourable booking conditions overseas.

Roxalty X -

"But the cruise lines are even going to phase out the cheap last minute deals. RCI, much like the "for new bookings only" rule with their promotions, are phasing out last minute deals. And I can guarantee, just like the "new bookings only" rule, other cruise lines will follow suit."

If there are no last minute cheap deals, how will the cruise lines fill their ships? They may not advertise these deals on their own websites, but they will sell empty cabins via selected TAs. After all empty cabins are a perishable product. They are not going to forgo all that extra expenditure cruisers make on board - gratuities, alcohol, excursions, shopping, etc.

If prices, plus extras, become too high and people can no longer afford to cruise, they will find less expensive holidays.

It is a fact that self funded retirees, many who cruise, now receive less on their investments because of low interest rates. In addition, some self funded retirees are going to loose their part pensions and benefits, because of change of Government policy.

Edited by MMDown Under

But the cruise lines are even going to phase out the cheap last minute deals. RCI, much like the "for new bookings only" rule with their promotions, are phasing out last minute deals. And I can guarantee, just like the "new bookings only" rule, other cruise lines will follow suit.

If you book with a FCC then you get that back and can cancel the cruise and rebook the new one even if it is for new bookings only. This is Princess I am talking about. Right until 75 days out.

Edited by icat2000

However, the thing that really bugs me is that most cruise lines appear to honour price drops for those who live in other countries, but not for us here in Australia.

Not in general.

As mentioned above in some countries, you can sometimes get a category upgrade if available - in some circumstances - but generally there won't be a price drop after final payment.

But the cruise lines are even going to phase out the cheap last minute deals. RCI, much like the "for new bookings only" rule with their promotions, are phasing out last minute deals.

This is such a furphy, and it's annoying how much it is misquoted.

Someone generalised and misquoted what was said, which was that they're stopping further discounts less than 10 days out for US cruises.

This in no way means 'the end of last minute deals.' I'm sure anyone who got a 14 day cruise for $499 two weeks out - which is entirely permitted under the new statement and could continue to be sold at that price if it remained right up until a couple of days before sailing - would agree with me.

Edited by The_Big_M

This happened to us a few years ago on a Princess Cruise when the price was reduced considerably after final payment. I wrote them a polite letter telling them that I would never again book a year in advance. I also pointed out that they were not treating their loyal customers fairly but giving the discounts to the latecomers.

To my amazement, a woman from Princess rang acknowledging my letter and apologised, but said there was nothing that could be done as it was past final payment date. Lo and behold, the day before we sailed, we were given a very good upgrade, at no extra cost, which pleased us greatly. I must point out however, that the cruise was not sold out so they were probably waiting to see which cabins were unsold before allocating us the upgrade.

The morale to the story - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I emailed Royal a year or so back about miscommunication on board a previous cruise & an open booking ticket.

Turned out they didn't have to do anything about it but as a show of appreciative for being a repeat customer they gave me a few hundred OBC!

So as mentioned, it's always worth emailing because you never know - but you always have to be polite about it. :)

When are you going? I notice from your signature that you have cruises on the Golden in 90 odd days. Is this the cruise you are talking about. If so did you book with an Aussie TA and did they demand payment prior to the 75 days that Princess asks?

Why I ask is final payment is due 75 days prior to your cruise. If your TA has asked for final payment way ahead of this date (some do, one in particular), they have not paid Princess yet as they pay Princess 75 days prior to the cruise. They still have your money. I don't see why they can't reduce the amount as they haven't paid them yet. Begs the question of how much they will be paying the cruise line, doesn't it.

I now only book direct with Princess as this is one of the reasons why.

When are you going? I notice from your signature that you have cruises on the Golden in 90 odd days. Is this the cruise you are talking about. If so did you book with an Aussie TA and did they demand payment prior to the 75 days that Princess asks?

Why I ask is final payment is due 75 days prior to your cruise. If your TA has asked for final payment way ahead of this date (some do' date=' one in particular), they have not paid Princess yet as they pay Princess 75 days prior to the cruise. They still have your money. I don't see why they can't reduce the amount as they haven't paid them yet. Begs the question of how much they will be paying the cruise line, doesn't it.

I now only book direct with Princess as this is one of the reasons why.[/quote']

Yes and booked with Aussie TA. Spoke to Princess today and they won't budge. They acknowledges that I had paid in full but for "privacy reasons" they wanted me to go through my TA. Whose privacy? The TA won't help me either. I now will only book direct. TA is now in my "bucket list".

I emailed Royal a year or so back about miscommunication on board a previous cruise & an open booking ticket.

Turned out they didn't have to do anything about it but as a show of appreciative for being a repeat customer they gave me a few hundred OBC!

So as mentioned, it's always worth emailing because you never know - but you always have to be polite about it. :)

Thanks for your advice. I will send a polite email tomorrow when I have calmed down;)

Yes and booked with Aussie TA. Spoke to Princess today and they won't budge. They acknowledges that I had paid in full but for "privacy reasons" they wanted me to go through my TA. Whose privacy? The TA won't help me either. I now will only book direct. TA is now in my "bucket list".

Because the booking is between you and your TA. Once you shift a booking from the cruiseline or book directly with the TA then the cruiseline won't deal with you directly.

One of the reasons why I book directly with Princess and keep the booking there unless a TA can offer me something better Whether it be OBC or cheaper cabin fare.

I've had no problems refaring through Princess. I also book mainly with FCC. I had one TA when I enquired about a booking stating they would book my cruise using FCC but they wanted an extra $75 deposit. I said, I would book directly with the cruiseline and have crossed that TA off my list.

Edited by icat2000

I take back my earlier comment thinking that the issue is that it is past final payment. This appears to be an issue with your TA. Firstly, not sure why they have made you pay in full already, secondly not sure why they won't re-fare it. I appear to be on the same cruise and my final payment isn't due for over a month, and, Princess were happy to re-fare this cruise for me last week when I noticed the reduction (I booked direct).

To me this is yet another reason to not use Australian TA's. I have always booked direct except for a cruise last year where I tried a TA for the first time. That booking last year was messed up in a number of ways due to the TA. That, on top of their reluctance to honour price drops will ensure that I will never use them again.

Appears the TA is unresponsive, not Princess.

If the TA is willing, they can contact Princess and with your permission give the booking back to Princess. I did this once when a TA didn't give me what they promised.

Was just on the phone with Princess today.......we had booked a cruise which was cancelled (Golden Princess) and we were given $75 Goodwill OBC p/p which I applied to another booking which was booked with a FCC. Had also added on the two nighter before it, booked separately with a deposit.

I noticed over the weekend that the two cruises are now offered as one, Syd/Syd, cheaper and with lots more OBC, so one phone call later we have one booking, $100 cheaper each AND $560 OBC:p thats $230 more than we had!! and our FCC has been moved 3 times. Plus our deposit for the two nighter has been paid on the new cruise already.

No admin charges for changing the bookings, never a problem to change cabins or categories.

I always prefer to book direct with Princess. Other lines I may use a TA, US or OZ.

Chez