Viking Rinda Doesn't Dock in Paris

snfman

I found out from Viking, of course.

Here is a cut and paste that I wrote elsewhere. The reply from Viking was less than a week ago. Since they review these boards, let them tell us otherwise-

Hi, Me again

My agent got a reply ( to an e-mail I wrote to Viking.

Just to repeat- I have a Viking Rinda cruise in late July.

We will not be docking in Paris. The reply came from Athena Worth at the "Help" desk.

They will NOT compensate for the additional costs incurred in getting to Le Pecq.

And they don't reply to a simple request to take out luggage either at the airport in Paris or at the port that we expected to be.

She concluded with-

-"our team is working diligently to ensure our guests will be able to optimize their time in Paris in light of the circumstances."

What could that mean?

Again I will repeat, with so many other companies providing the same service, I will not cruise Viking again.

To be honest getting on a bus at le Peq to do the Paris tour is not that different to getting on a bus at the standard docks to do the Paris tour.

Outside of the busy times le Peq is not that far from Central Paris & I would have thought that if you really want to do Paris you should have a few nights in a hotel at either end.

River Cruising is not about perfection, it is about having a great holiday whatever is thrown at you !

On another note, the Paris to Normandy cruise is not for those that don't like coaches. The distance from Rouen to the Normandy Beaches is about the same as the distance from Rouen to Paris. Apart from Rouen (in Upper Normandy), the best bits of Normandy are in Lower Normandy, especially the Calvados Department which covers Honfleur, lovely old buildings, cheese, and loads of invasion stuff including the WW2 landing beaches plus William the Conqueror stuff from 1066

...the best bits of Normandy are in Lower Normandy, especially the Calvados Department which covers Honfleur, lovely old buildings, cheese, and loads of invasion stuff including the WW2 landing beaches plus William the Conqueror stuff from 1066
Another area where Viking does not come out on top. There may be other Seine River cruises that go no further than Rouen in Upper Normandy, but many if not most continue into Lower Normandy, with at least a couple of lines docking in Honfleur. Admittedly that is still a distance from Caen, Bayeau and the beaches, but a lot closer than Viking gets. Given that it is less than 70 miles from Le Pecq to Rouen by road (and less than that as the crow flies), I'm wondering why people are bothering with this "cruise".

Thom

We booked expecting to be in Paris not in Le Pecq. Very disappointed and will not travel with Viking again. We wanted a river cruise not a bus trip. We were on buses at every location. All the information we received said we would dock in Paris--prevarication. We got our documents just a few days before the sail date and the map included showed we would be docked in Paris. When we sent in our evaluation, we received no reply, neither when we send an email. Finally, I called and got no satisfaction. For your information, the food was very average, service was good and the activities poor. Nothing like they advertise. If you want to go on a river cruise, find another line.

David- Are you for real?

You need to read what others are saying who are being subjected to Le Pecq instead of Paris. It's not getting on a bus in Paris to do the tour. It's being in Paris for the free time. This "cruise" does not leave "Paris" until the night of day two. It is called "Paris and the heart of Normandy". I was mistaken for thinking I would be docked in Paris. Viking never had a permit for the Rinda for Paris. But they advertised it that way regardless.

And yes, I am going to be in Paris for three days after the cruise. Under the circumstances I would do five days to make up for what I won't see the first two days. I don't like doing bus tours. I like walking the streets day and night to see foreign cities. Viking advertises being docked in town. This is something else. On day seven, we dock back in Le Pecq and must be bused to Conflans. Again, not what they advertise.

River cruising should deliver what is stated in the literature.

Hello TravellerThom,

do you mean the end of the cruise - the point where the ship turns round back to Paris - is Rouen? I thought Viking went to Caudebec-en-Caux that is three additional bends of the Seine further from Rouen. Other lines go to that small port and then return. Honfleur I have not read as an end /return stop yet, could be tricky for some boats, it looks right out and could be tidal.

Have I understood this correctly? The trip then sounds indeed a bit short and the bus ride to the beaches is of course longer then.

I was wandering if this trip might be for me, not with Viking, but a European company. I do not think I can book Viking with a local TA around here which I would want to do with any cruise. I like service.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

on our recent Paris/Paris with Avalon we saw a scenic river cruise ship docked at honfleur. certainly on their website it states they dock there.

friends recently did 2 cruises with them and were pleased with the experience.

we might consider them next time their product looks good and being based in Oz communication might be easier if there are any issues.

however like every travel purchase research and details need scrutiny. the cost of these cruises and airfares, we fly business given the distance, are not cheap.

...do you mean the end of the cruise - the point where the ship turns round back to Paris - is Rouen? I thought Viking went to Caudebec-en-Caux that is three additional bends of the Seine further from Rouen. Other lines go to that small port and then return. Honfleur I have not read as an end /return stop yet, could be tricky for some boats, it looks right out and could be tidal...
Based on Viking's on-line itinerary http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/cruise-destinations/europe/paris-heart-normandy/2015-paris-rouen-paris/itinerary.html Rouen looks like the turn around point. I know that Vantage and Grand Circle dock in Honfleur (I was there on Vantage two months ago, and we had to climb over the Grand Circle boat to get to shore). Those are both US based companies that sell only directly (not through Travel Agents), and I have heard can be hard to deal with unless you live in the US. I think because of the tides the Honfleur harbor is "locked off" much of the day, and access is only at specific tide levels. It also has a length restriction in the turn around basin, and only shorter boats can do that. Vantage River Venture was built to Honfleur length, and it still took Vantage a year to get permission from the marine authorities to dock there (during the year of wait for permission Vantage was docking in Le Harve). Croisi-Europe also lists docking in Honfleur; not sure if anyone else does, but they might (I just now see pully8's comment that Scenic does Honfleur).

Thom

Hello TravelerThom,

Thank you for the detailed answer. :) CroisiEurope, yes I have just had a look at the itinerary description. Honfleur indeed and from what you have explained about the river and estuary I reckon CroisiEurope is allowed to go there as the ships are shorter than Vikings, i.e. 110 m, but just as wide.

Thank you again.

notamermaid

I note that CroisiEurope does one way cruises between Paris and Honfleur.

That would probably be a good way of having a relaxing river holiday followed by a few nights in Normandy on a car tour. That way you get to see the lovely bits of Normandy at your leisure. There are loads of ways of returning to Paris (including Train) as the distance is not great.

• 4 weeks later...

We took the Croisieurope MS Seine Princess the other direction, from Honfleur to Paris. I liked that route, since it climaxed with Paris by night from the river. Whoa, amazing videos (IMHO) from then. Depending on what precedes that segment for you, of course. Transport from Paris isn't difficult. We were coming from a Dublin week, actually, and rode the overnight ferry to Cherbourg. A bit funky, it suited our mode of exploring. The only truly difficult part was getting to our boat from Cherbourg, since it was a Sunday (should have arrived a day earlier and spent the night in Honfleur. O well, ya learn about this stuff eventually). Another note regarding Croisieurope: they have only a year ago begun marketing to Americans. We enjoyed. Tasteful but not posh, doesn't need to include PBS ads in its overhead. Its approach is French, not Germanic. I can explain more about that if interest is out there. One example is the wine is very good but you'd have to ask for beer. Heh.

Viking Rinda Dock in Paris is disclosing very clearly on the website.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/about-my-ship/docking-locations-ports.html

When I booked in October 2014 that is not what was advertised. Now that they do not have approval to dock the long ships in Paris they put up the new map and have been sending out letters informing guests of the change. Saying that it is disclosing VERY CLEARLY on the website does not make things better for everyone who paid in full and then WERE told the truth.

David- Are you for real?

You need to read what others are saying who are being subjected to Le Pecq instead of Paris. It's not getting on a bus in Paris to do the tour. It's being in Paris for the free time. This "cruise" does not leave "Paris" until the night of day two. It is called "Paris and the heart of Normandy". I was mistaken for thinking I would be docked in Paris. Viking never had a permit for the Rinda for Paris. But they advertised it that way regardless.

And yes, I am going to be in Paris for three days after the cruise. Under the circumstances I would do five days to make up for what I won't see the first two days. I don't like doing bus tours. I like walking the streets day and night to see foreign cities. Viking advertises being docked in town. This is something else. On day seven, we dock back in Le Pecq and must be bused to Conflans. Again, not what they advertise.

River cruising should deliver what is stated in the literature.

I agree with everything you have said.

When I booked in October 2014 that is not what was advertised. Now that they do not have approval to dock the long ships in Paris they put up the new map and have been sending out letters informing guests of the change. Saying that it is disclosing VERY CLEARLY on the website does not make things better for everyone who paid in full and then WERE told the truth.

Your right!

Viking Rinda Dock in Paris is disclosing very clearly on the website.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/about-my-ship/docking-locations-ports.html

However, if you do a Google maps from where the ship docks to Paris

" via A14 38 min

12.8 miles

35 min without traffic · Show traffic

Details

via A86 41 min

TrainRER BTrainRER ADrive 44 min"

you will see that the place where the ship docks to Paris is 12.8 miles. How many would think to check for the exact location of the mooring. Basically, Viking is totally lying about where the ship docks.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I believe if you look at the post above yours you will see I agree!

The post of mine you are quoting was posted in May and at THAT TIME Viking was saying this was only temporary until July ;)

And now we know how that seems to have turned out.... My asking questions about this issue on the Viking FB wall got me BANNED from posting there. While at one time I thought I might sail with them, banning me was the last straw!

Edited by JVilleGal

Just to compare Paris to Vienna:

My ship, the Belvedere, was docked in Nussdorf. That is a suburb of Vienna where a lot of ships dock these days. Viking, I believe, still use their own berth right at the town centre.

Nussdorf to town centre is a bit of a distance to cover. Google maps gave me this - to be fair I chose a spot in the town centre not near the Stephansdom where I do not remember seeing car access anyway it being at the pedestrian zone :

Nussdorf docks to Herrengasse in town centre:

7.5 kms, 17 minutes in a bit of traffic, 15 min. without.

Public transport is 8 min. on the tram and 35 min. walk, so a total of 43 min. for that. Depending on how you arrange it you can combine two trams and walk less in the town centre.

Nussdorf was fine for me.

Remembering the feel of going from Nussdorf village to the town centre, I can imagine what it must feel like to dock even further out like it seems to be the case with the Viking Rinda. I would feel cheated if I had booked this on the assumption that the ship was docked on the Seine stretch near or in the town centre.

notamermaid

The change in docking location is very disappointing to me. When I booked last fall, I remember looking at the maps online to see where the ship would be docked. My husband and I could not add on days before or after the cruise due to work restrictions, so being centrally located where we could experience Paris for a few days was an important factor in booking. For me personally, had I known where the Rinda is actually docking, I would not have booked this cruise. I would have selected another destination or cruise line. That being said, I am glad to see that the majority of people posting here seem to have enjoyed their cruise despite the docking situation. It's just going to require a little more work to see the most of Paris that we can.

Universally, everyone who have written says that the Rinda crew worked hard to please.

That's good. And honestly, I expect that on a river cruise. I continue to be unhappy with the suits (and pants-suits) at Viking. They really exceled at being unresponsive to questions. And when they responded, the answer was "no". Today I received a second letter from Viking explaining the change. Actually, it was the letter that should have gone to my travel agent. It was addressed to her and mailed to me. That's more of the same from Viking. It was signed by Joost Ouendag, Vice president of Product Development. I think he is due for a promotion.

Could someone, anyone tell me why the ship does not dock in Conflans on day 7? What has that to do with the Paris port authority situation?

And I continue to be amazed at the number of people who just "grin and bare it".

we have learnt after 8 European river cruises and reading this and other travel forums, that what is printed in promotional material is not necessarily so. you cannot rely on it to describe what you actually will experience in terms of ports visited or embarkation or disembarkation.

our Paris/Paris was Paris/Vernon bussed to Paris. Zurich to Vienna was bussed from Zurich to Strasberg to Vienna and actual ports varied.

wise to know that flexibility is key. be prepared for changes.

like others we make independent plans pre and post, and arrangements can be compromised when changes occur. we try to mitigate those risks as much as possible.

the itinerary is a guide, the reality maybe more like a mystery cruise.

This applies also to ocean cruising. Almost every cruise I have been on we have missed a port for one reason or another. Sometime the port remains but the location is different. Things happen

I join the Rinda Monday and am looking forward to the cruise no matter where it goes

In fact because of Bastille Day we join the ship in St. Denis due to lock closure.

Viking sent me a personal email notifying me of the change

Robert S

Roberts2005 have a great trip! We are on the Rinda Aug 30th. We feel the same way. Go with the flow. I booked our air and 3 days prior in Paris myself. We will be happy to get on the ship where ever it is dock after full on touring and Moulin Rouge.

Roberts2005 have a great trip! We are on the Rinda Aug 30th. We feel the same way. Go with the flow. I booked our air and 3 days prior in Paris myself. We will be happy to get on the ship where ever it is dock after full on touring and Moulin Rouge.

Thanks for your good wishes. I will try to post what is going on as we proceed