What cabin to get on a transatlantic?

We are booked on the Harmony transatlantic for Oct 2016. Right now we are booked on a balcony as that is what we are used to but with 8 days at sea, I'm not sure if that is a wise decision. I'm curious what the majority of you do for transatlantics?

I am going back and forth on if I should switch from our balcony to either a boardwalk or central park. Help! :rolleyes:

I always go for a balcony cabin on transatlantics. The reason is I'm more likely to be in my cabin then a port intensive cruise when you are off the ship most of the day.

For example early AM rather than rushing up to get breakfast at the windjammer before a shore excursion more likely to spend some time on the balcony or even have a leisurely drink/watch sunrise.

Now on Harmony I've gone for an aft Boardwalk view one so get a bit of sea view out over the Aqua theatre.

If you like the Sun then sea view westbound TA you need to be on port side if you want the Sun, starboard facing north will be mostly in shade. Eastbound is the reverse..

However for Oasis-class the inward facing balconies are reverse of the sea view. So a Central Park or boardwalk facing South to get some Sun will be on the Starboard side. Port side park/Boardwalk will face north and be mostly in shade!

We are also on the Harmony TA and have a ocean view balcony, port side, hump.

We just booked the Allure TA, with a Boardwalk balcony, for this fall. There were no ocean view balconies available. I think it might be fun to people watch. If, we like the Boardwalk balcony, we might change to one on the Harmony. I'll let you know, when we get back. :)

A balcony overlooking the sea anyday. Why would you really want to sit on a balcony overlooking everyone on the other side of the Boardwalk or Central Park?

My guess is that it's because those staterooms are less expensive.

A balcony overlooking the sea anyday. Why would you really want to sit on a balcony overlooking everyone on the other side of the Boardwalk or Central Park?

You can people watch. You can watch Entertainment from the comfort of your balcony (Aqua theatre) and yes lots cheaper.

You can people watch. You can watch Entertainment from the comfort of your balcony (Aqua theatre) and yes lots cheaper.

Do you know if you can see the Aqua Theater, if your cabin is the 5th one from the back? Never had one before. Deck 8

Edited by KS Sunflower

• 6 months later...

Bob, as usual, is correct. Gotta pick your balcony on the south side. Although, I am partial to the south side corner aft, on ships that have those. On my two TAs, the sun makes an incredible difference in comfort when the temps are in the 60s to low 70s.

jc

We are also booked on the Transatlantic. We have a Central Park balcony--we live two blocks from the beach in New Jersey and see the ocean every day.

We also saw enough of the ocean on our TA last spring on Brilliance. We had an oceanview on Deck 3, and the waves were crashing over our window for two or three days!

This will be our fourth transatlantic, but the first with any kind of balcony.

Beth

Here is a picture demonstrating the Sun thing. This was taken from our port side balcony on Deck 9 of Independence [9656 to be precise] during our eastbound TA. You can see the shadow of the ship on the water. We were obviously on the shady side -- not following the advice above. Our selection was driven by price (as I recall about $600 pp for 2 weeks in a D balcony). But didn't find the shade to be a noticeable detriment to enjoying the balcony.

DSC00363.jpg